Wiki Posts
Search

Strategy to find lowest RT air to KOA

Search this Thread

Old Jan 1, 2012, 7:25 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA, BA, CO, SWA, SPG
Strategy to find lowest RT air to KOA

My question is for a specific example; however the strategy replies could apply to any departure and destination airports.

Any suggestions on how to obtain lowest RT airfare from SAT (San Antonio) to KOA (Kona big island) in Oct 20-27, 2012? 7 nights at Kona Resort confirmed 1 year ago.

The airline schedules recently became available for Oct 2012. I checked Expedia, RT air SAT to KOA >$1200. Ouch. In 2011, fares in the summer for Oct were running around $750. I am seeking Strategy suggestions on how to get the best airfare.
I am Platinum on American Airlines (AA). I would prefer to stick with AA and their partners to earn more miles for future trips and continued elite status.

On Expedia, American RT to SEA for ~$268 on those dates. RT via Alaka Air SEA to KOA is $604. $604 + 268 = $952. Cheaper than the > $1200 route.

Any other suggestions? Does any recommend Orbitz Price Assurance (limited to $250 back if another person books thru Orbitz cheaper)?
Old Jan 2, 2012, 2:17 am
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
I use expedia personally.. the website combines legs from different airlines in different combinations to get a better rate..

Keep your eyes open, sometimes there are loss leader fares that appear out of the blue, and you pretty much have to jump on it immediately.. but $268 outbound seems like an unbelievable rate..
Old Jan 2, 2012, 7:39 am
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
A couple of thoughts....

Traditionally, October airfare is relatively cheap. But, those sales usually aren't released until ~August ime. I'm not sure you'd end up paying more than what you're currently seeing if you waited and might well pay much less. Depends how risk-averse you are.

Secondly, does AA have a "vacations packages" site? I know that UA does (unitedvacations.com) I have occasionally been able to get a very good deal on airfare even booking a "throwaway" car for one day of the trip.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.