Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Turtle Bay Resort

Search this Thread

Old Apr 12, 2013, 7:57 pm
Original Poster

Turtle Bay Resort

We are thinking about visiting Oahu in February / March of next year and are thinking of booking for a week at Turtle Bay Resort. Anyone here have any first hand knowledge of this resort?
We typically visit the Big Island and stay at Hapuna Beach. How do the two compare? We like Hapuna Beach for the beach and the weather as well as privledges at Mauna Kea.
What do you think, will Turtle Bay offer a comparable experience?
Old Apr 12, 2013, 9:11 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, AA Gold
I stayed at Turtle Bay a few years ago and had a good experience. It is really a beautiful, beautiful setting. Great beach. The ocean front rooms are wonderful. We stayed for 2 or 3 days which seemed like a good amount of time. A week might seem a little long as it is fairly far from other areas, but perhaps that is your goal! We did have a minor disappointment as we booked a kayak tour through their activity desk and they failed to tell us that there would be no tour that day after all (though they had apparently known for some time that the tour would not operate that day). They didn't charge us, but they sure didn't apologize either. Otherwise, though, service was excellent. I have not been to Hapuna Beach and so cannot compare.

Last edited by Maykita; Apr 12, 2013 at 9:18 pm
Old Apr 14, 2013, 11:51 am

Programs: UA Gold
I have a different view of Turtle Bay Resort. Not sure how they can get away with calling it a resort, for one thing. It's become a very tired place. The location is wonderful and that alone would be a reason to stay there but otherwise, no. Many of the ocean-front rooms look out over a hideous black roof. It really mars the view. The view rooms on the other side of the building have tiny lanais. Many people prefer the beach cottages. These are right across from the beach but not quite as private as you would expect because of the walking paths running in front of them. Although called "cottages" they do have shared walls as they are set in clusters, one next to the other and so on. The hotel is undergoing renovation, I believe. Once completed it might be a better place to stay.

Having said all that, I will tell you that a lot of people return to Turtle Bay year after year and have no complaints.

It's hard to compare this resort to the Hapuna Beach. We stayed at the Mauna Lani on the Big Island a few months ago. There's no way Turtle Bay is the equivalent of Mauna Lani, nor, I think is it similar to the Hapuna Beach. When we go to Oahu we prefer the Royal Hawaiian but that's in Waikiki. I can't tell from your post if you'd be interested in that part of Oahu.
Old Apr 14, 2013, 12:17 pm

Programs: UA-Platimum 2 MM, HH-Gold, MR-Lifetime Gold, Hyatt-Discoverist
I was there a fews years back, and agree that it's ok if you're looking to get away from everything as there is not much else around. Although when I was there I did drive out to the spot where LOST was being shot, so if you're a fan of that show, you may want to check out that area which is about a 10min drive from the hotel.
PS- awhile back there were some rumors that Starwood was looking at the property, but nothing came of that.
Old Apr 14, 2013, 6:00 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the info. We like Hapuna Beach in part for the isolation on the Kohala Coast, very quiet and no casual walk throughs by anyone once you leave the beach.
I used Google Earth street view to look at the north shore of Oahu and didn't see much that looked enticing. Reminded me of Hawi. Mrs Shagboy likes the cuteness of Kona or Lahaina and bristles at places like Hawi or Captain Cook even. I doubt I could get her out of the airport in Honolulu if we were to stay on Waikiki. Turtle Bay sounds like it may not be the place for us.
Old Apr 15, 2013, 2:20 pm
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
If you are looking for a resort that matches Hapuna or Mauna Kea, I think you will find the Turtle Bay lacking. The JW Marriott at Ko 'Olina might be a better match.
Old Apr 16, 2013, 1:57 pm

Agree. The JW Marriott in Ko Olina is very nice and feels secluded. If you want to get a feeling for the Turtle Bay resort....watch the movie "Forgetting Sarah Marshall"...its filmed at the Turtle Bay resort on Oahu.

But the JW Marriott is far nicer!
Old Aug 3, 2014, 6:37 pm

Any recent experiences?

