Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Hawaii
Reload this Page >

Trump Waikiki Vs. Hyatt Regency Waikiki

Trump Waikiki Vs. Hyatt Regency Waikiki

Old Feb 27, 2012, 10:29 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by spizzy
Thanks

I understand there is property you can buy yourself and do with as you wish and I agree with your assesment.

I have read differently, and though I would be happy to be proven wrong I personally ain't taking that chance.

Considering that it (JetLuxury) doesnt list the Deluxe OV Studio, and only a Ocean View Studio (Could be Superior or Deluxe as it isnt speicifc) its not an apples to apples comparison. The one-bedroom is even more expensive (as it should be).

For roughly the same time period (in September) it is $1771 w/taxes from JetLuxury vs the $2450 w/tax I got from Hotels.com, vs the $3185 w/tax from Trump Directly. So it is a 28% difference, and not 50% difference *in my case* for what my or may not be the same room.

I am glad you are happy with your decision to go with JetLuxury and hope you post your experiences here post travel.
No problem.. its just I booked an OV One Bedroom Suite for under $1,500 with taxes with Jet Luxury.. so double size of your studio.

With research, I've found out that you would check in, enjoy all of the hotel amenities not noticing the difference. The only difference is that the entire stay is charged to your credit card 3 days prior to arrival. In Hawaii, at most resorts, there is a non refundable deposit required 21 days or 14 days prior to arrival anyways.

Even if the savings is 28% (which is significant as some FTers may find a 5% factor to be huge on a HI trip), if payment policy is a factor.. call up Jet Luxury and negotiate your payment plan. Reviews have been good from what I can see. I understand the apprehension.. sounds too good to be true. But Trump is merely playing the VRBO game, and winning, cause he's filling up his hotels and generating revenue from his unsold condos. Smart.
Old Mar 24, 2012, 10:16 pm

The Hyatt is a bit older of a building but it's in a great location in the center of the Kalakua Ave. If you don't mind an older hotel, crowds, and 70's decor, I recommend this.
Old Mar 25, 2012, 12:58 am
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by tommy2tone
The Hyatt is a bit older of a building but it's in a great location in the center of the Kalakua Ave. If you don't mind an older hotel, crowds, and 70's decor, I recommend this.
Currently at Trump International Hotel and everything in this place is brand new and setup well. The hotel is not directly ocean front, but certainly from our room we get a nice view of the ocean that does not dissappoint.

What's impressive about this place is its a condo hotel with overthetop full service amenities. Fully decked out kitchen with Wolf Appliances and Subzero wine/fridge. Washer/Dryer.. When my wife needed a shaver, the front desk brings it up immediately. Full array of spa products set out including spa crystals, dental kit, etc. Asked for directions this morning.. valet pulls up my convertible, and the directions were on the dash.^

Our room has a wrap around corner balcony, full kitchen, 1 1/4" granite, living room, seperate bathroom, double sink with granite vanities, towels are extra large and super soft, robes are waffle style with inner soft lining to keep even the petite of women (generally cold) warm, marble floors. Shows 10 out of 10, and approximately 850 sq ft plus balcony, free wifi..
Old Mar 26, 2012, 6:57 pm

Programs: AA, HA, UA, DL, HH, SPG, Kimpton, Fairmont, New Otani, I Prefer
We are traveling to Hawaii in September and was decieding where to stay. It came down to 2 places. The Trump Waikiki & Halekulani Hotel.

In the end after reading most of the reviews for both on Tripadvisor we chose the Trump Waikiki as we wanted the new furnished rooms, and just plain newer hotel, and the reviews on trip always commented that the rooms in the Halekulani are tired and in need of a major refurbishment. Also said refurbishement may or may not take place in September, and the extent of the refurbishment is unknown.

Though alot of people on TA commented that the Halekulani is a more Hawiian styled place than the Trump Waikiki. Now even though I havent yet stayed at either I think it is more the place you are visiting and the people (in this case Hawaii), etc that is what Hawaii is, and not the hotel. I mean when you stay in a hotel in NY you dont think, this doesnt have the New York feel to it. So for me this was a moot point for the Halekulani in comparison to the Trump.
No, it has everything to do with the hotel as to how Hawaiian it feels.

The Trump can't hold a candle to Halekulani on any level. The Trump has a bad pool and bad pool area, it isn't on the ocean, you have to look over the top of two or three other hotels for your view, the atmosphere is terribly sterile and un-Hawaiian, my WiFi never worked in my room at the Trump. It is apt you mention a "NY feel" because it has a feel just like NYC which is NOT what I want in Hawaii.

