FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hawaii (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hawaii-435/)
-   -   Hilton Hawaiian Village vs. Royal Hawaiian (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hawaii/1336256-hilton-hawaiian-village-vs-royal-hawaiian.html)

nycguy1963 Apr 15, 2012 4:00 pm

Hilton Hawaiian Village vs. Royal Hawaiian

Heading to Oahu at the beginning of May for 4 nights. Right now I've got a res booked at the Royal Hawaiian using Starpoints. Hilton Hawaii Village availability has opened up, and I've got enough Hilton Honors points to stay there instead. I want to go to Paris within a year, and not sure which program's points would be serve me over there, either.

I'm Gold in both programs. Does one offer better Gold benefits than the other?

I know there are big differences between the two properties, but all other things being equal, which resort would you recommend? 2 adults, no kids.

Thanks...without FT this trip wouldn't have been possible (all points and miles).

Mary2e Apr 15, 2012 4:07 pm

Hmmmm.. that's a tough one. :)

Depends upon the type of vacation you're looking for. HHV is probably the closest you're going to get to a true resort feel while still being in Waikiki. Unless you're in one of the towers near the street, it's pretty quiet in there. The views from the Rainbow tower are phenomenal.

The Royal Hawaiian is a bit closer to the action, on a busier part of the beach, and well, doesn't really have much beach left. All the sand is washing toward the HHV, where the beach is actually growing.

Personally, when in Waikiki, I like to be in the center of it, which means closer to the Moana, but I also know it's going to be more crowded and noisy.

Sorry, but I can't really help with Paris and Starwood or Hilton. I'm a Hyatt girl :)

travelinmanS Apr 16, 2012 9:33 pm

If you want to stay at a convention hotel and feel like you're in Minneapolis with palm trees then stay at the Hilton. If you'd like to feel like you're in Hawaii, stay at the Royal Hawaiian.

If you had kids it would be a closer call but for 2 adults it is absolutely no contest.

cblaisd Apr 16, 2012 11:11 pm

That's way, way too harsh imo. Spouse and I have had a dozen lovely stays at the HHV.

Mary2e Apr 17, 2012 6:40 am

I have to agree. I always was in the Rainbow Tower and while there may have been conventions going on, those buildings are closer to the entrance of the property. I certainly never noticed it.

JeremyS1973 Apr 17, 2012 8:26 pm

Originally Posted by travelinmanS (Post 18407095)
If you want to stay at a convention hotel and feel like you're in Minneapolis with palm trees then stay at the Hilton. If you'd like to feel like you're in Hawaii, stay at the Royal Hawaiian.

If you had kids it would be a closer call but for 2 adults it is absolutely no contest.

Not harsh at all, if anything it goes too easy on the HHV that is the 17th largest hotel in the world. It is crowded, expensive and not well located in Waikiki. The hotel belongs in Las Vegas not Waikiki. I've been to a convention there and I'll never go back, even if the convention is there again I'll stay someplace else.

The Royal is gracious and charming. The beach is just fine and they have a private beach service. It is just better than the HHV on every level.

nycguy1963 Apr 18, 2012 8:21 am

Thank you all for your opinions. I'll let my res at the RH stand and use a trip to the HHV spa to scout that property for my next visit to the Islands.

cblaisd Apr 18, 2012 8:36 am

Originally Posted by JeremyS1973 (Post 18413303)
...It is crowded, expensive and not well located in Waikiki.

It's perfectly located in Waikiki. It's quiet, the beach is nicer than any other hotel's in Waikiki, it's a short walk to Ala Moana mall, and did I say it's quiet?

It is just better than the HHV on every level.
It really does depend on what you're looking for. Have had more than a few lovely stays on a very high floor Rainbow Tower room.

Mary2e Apr 18, 2012 2:22 pm

Originally Posted by cblaisd (Post 18415817)
It's perfectly located in Waikiki. It's quiet, the beach is nicer than any other hotel's in Waikiki, it's a short walk to Ala Moana mall, and did I say it's quiet?

Remarkably quiet :)

It really does depend on what you're looking for. Have had more than a few lovely stays on a very high floor Rainbow Tower room.
I have to say that I still dream of that corner room, diamond head side, in the Rainbow tower. I managed to get my self into it twice, and it was spectacular - particularly when they had the fireworks.

Bearcat06 Apr 19, 2012 3:40 am

Originally Posted by JeremyS1973 (Post 18413303)
Not harsh at all, if anything it goes too easy on the HHV that is the 17th largest hotel in the world. It is crowded, expensive and not well located in Waikiki. The hotel belongs in Las Vegas not Waikiki. I've been to a convention there and I'll never go back, even if the convention is there again I'll stay someplace else.

The Royal is gracious and charming. The beach is just fine and they have a private beach service. It is just better than the HHV on every level.

My Aunt/Cousin/Cousin's daughter flew out here and stayed there in Dec and absolutely loved it to the point they will be back there in July.....on top of friends/family staying there over the past 3 years since I have returned...and they've had no issues at all there.......

