Search

Big Island itin help

Search this Thread

Old Feb 5, 2012, 11:34 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, LH silver --> nothing, LY gold --> nothing
Question Big Island itin help

Hi,
We (2 adults, 2 kids of 6 & 4) plan to go to the Big Island in April (4-11).
So far I planned on 2 nights (should it be 3?) in Kona's Sheraton, last night in Hilton.
I know I want to go to the national park, and am wondering - 1 or 2 night?
Where else should we spend our time?

Thanks,
Old Feb 6, 2012, 6:49 am
Flyertalk Evangelist and Moderator: Coupon Connection and Travel Products

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum Elite, Hyatt Discoverist, Radisson Elite
We just returned from Hawaill in November... my fourth trip... Love the Big Island.

Personally, I would spend 2 - 3 days on the Hilo side. You lose a lot of time just travelling if you are hoteling on the Kona side.

Personally, I think one day is fine for Volcano National Park.

I would also plan a visit to Mauna Kea.... and try for the Saturday when they have guided 4 week drive tours to the summit with a visit inside one of the observatories. I would then plan on the evening free stargazing at the visitor center.

I would also make a visit to Waipio Valley... if you have a 4 wheel drive, then the drive down into the valley is a must... it is breathtaking...
Old Feb 7, 2012, 9:43 pm
Original Poster

Thanks.
Some more questions inside:
Originally Posted by wharvey
Personally, I would spend 2 - 3 days on the Hilo side.
Any specific recommendations on what to do there, where to stay, etc?

Personally, I think one day is fine for Volcano National Park.
I was planning on one full day there (my original post was not clear on that), so drive the day before, sleep close-by and then spend the full day there.
The question is where to sleep after that?

I would also plan a visit to Mauna Kea.... and try for the Saturday when they have guided 4 week drive tours to the summit with a visit inside one of the observatories. I would then plan on the evening free stargazing at the visitor center.

I would also make a visit to Waipio Valley... if you have a 4 wheel drive, then the drive down into the valley is a must... it is breathtaking...
Sound good, I'll look into those, but doesn't seem I'll rent a 4WD
Old Feb 8, 2012, 5:18 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by ranshe
Thanks.
Some more questions inside:
Any specific recommendations on what to do there, where to stay, etc?

I was planning on one full day there (my original post was not clear on that), so drive the day before, sleep close-by and then spend the full day there.
The question is where to sleep after that?

Sound good, I'll look into those, but doesn't seem I'll rent a 4WD
I'm a very frequent visitor to the BI, so here is my take...

1) Waipio Valley is a must, but you can take a wagon or van tour - driving that road is definitely not recommended unless you're a highly experienced 4WD driver

2) I would not stay 2-3 nights on the Hilo side - the hotel quality is poor. 1 night is enough in Hilo, 1 night in Volcano.

Here are some of the highlights you can include, and I would recommend staying in the Kohala area instead of the Sheraton at first, then Sheraton at the end:

1) Hawi - depart after lunch, tour the area, hike into the valley, dinner in Hawi...this will take up the rest of the day

2) Whale Watch - go out in the AM, return after lunch, balance of the day at Honaunau, dinner in Kona

3) Stargazing - pick up bento dinners from Queen's Market (near the Hilton), depart around 4pm, cross Saddle Rd to the Mauna Kea Access Rd and enjoy dinner, sunset and stargazing (your kids are probably too young to go to the summit for sunset)

4) Hilo-side tour. Depart early AM, Waipio Valley tour, continue along the Hilo side, stopping at the various waterfalls, dinner in Hilo, overnight.

5) Volcanoes National Park - next day is all-day in the park, overnight in Volcano

6) Green Sand Beach - next morning you'll head back towards Kohala - early morning stop at the Green Sand Beach (South Point). Make sure you are careful getting down to the beach - do not follow the signs that lead through the tight cut-out, but walk up along the top crest of the valley and look for a small ladder that will lead you down one level - then walk in a zigzag down the ridges until you reach the beach. After the beach, continue driving up and dine in Kona before overnighting at the Sheraton.

