Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Help Me Plan My Trip to Hawaii" thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "Help Me Plan My Trip to Hawaii" thread

Search this Thread

Old Jul 28, 2014, 7:24 am
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by carsnoceans
Been reading some controversial opinions on Tunnels and Queens Bath. Are they really that challenging?
In the winter? Absolutely.

Originally Posted by thetravelingRedhead
Also, my crazy mind is also wondering, how accommodating is the island to dogs? Interms of activities, hotels, etc. Our dog is like a child to us, and we have thought about bringing her along (a little 14 pound Daschund).
Unless you are prepared to meet the stringent requirements outlined in excruciating detail here
http://hdoa.hawaii.gov/ai/files/2013/01/aqsbrochure.pdf
you'll want to re-think bringing your dog.

In fact, you'll notice that the brochure talks only about moving to Hawaii; I have never known anyone to do the quarantine requirements just for a visit, and most hotels (except some mostly catering to locals) go a long time between seeing a visitor with a dog.
Old Jul 28, 2014, 3:15 pm

Programs: BA, DL, HA, etc
Originally Posted by WRCSolberg
I would be very, very careful here as Hawaii's agriculture/animal laws are some of the strictest in the nation. Do your research, but it sounds like your dog will have to be examined and then quarantined for 24 hours before they release it to you. Make sure your up to date on shots and vaccines, you don't want to give them a reason to hold your dog any longer than necessary. I'm also not sure how it will work if you want to island hop.
A friend bought a puppy on the mainland, had shots and vet papers and had the dog shipped here. The dog arrived 1 day too early. There were two choices, put the dog in quarantine for months on Oahu OR ship the dog back to the mainland for the number of months. She opted to ship the dog back, even though that flight is excruciating for humans and worse for animals.

Hawaii is NOT the place to casually bring animals jsut because you want them with you.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/poli...icle-1.1562224

Leave the dog at home.

There are a limited number of interisland flights that allow dogs and a limited number of live animals on those limited flights. (I have shipped puppies interisland and it is a hassle and expensive). They want the dogs on direct flights. They must have specific paperwork, be hand carried to the CARGO area, have been fed and have water for the trip, be on a direct flight, have proper certificates, be picked up at CARGO on the remote side, etc.
Old Jul 28, 2014, 6:06 pm
was thetravelingRedhead

Programs: Delta Silver Medallion, United Silver Premier
I think there is seasonal direct flight by AA. UA has a direct thats going right now.
Originally Posted by WRCSolberg
That's a fairly good deal, yeah. I don't think Hawaiian flies direct ORD-HNL though.

I would be very, very careful here as Hawaii's agriculture/animal laws are some of the strictest in the nation. Do your research, but it sounds like your dog will have to be examined and then quarantined for 24 hours before they release it to you. Make sure your up to date on shots and vaccines, you don't want to give them a reason to hold your dog any longer than necessary. I'm also not sure how it will work if you want to island hop.
Its a ORD-LAX-HNL flight. VX/HA with a 6 hour lay over. AA/UA do fly non stop, but I really want to try VX/HA and don't mind a layover. flying is part of the trip to me.

Originally Posted by Lavarock7
A friend bought a puppy on the mainland, had shots and vet papers and had the dog shipped here. The dog arrived 1 day too early. There were two choices, put the dog in quarantine for months on Oahu OR ship the dog back to the mainland for the number of months. She opted to ship the dog back, even though that flight is excruciating for humans and worse for animals.

Hawaii is NOT the place to casually bring animals jsut because you want them with you.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/poli...icle-1.1562224

Leave the dog at home.

There are a limited number of interisland flights that allow dogs and a limited number of live animals on those limited flights. (I have shipped puppies interisland and it is a hassle and expensive). They want the dogs on direct flights. They must have specific paperwork, be hand carried to the CARGO area, have been fed and have water for the trip, be on a direct flight, have proper certificates, be picked up at CARGO on the remote side, etc.
I wasnt thinking about the agriculture laws when I mentioned it. My stupid young brain :P I guess florida will be a better take the dog trip.