Different strokes for different folks....but don't condemn the place just because you didn't like it.....

JeremyS1973 Apr 19, 2012 12:14 pm

Originally Posted by cblaisd (Post 18415817)

It MIGHT be quiet depending on which of the SEVEN towers you stay in. It is on the busiest street and all traffic entering the Waikiki area from Ewa (the side where the airport is) has to go past the HHV. If you are in the Kalia Tower or Grand Waikikian, it can be extremely noisy.

It is also not perfectly located in Waikiki, it is barely in Waikiki on the extreme end of Waikiki. The Outrigger Waikiki would be "perfectly located" as it is about as central as a hotel can get and the Royal Hawaiian is on one side, the Moana Surfrider is on the other.

The nicest beach in Waikiki is Kuhio Beach, directly across from the Hyatt Regency.

Originally Posted by Bearcat06 (Post 18421257)
My Aunt/Cousin/Cousin's daughter flew out here and stayed there in Dec and absolutely loved it to the point they will be back there in July.....on top of friends/family staying there over the past 3 years since I have returned...and they've had no issues at all there.......

Different strokes for different folks....but don't condemn the place just because you didn't like it.....

So what I am hearing is she has never stayed anyplace else? So she has no idea what Halekulani, the Hyatt Regency, Royal Hawaiian, Trump, Moana Surfrider, New Otani, Outrigger Reef, Outrigger Waikiki Beach, Waikiki Parc Hotel, Hotel Renew, Embassy Suites, Marriott or Kahala are like?

It is easy to love the Cheesecake Factory if you've never experienced anything better.

cblaisd Apr 19, 2012 8:28 pm

Originally Posted by JeremyS1973 (Post 18423884)
It MIGHT be quiet depending on which of the SEVEN towers you stay in. It is on the busiest street and all traffic entering the Waikiki area from Ewa (the side where the airport is) has to go past the HHV. If you are in the Kalia Tower or Grand Waikikian, it can be extremely noisy.

Point taken. But I never stay in any but the Rainbow Tower, high floor. Always been upgraded, about 1/2 the time to one of the wonderful corner rooms. Only time it was noisy was on July 4 when all of Hawai`i sounds like a war zone.

It is also not perfectly located in Waikiki, it is barely in Waikiki on the extreme end of Waikiki. The Outrigger Waikiki would be "perfectly located" as it is about as central as a hotel can get and the Royal Hawaiian is on one side, the Moana Surfrider is on the other.
I don't like "central" Waikiki; it's noisy and there is too much traffic and crowds until the wee hours. So, yes, I consider the Rainbow Tower at HHV to be perfectly located :)

The nicest beach in Waikiki is Kuhio Beach, directly across from the Hyatt Regency.
Disagree.

jpetekYXMD80 Apr 20, 2012 2:17 am

This seems like an easy one to me- Royal Hawaiian. I've not stayed there, but at the next door Sheraton. It has a nice feel about it, and lovely grounds. Historic Waikiki gem, it would be my first choice in Waikiki. Good location, But I also think a car is the #1 necessity for Oahu.

Bearcat06 Apr 24, 2012 6:17 am

So what I am hearing is she has never stayed anyplace else? So she has no idea what Halekulani, the Hyatt Regency, Royal Hawaiian, Trump, Moana Surfrider, New Otani, Outrigger Reef, Outrigger Waikiki Beach, Waikiki Parc Hotel, Hotel Renew, Embassy Suites, Marriott or Kahala are like?

A. She/They get good deals from the Hawaiian Hilton....much better deals than they can get anywhere else on Oahu.....

B. She/They have walked around Waikiki and hit those hotels using their restaurants/bars and roamed around the hotel property..... and like them but would much rather stay there....

C. Once again, just because you don't like the place, why condem it...? :rolleyes:

You need to get out more when you visit Oahu.....that is not the best beach here.....

Originally Posted by cblaisd (Post 18426607)
I don't like "central" Waikiki; it's noisy and there is too much traffic and crowds until the wee hours.

Hence the reason I live where I live.... Diamond Head Side of Waikiki across from Kapiolani Park.....

txrus Apr 24, 2012 9:24 am

I will not take sides in the 'best beach in Oahu' debate, but I will mention that Kuhio beach is undergoing renovation currently (as of last week) & large chunks of it are off limits due to the construction equipment. This is then, of course, resulting is more people crowded into the areas that are open. On the day I left, trucks were trundling up & down from Kuhio beach to the Moana relocating sand, so if beach time is your things, HHV may be the best bet at this point.

The signs posted say this is a planned 3 mos project-if memory serves, it started sometime in March, I believe, so will likely still be on-going in early May.

I stayed @ the Marriott & found the beaches heading east, down towards the Gold Coast & Diamond head, quieter & much less crowded, but it would be a hike from the HHV or require a car to get there.