I would take Halekulani, Moana Surfrider, Royal Hawaiian, Hyatt Regency, Outrigger Reef and the Ali'i Tower at HHV before I'd ever go back the Trump. If I wanted a condo in Waikiki the Grand Waikikian would be my first pick.
Old Mar 26, 2012, 9:52 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Gold, AA Gold, UAL Prem
Wink Hyatt vs Trump

Sometimes when I have a difficult decision such as this I split my visit between both hotels. That said, everyone has stated good facts for you to consider. I have stayed at the Hyatt many times and admit the ocean front rooms and the location are the best. When one goes to Hawaii, they want an ocean front room not an ocean view or the view of a building. The Hyatt has some nice rooms, but you have to have status and luck to get one. They have wrap around balconies, suites with living rooms and exercise rooms. It is also in a good location for everything and across from the beach. This says everything to me. The extras puts it over the top. Can you afford daily breakfast (are we talking full breakfast?), the $100 credit could buy you a spa adventure or a nice dinner. Trump is new. I tried to stay there on my most recent trip, but I wanted an ocean front (not ocean view) room. I would stay at Trump for one night just for the experience. If this is your first trip I would go Hyatt.
Old Mar 27, 2012, 3:22 am
Suspended

Entering Fifth Night of Five at the Trump Waikiki

I agree, split your hotel stays up if not sure. For us, Oahu is activity day in and day out.. but we also have Big Island and Maui to look forward to on this trip. We booked an Ocean Front Suite 1,477 sq ft at Fairmont Orchid, and Kea Lani any view is nice as long as you get some ocean view.. Last year the Deluxe Ocean view was more than suffice for us at Kea Lani, we did not want to leave.

Having said the above, the value we received at the Trump is more than exceptional. We had an electrical problem where the fuses were blown out of the hallway and bathroom lights overnight. I forgot to mention it to the staff. Was going up the elevator and worried if it was going to be dark tonite. Entered the room, and voila, the lights worked. This service I never receive at any of the Fairmonts.. in fact its a bit of a chore and follow up just to get a light bulb changed.

Yesterday, we went Hanauma Bay, and the Trump Waikiki concierge provided us with not just one bag, but two beach bags full of towels, fruit, sunscreen, etc. If this was a Fairmont, dare I say they would charge me at least $85 for all of that. I haven't checked out yet, but I haven't been nickled and dimed here at Trump as I normally do at Fairmont. Which is breath of fresh air to say the least.

The only thing that Trump should do, and I'm not sure if this is actually the hotel, but the someone has got to get rid of the Cuisinart TFal cookwear. That stuff just peels off when cooking and is a carcinogen.

Other pluses, includes slippers, concierge assistance (3 times they printed out directions and three times it was there for me when leaving).. btw, Fairmont does not print out and have it ready a concierge, in fact I would be lucky not to call an answering machine at concierge.. the concierge is always accessible by phone, or main floor at Trump.

Valet always pulls up the vehicles whenever possible front and center when picking up or dropping off. Little details.^

The building is brand spanking new.. we didn't use the pool, but we only have 5 days on Oahu, so fairly active visiting Pearl Harbour, Disney Aulanil, Dole Pineapple factory, Hanauma Bay, and the Polynesian Cultural Centre. Central location, short stays, convenience to restaurants and action in the Waikiki area, 5 star service.. all things equal and the deal is there, we shall be back.

Now off to the two Fairmonts on Big Island and Maui.
Old Mar 27, 2012, 11:16 am

Originally Posted by Ancien Maestro
Having said the above, the value we received at the Trump is more than exceptional. We had an electrical problem where the fuses were blown out of the hallway and bathroom lights overnight. I forgot to mention it to the staff. Was going up the elevator and worried if it was going to be dark tonite. Entered the room, and voila, the lights worked. This service I never receive at any of the Fairmonts.. in fact its a bit of a chore and follow up just to get a light bulb changed.

Yesterday, we went Hanauma Bay, and the Trump Waikiki concierge provided us with not just one bag, but two beach bags full of towels, fruit, sunscreen, etc. If this was a Fairmont, dare I say they would charge me at least $85 for all of that. I haven't checked out yet, but I haven't been nickled and dimed here at Trump as I normally do at Fairmont. Which is breath of fresh air to say the least.

The only thing that Trump should do, and I'm not sure if this is actually the hotel, but the someone has got to get rid of the Cuisinart TFal cookwear. That stuff just peels off when cooking and is a carcinogen.

Other pluses, includes slippers, concierge assistance (3 times they printed out directions and three times it was there for me when leaving).. btw, Fairmont does not print out and have it ready a concierge, in fact I would be lucky not to call an answering machine at concierge.. the concierge is always accessible by phone, or main floor at Trump.
Why do you keep comparing the Trump to a Fairmont when there is no Fairmont on Oahu. Compare it to what the concierge at Halekulani, Kahala, Ali'i Tower and Royal Hawaiian would do.