I still want to go either way, the place is very awesome.

Suggestions for things to do on Oahu now? ( i had a list I cant find)
Old Jun 15, 2017, 12:30 pm

Programs: status free since 2017
Been reading some controversial opinions on Tunnels and Queens Bath. Are they really that challenging? I am an adventure junkie but this is a family trip so might skip tough bits on this trip.
How about in July? It's HI time again!

Looking to make another trip and seeking suggestions on areas to stay/weather etc. My last trip was greatly enhanced with all the feedback here. I am back to learn a little more from fellow FTers....

trip duration: 4 nights
Not looking for tourist heavy island. Seclusion would be preferred.
Activities: snorkeling, swimming, hiking, eating poke and sleeping (or anything outdoors)

1. FS Lanai has been on my list since it's big renovation. Little on the expensive side but looks beautiful!
Also, there is a (recent) Mrs carsnoceans now... so tiny, secluded island doesn't sound that bad.

2. Kauai again. It's a beautiful island. Question is - north side or south side. Last time, I took a apartment rental right behind Queens bath. How would one compare this against staying on south side of the island?

3. Big island - still haven't visited here but 4 nights seem too little for this huge island.

Appreciate the help!
Old Jun 15, 2017, 12:44 pm

Programs: AA/UA/UR/MRP/IHG Plat
North Shore Kauai in and around Hanalei is terrific. Some resorts, condos and house rentals in the general area. Especially nice late afternoon and evening, when the crowds from the south shore clear out and head back, the town is really nice and pretty quiet. Decent selection of restaurants and bars, and takeout. The bay is great for walks and swimming; tunnels up the road is a favorite for snorkeling. kayaking on the river and going inland is really neat.
Old Jun 15, 2017, 1:41 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
If you want seclusion, I would also suggest Lana'i and North Shore Kaua'i - these are about the only two spots less likely to be overrun during peak summer season. If you want the FS Lana'i, PM or email me for more information and options on the resort.
Old Jun 16, 2017, 8:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
I highly recommend the north shore of Kauai. Last time we were there, we stayed in a very nice condo in Princeville overlooking the ocean. In fact, it was so nice that I ended up proposing marriage to my sweetheart whilst sipping on champagne as we were admiring the sunset. Her response? "Well, another glass of this excellent bubbly and anything is possible....."
Old Jun 16, 2017, 11:22 am

Programs: BA, DL, HA, etc
Originally Posted by cblaisd
I have never known anyone to do the quarantine requirements just for a visit, and most hotels (except some mostly catering to locals) go a long time between seeing a visitor with a dog.
Obama did it.

http://abcnews.go.com/Travel/obama-d...ry?id=12475369
Old Jun 16, 2017, 12:15 pm

Programs: AA: 2 MM
Originally Posted by jlemon
I highly recommend the north shore of Kauai. Last time we were there, we stayed in a very nice condo in Princeville overlooking the ocean. In fact, it was so nice that I ended up proposing marriage to my sweetheart whilst sipping on champagne as we were admiring the sunset. Her response? "Well, another glass of this excellent bubbly and anything is possible....."
She might have yes, "Yes!" if you had stayed on the south side.
Old Jun 16, 2017, 12:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by ILuvParis
She might have yes, "Yes!" if you had stayed on the south side.
Well, I did indeed pour her another glass of champagne and she then said "Yes!"
Old Jun 16, 2017, 12:45 pm

Programs: AA: 2 MM
Originally Posted by jlemon
Well, I did indeed pour her another glass of champagne and she then said "Yes!"
Well, you forgot that part of the story.
Old Jun 16, 2017, 1:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ILuvParis
Well, you forgot that part of the story.
Yep, I sure did.....and thank goodness I still had some champagne left!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.