Big Island Accommodations w/ Kitchen & Laundry

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 15, 2012, 11:21 am
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage, Hilton Honors Platinum, Hyatt Platinum, Delta Skymiles, US Airways Dividend Miles

Thanks in advance for any help.

Looking to go to the big island from November 21-26. As this will be part III/IV of a 3week Hawaii trip, I'm thinking that I'd like to stay somewhere with some kind of kitchen and laundry... I'm sure by then I will be sick of eating out and will need to wash some of my things!

I am a bit picky when it comes to hotels/condos, so I definitely would like to stay somewhere nice (king bed, decent grounds, generally relaxing and comfortable). I'm do enjoy staying in hotels, so I'm happy to go this route, or am also open to the idea of staying in a condo.

From my limited research, the price of a "decent" condo seems high... especially compounded with a cleaning fee which is usually the rate of another night!

Looking to spend anywhere from $100-200 a night, but I'm happiest somewhere between 140-180. I'm not too sure about what area of the big island would be the best to stay in either, so I'm also open to suggestions on that front (I haven't booked flights, but I will be coming from maui & leaving hawaii out of kauai, so I have some flexibility there)

Thanks so much for any help!
Old May 15, 2012, 12:11 pm

search for timeshares to rent, almost all have full kitchen and in unit laundry

Renting from owner will be half the price of major chains, not sure if Marriott or Hyatt timeshares are on this island
Old May 18, 2012, 6:29 am

Programs: Starwood Gold, HiltonHHonors Silver, Marriott Silver, Delta SkyMiles
The major hotel chains (Sheraton Waikoloa, Marriott Waikoloa, Hilton Waikoloa Village) are generally $300+/night, plus resort fees. Plus, Thanksgiving is on that Thursday, so they'll probably jack up the rates even more.

Timeshare rental from an owner will be difficult because your check-in date is on a Wednesday, so you're spanning over two weeks (timeshare check-in dates are usually locked for either Fri or Sat), plus weekly owners won't want to just rent 5 days to you.

FYI, the Hilo side (near Volcanoes National Park) is more reasonably priced than the Kona side but it can be rainy and chilly on that side of the island. Plus I can't think of anyplace that would compare to a nicer resort. You'll have way more to choose from on the latter (Kona) side.

My advice is to filter your dates for Big Island on VRBO and see what you can find:

http://www.vrbo.com/vacation-rentals...11%2F26%2F2012
Old May 18, 2012, 9:52 am

We scored this place for $100, way less than comparable units, and it's very nice (Waikoloa beach resort, on A-Bay). There's a grocery, restaurants, and even a fast foot court in the nearby Queens Marketplace (or Kings; I get them confused, but they're right next to each other).

http://www.vrbo.com/413069
Old May 18, 2012, 4:38 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by sylvia hennesy
We scored this place for $100, way less than comparable units, and it's very nice (Waikoloa beach resort, on A-Bay). There's a grocery, restaurants, and even a fast foot court in the nearby Queens Marketplace (or Kings; I get them confused, but they're right next to each other).

http://www.vrbo.com/413069
That's a truly astonishing price for a 2 BR condo in Waikoloa. It would be a very good price for a studio unit in that area.
Old May 18, 2012, 4:53 pm

I know, right?!
I'm thrilled; after helping a relative pack up for a move, it's going to be great to be able to afford to spend an extra week in my favorite place (AND I get use of her car )
Old May 24, 2012, 11:02 am

we stayed in a 3/2 on the Mauna Lani Palm Villas for $175/n.
let me know if you want me to send you the owner's link.
it was nice, can't complain, huge master bedroom.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.