7) Kona/Capt Cook Area - drive along the highway visiting some coffee farms, fruit stands and consider a snorkel tour to Kealakekua Bay.
Old Feb 9, 2012, 7:20 am

I respectively disagree with the "musts" listed here, especially if you are traveling with 2 young children; the main 3 things listed are (can be) costly and/or strenuous, probably boring to kids, and perhaps should be saved for an adult solo visit. (Again, IMHO, after visiting many times with and without the keikis.)
Green sand beach is pretty, but a long, hot slog to get to, after a long, bumpy drive.
Waipio Valley is lush and pretty, but an expensive and steep ride in a 4WD to get into; and once you're there, it's basically come back up again. However, you can get a beautiful view from the overlook.
VNP is only 1/2 hour drive from Hilo, so you don't need to stay up there. The road circling the rim is closed, but you can view the gas-emitting crater, walk through Thurston Lava Tube (beautiful walk down steep stairs through lush foliage: then a fun walk through the tube. The walk back out to the parking lot is pretty easy, even for a 2 year old). Chain of Craters road is open, and is a spectacular drive down and back up again, with stops (especially near the top) to look at craters and other interesting volcanic features, and you can view the current vent from below. There's also a sea arch at the bottom of the road.
Mauna Kea 4 wheel drive tours to the summit are expensive and cold, and probably boring for kids your ages. You can drive to the lower level visitors center yourself to star gaze, but Saddle Road is very twisty and in places very narrow; maybe not suitable for a night drive, especially with kids.
The valley at the end of the road past Hawi ("Havee") is steep. Another long hot slog for an unrewarding beach. However, the overlook there is spectacular, and not to be missed.
A few suggestions that are maybe more kid-friendly:
If you are in Hilo:
There's a great free zoo with a (retired Las Vegas) white tiger in his own lush compound, monkeys, lots of birds, etc., and simply beautiful grounds. There are lovely waterfalls in town to view.
Some nice beaches along the road, and toward the end of the road you can walk along the shore and climb little basalt hills, etc.
From Hilo north, Akaka Falls State Park is spectacular, and a loop walk would be doable for kids those ages. The nearby Lapakahi State Historical Park and beach offers views of coastline and crashing waves, WC amenities, and lots of level grass for a picnic lunch.
And Lava Tree State Park (near Puna, HW 11) is beautiful and fascinating, a nice place for adults and kids, if you are in the area.
West side:
A day at the beach Kona side could include the very nice Waialea, formerly called Beach 69; turn at Puako, go right (to the parking lot), and the slope and swimming are ideal, especially for kids (also WC, shower amenities; snorkeling is nice, too). Hapuna and Mauna Kea beaches I'm assuming you've read about.
IF your 2 yr old is old enough to snorkel from a boat (not sure if they would take them that age; better check), a snorkeling trip to Captain Cook (Kealekekua Bay) is usually combined with a stop at Place of Refuge. (Kids might enjoy going to Place of Refuge for a land visit; it's pretty interesting.)
Old Feb 9, 2012, 9:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Agreed, OP's kids are 4 and 6 and bocastephen's itinerary is very agressive for kids that age. 4 and 6 year olds do not appreciate "scenery" trust me on this. They want to be moving and doing.

My kids were good swimmers by that age but managing snorekling equipment can be tricky for little ones. Some boat tours have those see thru boogie boards the kids can float on.

A little less car time, a little more hang at the beach pool time may be called for. And even if the kids have long since given up napping at home, you may find that they wake up so early and play so hard, that a little downtime in the afternoon is warranted.

It is a little pricey but my kids LOVED the seahorse hatchery.
Old Feb 9, 2012, 9:44 am

Programs: DL, UA, AA, B6, BA (airline status-free leisure traveler), Hilton Diamond
My views are more in line with the last two posters. The OP's children are too young for that much running around.

I have been to the BI three times, staying at the Hilton Waikoloa Village each time. It is a great place for kids.