If the Fairmonts are as bad as you make them sound on Hawaii and Maui, why aren't you at the Ritz, Four Seasons, Manua Lani or Mauna Kea?

Last edited by JeremyS1973; Mar 27, 2012 at 4:07 pm Reason: fix grammar agreement
Old Mar 27, 2012, 3:20 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by JeremyS1973
Why do you keep comparing the Trump to a Fairmont when there is no Fairmont on Oahu. Compare it to what the concierge at Halekulani, Kahala, Ali'i Tower and Royal Hawaiian?

If the Fairmonts are as bad as you make them sound on Hawaii and Maui, why aren't you at the Ritz, Four Seasons, Manua Lani or Mauna Kea?
I'm accustomed to Fairmonts as we've stayed 30 plus nights at least for the past 8 years at Fairmonts.. Last couple of years its been 50+ nights.. so I'm accustomed to the excellent benefits and service that Fairmont provides.

You're right in Oahu, there is no Fairmont, so I chose accomodations at the Trump, and have to say they've been no less than outstanding. There is no comparison to the other hotels you mentioned, because I want a one bedroom suite with an ocean view, for a certain price. I'm not willing to pay full pop to get the experience you say its there, and I have no doubt that those hotels have better intangibles, but you're also paying for it.

Don't get me wrong, Fairmont is an excellent product and I'm truly sold on it.. If I go to Ritz, Four Seasons, and others you have mentioned, I don't get the benefits that I receive at Fairmont. Plus its pretty easy to qualify for their elite levels, so in the long term if I don't stay 30+ nights, I can still enjoy the benefits.

Back to the Trump.. It is truly outstanding value imho..

My wife and kids tried the breakfast buffet at Trump this morning. An excellent spread. $32 per adult, $16 per child.
Old Mar 31, 2012, 6:03 pm

Programs: QFF, Krisflyer
No, it has everything to do with the hotel as to how Hawaiian it feels.
Different strokes for different folks.

The Trump can't hold a candle to Halekulani on any level.
Biased much? When and if the Halekulani ever completes the refurbishment of their tired rooms (and I don't just mean a new splash of paint on the wall) then I will use them.

The Trump has a bad pool and bad pool area,
That is a bit of hyperbole. Yes it is a limited pool and is more for the business person, then a full on huge resort pool, but to call it bad and then bad again is well...

it isn't on the ocean,
Yes you are correct there, and if being a block back from the ocean matters for you then you take that into account. But you know full well before you get there if you research the hotel where it is located.

you have to look over the top of two or three other hotels for your view,
Again an incorrect blanket statement. Stay on floors 23 or above and you are taller than the surrounding buildings and have an unobstructed view of the ocean (going by all the photos from peoples actual rooms and reviews on TA).

the atmosphere is terribly sterile and un-Hawaiian, my WiFi never worked in my room at the Trump.
Your personal opinion on the atmosphere, but the Wifi never working I would agree with you there if you had an issue that it might impact on your stay if you relied on that.

I would take Halekulani, Moana Surfrider, Royal Hawaiian, Hyatt Regency, Outrigger Reef and the Ali'i Tower at HHV before I'd ever go back the Trump. If I wanted a condo in Waikiki the Grand Waikikian would be my first pick.
Obviously the underlying theme (or no so underlying theme) I'm taking here from your post is that you had a bad experience at the Trump and fair enough if so, but that does not seem to be the general consensus for others whom have stayed there. *IMO*.

Last edited by spizzy; Mar 31, 2012 at 6:10 pm
Old Mar 31, 2012, 6:55 pm

Obviously the underlying theme (or no so underlying theme) I'm taking here from your post is that you had a bad experience at the Trump and fair enough if so, but that does not seem to be the general consensus for others whom have stayed there. *IMO*.
How many of the people who stayed at the Trump have stayed at any other hotel in Waikiki?

Nothing will change the negatives of the Trump that I outlined. It will always have a bad pool and bad pool area, two different things by the by, you could have a great pool in bad pool (like too much shade) or a bad pool (too small, etc) in a great pool area (big deck, lots of chairs, great sunshine, etc). The Trump has both, bad pool, bad pool area. It will never be on the beach, it will always look over the Outrigger Reef, Halekulani, Sheraton, etc from its "oceanfront" rooms (how can you be ocean front a block from the beach?).

It can fix the WiFi, they could get rid of the sterile NYC feel in the lobby and rooms, they could enlarge the tiny gym, but somehow I suspect most of that won't change.
Old Mar 31, 2012, 7:44 pm

Programs: UA plat (1 mm miler) ; AA plat (2 mm miler); Marriott lifetime Titanium
How many of the people who stayed at the Trump have stayed at any other hotel in Waikiki?