Has anyone here stayed at Turtle Bay Resort in 2014? I understand they have been through a renovation and wonder how the property and activities rate based on recent visitors' opinions.

If we rent a condo directly from an owner do we have access to the resort amenities and are we able to book kayak and bicycle tours as well as access to the resort pool?
Old Aug 4, 2014, 10:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
I've not stayed there since it was a Hilton and agree the location is fabulous.

BUT... be very careful of their cancellation policy.

This is their deposit & cancellation policy:

Deposit Policy :
Effective January 1st, 2014, All reservations require a credit card at time of booking with a full non-refundable prepayment 14-days prior to arrival, which equals your room charge plus tax for all nights of your reservation, Resort Fees plus tax and all amenities pre-booked for your stay.

Cancellation Policy :
Cancellations must be received 14-days prior to arrival to avoid a full forfeiture of the advance prepayment. Modifications or reduction in nights subject to penalty
This policy alone is enough to keep me from considering it.
Old Aug 7, 2014, 12:04 am

Programs: AA PP, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Nat ExecElite, WN CP
Just left Turtle Bay after a quick 2 day stay and honestly glad we weren't there any longer. Location is amazing, room was nice enough, and the view from the room was very good. Other than that the place ranges from OK to poor. I'm at the Andaz Maui now and the two hotels don't even compare!

Turtle Bay has a mediocre pool, very inconsistent (at best) staff, and a baffling amount of indoor space. Andaz Maui and Grand Hyatt Kauai do a great job of opening up common areas to the outside, while Turtle Bay seems to go out of their way to close off as much as possible. Not sure if it is North Shore thing or an older building thing, but way too much is glassed in an air conditioned there.

I will not be returning to Turtle Bay.
Old Aug 3, 2015, 8:38 am

Programs: UA:1k; MR: PLT; Hilton: Gold
Any recent stays here?

Have a conference in Honolulu and want to get away from Waikiki for a few days. Staying on the island is obviously the easiest option, so we're looking at turtle bay.

The other option is hop over to another island.

Anybody have any thoughts?
Old Aug 3, 2015, 1:45 pm

Programs: AA, B6, UA, HH, WoH
Originally Posted by jmanirish
Any recent stays here?

Have a conference in Honolulu and want to get away from Waikiki for a few days. Staying on the island is obviously the easiest option, so we're looking at turtle bay.

The other option is hop over to another island.

Anybody have any thoughts?
Posts above are accurate on Turtle Bay: nice location, tired hotel.
Suggest you consider Kahala Hotel and Resort. It is $$$ expensive, but worth the time and money saved not schlepping to another island for 2-3 days.
http://www.kahalaresort.com

Last edited by BOSOGG; Aug 4, 2015 at 9:40 am
Old Aug 3, 2015, 9:58 pm

Programs: UA 1KMM, Bonvoy LTE+A, HH D, Nat'l EE, Hertz Plat, Avis PC
Ko Olina is still beautiful. How about the Disney Aulani resort?
Old Aug 4, 2015, 11:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
I've stayed at the Marriott in Ko Olina an enjoyed it. The new Disney property is very nice, though on the pricier side. It definitely has a Disney hotel feel.

I enjoy the North Shore and have selected Turtle Bay right after arrival when I'm looking to relax and chill after the long trip. I've done the same with the Marriott.

I would select Ko Olina if I didn't want to be too far from the action and Turtle Bay if I wanted to be far from the action
Old Aug 5, 2015, 3:56 am

Programs: Virtuoso, Four Seasons PP, RC STARS, MO FanClub, Dorchester Diamond, Luxury Priv, Peninsula PenClub
Originally Posted by BOSOGG
Posts above are accurate on Turtle Bay: nice location, tired hotel.
Suggest you consider Kahala Hotel and Resort. It is $$$ expensive, but worth the time and money saved not schlepping to another island for 2-3 days.
http://www.kahalaresort.com
If you decide on the Kahala Resort, make your reservation through a Virtuoso-affiliated travel agent for the complimentary Virtuoso benefits (buffet breakfast for 2 daily, one-time $100 resort credit, and an upgrade on arrival based on availability).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.