Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Hawaii
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Renting Cars in Honolulu or at HNL - questions/suggestions" thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "Renting Cars in Honolulu or at HNL - questions/suggestions" thread

Search this Thread

Old Sep 26, 2010, 10:16 am

Programs: AA Plat, Hilton Diamond
Sunday most remaining tourists will be heading towards HNL airport. If you head to North Shore by way of Pali or LikeLike highways, you will have moderate to heavy traffic for a very short stretch. Returning from North Shore by Hawaii Kai there is a great Costco. Monday you will find more traffic as the locals will be travelling for work reasons. I vote for renting a car on Sunday. If you arrived Saturday night from the mainland...you may wake up early Sunday by Hawaii time. Check your rental car at pickup and return very carefully for damage.
Old Sep 26, 2010, 10:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
I'm going to disagree a bit. I think during the week, at non-rush hours, will be better.

On Sunday the locals are all on the road, and lots of them go "to the country" to the North shore. You'll see many families having luaus at various parks. Traffic will be heavier there.

During the week, if you go via the East route (through Hawaii Kai), any remaining traffic will be going the other way toward HNL. You can also come back that way. I wouldn't recommend coming back via the Pali during the week as it's always trafficy

I also prefer to let the locals enjoy their parks and island on the weekends without being overrun by tourists

I do agree about the Costco in Hawaii Kai - it's a nice one, plus you can get the cheapest lunch on the island there
Old Sep 26, 2010, 3:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
I was kind of leaning toward a Monday rental because the locals will be at work and not at the beaches. This will resort in a morning & evening rush hour issue I know. How about heading in a clockwise direction about 9AM (Waikiki>Mililani>Waimea>Laie>Kaneohe>Waimanalo>Wa ikiki) and stopping at the Hawaii Kai Costco after 6 or 7PM.
That would put us back to Waikiki about 8 or 9PM. Thoughts?

We'll probably be renting the car at the Hertz desk at Hilton Haw. Village. Do they have an after-hours drop area where we can unload the car and avoid paying an overnight parking fee?

Last edited by philemer; Sep 27, 2010 at 7:02 am Reason: fix directions
Old Sep 26, 2010, 8:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
That's the way we usually go, but leave later than 9am - more like 9:30-10am and it's generally ok.

We don't stay that long - and are usually back in Waikiki around 5pm or so, but I don't see any problem at all with your plans. I'm not sure what time costco closes. In NJ it's 8:30pm I would check, but can't imagine it's much different.

I haven't a clue about the hertz desk at all. I would call them directly to see how to handle it.
Old Sep 26, 2010, 9:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Location: Honolulu, Hawaiʻi [+MKK4 EBBER R577 EDSEL R577 ELKEY EXERT]
Originally Posted by Mary2e
I'm going to disagree a bit. I think during the week, at non-rush hours, will be better.

On Sunday the locals are all on the road, and lots of them go "to the country" to the North shore. You'll see many families having luaus at various parks. Traffic will be heavier there.
We did a circle island tour in the Prius over the Labor Day weekend on Sunday, leaving at about 1 p.m. and ending up passing Kahuku around 3 p.m.-ish. The only traffic we came across was after Sunset Beach. That was backed up for a good 15 minutes until we got closer to Haleiwa town. No traffic anywhere else. Of course, it could've been worse earlier in the day, and perhaps it was, but that was our experience that particular day.

The problem with Monday is that if you come back to town during 4 p.m.-7 p.m. via the H-2/H-1 route, inevitably, somewhere along the H-1, you'll hit traffic. On Sunday, no such traffic on the freeway. I suppose if you do it on Monday, you could always try coming back into town as Mary suggested going all the way back through Hawaii Kai, but that's a pretty far route to backtrack. You could also try the Pali/Likelike Highways but you'll snag a little in Kaneohe and again in town.

Now, seeing how you're planning a January travel date, if there is any bit of crazy North Shore waves at all, the North Shore, regardless of whether it's a Sunday or Monday will be packed with tons of people trying to go and watch the waves. So this discussion could be moot.

I also prefer to let the locals enjoy their parks and island on the weekends without being overrun by tourists
Thanks.
I do agree about the Costco in Hawaii Kai - it's a nice one, plus you can get the cheapest lunch on the island there
But no gas station, unfortunately.
Originally Posted by philemer
I was kind of leaning toward a Monday rental because the locals will be at work and not at the beaches. This will resort in a morning & evening rush hour issue I know. How about heading in a counter clockwise direction about 9AM (Waikiki>Mililani>Waimea>Laie>Kaneohe>Waimanalo>Wa ikiki) and stopping at the Hawaii Kai Costco after 6 or 7PM.
That would put us back to Waikiki about 8 or 9PM. Thoughts?

