FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hawaii (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hawaii-435/)
-   -   How much earlier should I arrive at OGG (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hawaii/1369689-how-much-earlier-should-i-arrive-ogg.html)

See-Fu Jul 24, 2012 10:48 am

How much earlier should I arrive at OGG

I've got a flight from OGG to LIH and was wondering how much in advance I should arrive at OGG? Thanks

Tony10s Jul 24, 2012 2:40 pm

2 hours if you are not web checking in
Hawaiian Air lobby waits can be very long during the peak tourist times.

Recreation Jul 25, 2012 7:54 am

2nd the 2-hour recommendation.

Maui Time Jul 25, 2012 10:35 am

We fly AA and are typically there between 1 1/2 - 2 hrs in advance. We have arrrived with as little as 1 hr and been fine. Yes, the lines can be long but they move pretty fast. We always check in online and print our boarding passes before we get to the airport. We also try to use the skycap which seems to speed it up a bit. If you will have a rental car, that can add some time. The drop off is off-airport. It only takes about 2 minutes to get shuttled to the airport but sometimes there is a delay getting the car checked back in and then waiting a few minutes for the shuttle to arrive to take you to the airport. My experience is about 10 minutes total.

slippahs Jul 25, 2012 3:41 pm

Wirelessly posted (iPhone-ETOPS: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_1_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9B206 Safari/7534.48.3)

Really depends what time your flight departs and whether the flight is timed to depart with other mainland bound flights. Yesterday, I made it to the airport at 5:15, got my boarding passes (standby), got through security, and made a 5:49 flight. I don't recommend this... But just showing it's doable at certain times of the day. If this were mid afternoon, forget about it.

Tony10s Jul 26, 2012 12:27 am

AA is a bit different than inter island Airlines such as HA ( Hawaiian) that could have 8-10 flights leaving within 1/2-1 hour of each other. ( Inter I and mainland flights vs AA ( American ) that has only a handful of flights all day

With all those flights and people waits can be long during peak tourist inter island hop times

Stgermainparis Mar 22, 2017 10:11 pm

Flight out at 10:45 PM to LAX. When should we arrive at OGG? And how long to allow for drive from Wailea? Returning car rental; no checked bags.

DJ_Iceman Mar 23, 2017 11:21 am

Me, I would leave Wailea around 8:30. Assume you have Pre-check.

Stgermainparis Mar 23, 2017 4:22 pm

Originally Posted by DJ_Iceman (Post 28076833)
Me, I would leave Wailea around 8:30. Assume you have Pre-check.

Perfect. Yes, we have precheck.

BH62 Mar 29, 2017 3:41 pm

Depends on day of the week & season. A classic example of YMMV. We travel thru OGG two or three times a year. A "worst" case was this past Saturday (March 25). OGG was trying to do an imitation of the Tokyo Subways; lots of people, long lines even for PreCheck, etc. As a contrast, a Friday morning in late August, just breeze thru w/o any waiting time.