Nothing will change the negatives of the Trump that I outlined. It will always have a bad pool and bad pool area, two different things by the by, you could have a great pool in bad pool (like too much shade) or a bad pool (too small, etc) in a great pool area (big deck, lots of chairs, great sunshine, etc). The Trump has both, bad pool, bad pool area. It will never be on the beach, it will always look over the Outrigger Reef, Halekulani, Sheraton, etc from its "oceanfront" rooms (how can you be ocean front a block from the beach?).

I've stayed at most of the other hotels you mention (and then some) and am familiar with all of them. Everyone is entitled to their opinion. I would agree that the pool is not great. Personally, I think the view from the Trump is much better from many of the Trump ocean facing rooms than from many rooms at the other hotels you cite. It really depends what is important to you for your stay in Waikiki. For many people visiting Honolulu, the luxury, service, and quality of the rooms at Trump would far outweigh the relative deficiencies, especially if they were spending additional time at resorts on other islands. There is no doubt in my mind that the possible availability of 1 BR suites at rates Ancien Maestro has been able to obtain is a tremendous value, unlikely to be equaled at any of the other properties.

Last edited by jtrader; Apr 1, 2012 at 3:50 pm
Old Apr 1, 2012, 3:32 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by jtrader
I've stayed at most of the other hotels you mention (and then some) and am familiar with all of them. Everyone is entitled to their opinion. I would agree that the pool is not great. Personally, I think the view from the Trump is much better from many of the ocean facing rooms than many rooms at the other hotels you cite. It really depends what is important to you for your stay in Waikiki. For many people visiting Honolulu, the luxury, service, and quality of the rooms at Trump would far outweigh the relative deficiencies, especially if they were spending additional time at resorts on other islands. There is no doubt in my mind that the possible availability of 1 BR suites at rates Ancien Maestro has been able to obtain is a tremendous value, unlikely to be equaled at any of the other properties.
Well said, the value was a definite factor. Also a factor is the VRBO by unit owners.. drives costs down, but the service is excellent and uncompomised.

Having said all that, we were in Oahu for a very short stay, and didn't have time to pool it, or beach it.. We are doing that at the Fairmont Orchid for 10 nights in an Ocean Front Suite, and Kea Lani in a one bedroom suite. We were constantly on the go go go in Oahu, and Trump was perfect for that.. but the other aspects of our vacation is balanced off, so everyone needs to evaluate how their vacation is working out.

if we are staying a week or more on Oahu, I would probably split it off with Trump in Waikiki where the action is, and Ko olina Villas or Disney Aulani for Beach time.
Old Apr 7, 2012, 5:16 pm

Programs: QFF, Krisflyer
Originally Posted by Ancien Maestro
Well said, the value was a definite factor. Also a factor is the VRBO by unit owners.. drives costs down, but the service is excellent and uncompomised.
Forgot to ask you about going via JetLuxury. So no issues, or lack of service via not going through the Hotel itself? Also what floors did you get?
Old Apr 7, 2012, 7:30 pm

Location: USA - HNL, SEA, DEN, ORD, MCO, and all points inbetween
Programs: Way too many!
Hyatt VS Trump - Not apples to apples IMO

I live on Oahu part time and visit Waikiki often. Not much to add to this thread that has not already been said.

The fact is, as another post stated, they are two very different hotels. You are not really comparing apples to apples. Trump is a very different hotel experience than Hyatt.

My girlfriend is a Trump aficionado. She loves the brand and the properties. We stay at Trump every chance we get (because she insists), and when we visit Waikiki, we always stop at Trump just to have a drink, lunch, spa, whatever. We rarely stay there as we have a place on Oahu.

You'd have to visit both. See which "flavor" of hotel you like. You are going to pay for Trump, but that's part of the brand. You can always stop by the gift shop and buy a "Trump" T-shirt to sport your support!
Old Apr 12, 2012, 6:43 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, AA Ex. PLT, Delta Diamond
I got back from the pro Bowl where I stayed at the trump and I can tell you the room is well worth the $300.00 that I paid. The service was worth the stay as well. If you go with one other person it will be a great experience. If you go with multiple people it will be more cost effective and you will still have plenty of room. My room was an deluxe studio oceanview and it was so spacious. Two Pull out sofa's and a king size bed. I still can't stop talking about this hotel. I will stay that everything in the hotel is expensive so go out on the economy and buy everything don't buy it in the hotel. If I can afford it I will stay at Trump over the hilton everytime. I will stay one thing about the hilton. There is more going on at the hilton than there is at at the trump. I see the trump as more of a couples or small party hotel and the hilton more family oriented.

Aloha.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.