We'll probably be renting the car at the Hertz desk at Hilton Haw. Village. Do they have an after-hours drop area where we can unload the car and avoid paying an overnight parking fee?
The above itinerary sounds good, but just remember that Costco closes at 8:30 p.m. If you do this on Sunday, Costco closes at 6 p.m. So perhaps that will factor into your decision. There is a Costco in Waipio on the way back from the North Shore (near the large Tony Group Auto Mall visible from the Freeway before you get to Mililani), so if you do it the other way, you'd also have a Costco there (with a gas station, but probably too far from Waikiki to ensure that it's still full when you return the rental). With the above itinerary, you'll snag traffic in town a little but should be pretty smooth sailing until getting to Kaneohe around rush hour.

The only issue I'd have with the itinerary is that you'd be at the beach, if you make a stop on the N. Shore, probably around Noon-1, the hottest hours of the day. We like to go around 3-4, when it's a little cooler and people are leaving, meaning that parking is easier to find (I suppose another reason to choose Monday over Sunday, since there'll be less parking on Sunday). So that's why we did the reverse route on our little trip earlier this month. Also, you can get in an unbelievable sunset if you drive out to Mokuleia near where the road ends heading to Laie Point. You can then drive back in the dark using the freeway without any traffic.

Make sure to skip Matsumoto's (overrated) and have some shave ice at Aoki's in Haleiwa (right next door to Matsumoto's), shrimp at the shack near Kahuku, and shave ice again at Kokonuts (where Obama dropped by once) in the Hawaii Kai Town Center (across the lake from Costco).

Last edited by slippahs; Sep 26, 2010 at 9:52 pm
Old Sep 29, 2010, 12:11 pm

Programs: AS MVPG
id say go on sunday if you want less traffic, and monday if you want less bodies at the beach. costco in honolulu is always packed. hit the one in waipio on the way back from north shore (still packed) but maybe not as much so
Old Dec 2, 2010, 5:22 pm

Programs: DL Diamond Medallion; SPG Platinum; Hilton Gold
Would you recommend renting a moped for a day?

I haven't seen any posts on this... Would anyone recommend renting a moped for a day and drive around the entire island?

Any recommendations for where to rent and anything I should be aware of?
Old Dec 2, 2010, 5:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
Originally Posted by jdk_74
I haven't seen any posts on this... Would anyone recommend renting a moped for a day and drive around the entire island?

Any recommendations for where to rent and anything I should be aware of?
Which of the four main islands are you talking about?
Old Dec 2, 2010, 6:00 pm

Programs: DL Diamond Medallion; SPG Platinum; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by philemer
Which of the four main islands are you talking about?
Oahu.

I've been looking at hawaiimoped.com
Old Dec 2, 2010, 7:34 pm

Programs: HAL Pualani Platinum, Delta Gold
If you just want to cruise around the waikiki diamondhead area then its not a bad idea, but if you are planning on doing a tour around the whole island I wouldn't recommend it. The rental mopeds don't got much faster than 25-35 and aren't allowed on the freeways. If you want to tour the whole island I'd recommend renting a car, its much safer.
Old Jan 9, 2011, 12:14 pm

Programs: Aeroplan SE AND 1MM, HHonors Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum , L'Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by vrbaba
There are local rental locations in Waikiki which provide a great option of renting during the day. The only downside is they close in the evening. For e.g. National closes at 7pm. So you just have to be back early enough to avoid overnight parking.

I am planning on overnight parking at the hotel for one of the nights (1 day rate). I may do another day rental only if we feel like it.

If one wants to book for more than 1 consecutive day from the downtown rental location, any chance that the car rental agency will allow for overnight free parking at their location, rather than keeping it overnight at the Embassy Suites parking lot for $25 per night?
Old Jan 9, 2011, 5:03 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Your trip is short.. so each second is valuable on the island.. my vote is to rent a car.^
Old Jan 20, 2011, 12:01 pm

There is plenty of free overnight parking past the Honolulu Zoo. We stayed at the Hyatt for a week in Nov '09 before our cruise and we parked there every night without any issues. During the day (10am-6pm I believe), it's only 25 cents for 15 or 30 mins so you have move the car or pay the meter. The walk is about 10 mins but it saves me $25 per night.
Old Jan 20, 2011, 10:26 pm
Moderator: New York City and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, Natl EC
Originally Posted by alem25
There is plenty of free overnight parking past the Honolulu Zoo. We stayed at the Hyatt for a week in Nov '09 before our cruise and we parked there every night without any issues. During the day (10am-6pm I believe), it's only 25 cents for 15 or 30 mins so you have move the car or pay the meter. The walk is about 10 mins but it saves me $25 per night.
That's great info now that the Marina has raised their rates - please post it here!

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hawai...ns-thread.html
Old Jan 21, 2011, 12:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Location: Honolulu, Hawaiʻi [+MKK4 EBBER R577 EDSEL R577 ELKEY EXERT]
Originally Posted by alem25
While this is a cheap (free) place to park at night, it should come with a big disclaimer that local cops know this place to be a go-to place for targeting break-ins. Don't leave any valuables in the car.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.