Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Hawaii
Reload this Page >

Transportation from Waikiki to Ko'Olina

Old Mar 6, 12, 10:24 pm
Original Poster

Aloha!

Can anyone recommend best (or cheapest) way to get from Waikiki to the Ko'Olina resort area? Will be seeing the Fia Fia Luau at the JW Marriott resort.
so far thought of taxi's, rental cars, but not finding any shuttles.. heard that the Bus does not go near Ko'Olina. Any other ideas?

Thank you.
Old Mar 6, 12, 11:18 pm
Suspended

I'd rent a car. Probably much cheaper than round trip taxi fare. Especially if you can pick it up and drop it off in Waikiki at times that don't force you to park it in Waikiki for any lengthy period on your own dime.
Old Mar 6, 12, 11:28 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Ko'olina is a ways out.. and when you get to Ko olina you'll need a car to get groceries and such. My friends are getting a transfer there later in the month, but will be renting a car onsite at the hotel.
Old Mar 7, 12, 10:41 pm

IMO, renting a car is a must in Hawaii applicable to any island.
Old Mar 8, 12, 11:41 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Ilovefairmont View Post
With the exception of when one is in Waikiki for a period of time, where having a car has more cost than benefit. However, not having one will tend to cause one to confine themselves to Waikiki at the expense of getting out to see the rest of Oahu.
Old Mar 8, 12, 12:58 pm

Don't even think about taking a taxi... my friends did that. Our wedding welcome lunch was in Ko Olina and they were in Waikiki... $120 later, they arrived by taxi.
Old Mar 8, 12, 4:08 pm

Programs: AC*E50K MM, PC Plat Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Sounds like you're just going out for the luau and not staying there?

Actually, staying or not, I agree: pick up a rental car in Waikiki. Drive out and return it without parking as has been suggested above.
Old Mar 8, 12, 4:51 pm
Original Poster

Thanks everyone... Will rent a car
Old Mar 8, 12, 8:10 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
A good choice for max flexibility.. Hawaii vacation anywhere is a premium, so time is money.
Old Mar 8, 12, 8:15 pm

Number 40 bus is $2.50
Old Mar 10, 12, 12:37 am
tjl

Programs: AS,WN,UA,B6,hotels
Originally Posted by Ilovefairmont View Post
The Bus works pretty well in the Honolulu area for relatively short trips (e.g. Waikiki or Ala Moana area to Pearl Harbor or Diamond Head). It can be used for the trip in question (#C express or #40), but it will take about an hour. Renting a car for the day (and returning it without having to park it overnight) is a good option for this trip if parking at the destination is not a problem.
Old Mar 10, 12, 1:04 am

Programs: Delta
Originally Posted by tjl View Post
The Bus works pretty well in the Honolulu area for relatively short trips (e.g. Waikiki or Ala Moana area to Pearl Harbor or Diamond Head). It can be used for the trip in question (#C express or #40), but it will take about an hour. Renting a car for the day (and returning it without having to park it overnight) is a good option for this trip if parking at the destination is not a problem.
I would probably rent a car myself for something like this. But, counting check in/check out the car, plus driving there, not much difference than taking The Bus, at least in regard to time.
Old Mar 10, 12, 1:42 pm
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Location: Honolulu, Hawaiʻi [+MKK4 EBBER R577 EDSEL R577 ELKEY EXERT]
Originally Posted by nishimark View Post
I would probably rent a car myself for something like this. But, counting check in/check out the car, plus driving there, not much difference than taking The Bus, at least in regard to time.
Not sure I entirely agree, since TheBus routes the OP would be looking at wouldn't take the freeway and then would only drop the OP off out fairly far from the front entrance of the Ko `Olina grounds. You'd have to factor in the time lugging the bags up and across the overpass to the front entrance, and then to the hotel. Ko `Olina was not built for TheBus traveler in mind...
Old Mar 10, 12, 10:25 pm
Suspended

Just locked in $153 all in full size for a week.. www.costcotravel.com
Old Mar 11, 12, 8:02 am

Programs: Delta
Originally Posted by slippahs View Post
Not sure I entirely agree, since TheBus routes the OP would be looking at wouldn't take the freeway and then would only drop the OP off out fairly far from the front entrance of the Ko `Olina grounds. You'd have to factor in the time lugging the bags up and across the overpass to the front entrance, and then to the hotel. Ko `Olina was not built for TheBus traveler in mind...
Good point, but OP is not going to stay there, just attending a luau one evening. I'm mainly trying to point out that the process of renting a car (getting to the rental site, standing in line, waiting for the customer in front of you to choose between the Corvette or the Toyota, etc.) will take time, if time is the comparing factor.

I'd still rent a car myself. Actually, I'd go to a Luau near my hotel.

Search this Thread