I think that the OP should consider more nights at the HWV.
Old Feb 9, 2012, 10:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

PS on our first trip to Hawaii, my daughter, I think she was 7, got carsick and we had to go back to the airport and get a new rental car and pay a cleaning fee. She has never been carsick at home even on mountain roads, but I think the stress of travel, disrupted schedule, unfamiliar foods, etc. came to a head that day.

So be flexible, don't try to pack too much into any one day, and try not to spend too much time in the car.
Old Feb 9, 2012, 11:36 am
Original Poster

I wish...

Originally Posted by loomis
I think that the OP should consider more nights at the HWV.
I wish I could - this place is freakin' expensive...
Old Feb 9, 2012, 11:42 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by VickiSoCal
My kids were good swimmers by that age but managing snorekling equipment can be tricky for little ones. Some boat tours have those see thru boogie boards the kids can float on.

It is a little pricey but my kids LOVED the seahorse hatchery.
Great idea.
Where's the seahorse hatchery please?
Old Feb 9, 2012, 12:30 pm

Given the high hotel prices, I'd like to suggest, especially if you like the Waikoloa Resort and A-Bay area, a condo with two bedrooms, two bathrooms, (for example Waikoloa Beach Villas, http://www.vrbo.com/101170). I know that these and other VRBO units can be had for ~$125/night. There's a grocery, several restaurants, and a fast food court at the Kings and Queens shops in Waikoloa.
Old Feb 9, 2012, 12:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

http://www.seahorse.com/

a-bay is a great place to swim with younger kids, nice and calm with some fish life to look at.

My kids stayed at the Hilton with their aunt and uncle for 4 nights, then with us at the Marriott for 5 nights and preferred the Marriott due to the beach. Given the choice between a really awesome pool and a beach, mine will always choose the beach.
Old Feb 10, 2012, 8:34 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond-Marriott Platinum-life
Originally Posted by ranshe
Hi,
We (2 adults, 2 kids of 6 & 4) plan to go to the Big Island in April (4-11).
So far I planned on 2 nights (should it be 3?) in Kona's Sheraton, last night in Hilton.
I know I want to go to the national park, and am wondering - 1 or 2 night?
Where else should we spend our time?

Thanks,
I would recommend you pick up Hawaii Revealed by Andrew Doughty (The Big Island) a very useful source of information, things to see where to eat and suggestions on places to stay.

We are just leaving (Feb 10th) the Big Island after 7 nights here and had a most wonderful time. We rented a two bedroom condo on the south side of Kona near the Sheraton (for $800.00) and did all our trip from there.

We went to the north shore and could see Maui from there which is 30 miles away, also followed the tour in the book. We drove to the south shore taking in South Point (the south most point in the USA), black sand beach, there are two National Parks on the south side one near Captain Cook's Memorial and Volcano National Park. (this was done over a couple days)

Short list of info again I recommend you get the book and plot out what you want to see...Enjoy, I am sure you will!

The hotel at Volcano National Park is closed for renovations.
Old Feb 12, 2012, 10:07 pm
7E7

Programs: AC*E75
Kids definitely too young for the summit.

Seahorse hatchery is a must the kids will definitely love it, and likely you. There is bit on the environment.

The beach is probably the best place to spend most of the time, we prefer the kohala area, particularly the beaches by the Mauna Lani.

Have not been to the Volcano National Park but wil in 2 weeks, son is 6 now.

For a coffee tour Hula Daddy is great and less busy.

Definately reccomend Big Island Revealed l
Old Feb 16, 2012, 9:42 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, HH Diamond
Also - not really a sight, but there is a road that runs across the island (I forget what its called.) Most people take the long way around - which is a nice scenic looong way to get to the other side - because the road down the middle is so treacherous. It USED to be - but last time I was there, I braved it and it wasnt bad at all. In fact it was kind of interesting. At the highest point, it got really cold and the dramatic change in climate was actually quite interesting. You literally drive thru the clouds. While there used to be patches of the road that weren't paved, last time I went everything that wasnt paved was being worked on (about a year ago now...) Might be worth a looksie....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.