Hawaii locations in The Descendants ??

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 20, 2011, 11:31 am
Original Poster

Programs: Four Seasons Aviara (owner), Starwood, Marriott, Hyatt, Hertz President's Circle, United MP 30+ yrs

Mr. zentraveler and I went to see The Descendants last night and loved the movie, but we have some disagreements about the locations of some of the scenes.

The 25,000 acre parcel: Kauai or Maui? (Kauai in the movie but mr. zentraveler thinks it is actually on Maui.) Also, the "cottage" where Brian Speer lives: I say it is on Weke Road in Hanalei Bay, he says Anini Beach or Tunnel Beach.

Any ideas ??

Last edited by mstraveler; Nov 20, 2011 at 6:17 pm Reason: Addition and misspelling.
Old Nov 20, 2011, 6:56 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA: 2 MM
Originally Posted by mstraveler
Mr. zentraveler and I went to see The Descendants last night and loved the movie, but we have some disagreements about the locations of some of the scenes.

The 25,000 acre parcel: Kauai or Maui? (Kauai in the movie but mr. zentraveler thinks it is actually on Maui.) Also, the "cottage" where Brian Speer lives: I say it is on Weke Road in Hanalei Bay, he says Anini Beach or Tunnel Beach.

Any ideas ??
I'm pretty sure it was Kauai. They turned off the highway to go up in the mountains on Kauai - of course that's no proof they ended up there. Further, the credits mention Oahu, Kauai and the Big Island - not Maui. I'm not sure where that cottage was, but all those Princeville shots were pretty clearly around the Westin and St. Regis. There used to be a couple of people from Kauai who posted here regularly, so we may not find out for sure.

BTW, saw it yesterday and loved it. I'm expecting George and "Mrs. Speer" to get Oscar nominations.
Old Nov 20, 2011, 10:37 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Four Seasons Aviara (owner), Starwood, Marriott, Hyatt, Hertz President's Circle, United MP 30+ yrs
Originally Posted by ILuvParis
I'm pretty sure it was Kauai. They turned off the highway to go up in the mountains on Kauai - of course that's no proof they ended up there. Further, the credits mention Oahu, Kauai and the Big Island - not Maui. I'm not sure where that cottage was, but all those Princeville shots were pretty clearly around the Westin and St. Regis. There used to be a couple of people from Kauai who posted here regularly, so we may not find out for sure.

BTW, saw it yesterday and loved it. I'm expecting George and "Mrs. Speer" to get Oscar nominations.
Noticed that also in the credits and suspect it was Kauai.

I also recognized most of the Princeville shots and think I recognized the Weke Rd. cottages, hence the debate with mr. zentraveler! Maybe as more people who know the island see the movie we will get an answer!

(And yes, I thought it was a lovely movie, not the least of which was the scenery and music.)
Old Nov 21, 2011, 11:16 am

Programs: UA 1K 2MM Flier, SPG Plt, Hilton Dia
I remember being on Kauai earlier this year just after they finished filming the Princeville/Hanalei scenes. I've been looking forward to seeing it and I'm glad it's been released - I guess I know what's being added to my calendar for this weekend!
Old Nov 23, 2011, 4:49 am

Programs: UA/Hawaiian/Marriott
Some of the bar and restaurant shots that show the ocean and some pool scenes were filmed at Elks Lodge 616.... which is at the base of Diamond Head/end of Kalakaua Ave.......
Old Dec 7, 2011, 10:54 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Bearcat06
Some of the bar and restaurant shots that show the ocean and some pool scenes were filmed at Elks Lodge 616.... which is at the base of Diamond Head/end of Kalakaua Ave.......
Thanks and had not known about that location. Am now more convinced that the Speer cottage is Weke Rd. Need some Kauai FT opinions!

Saw it again and liked it all over again the second time. I am expecting George and Shailene Woodley to get the nomination (though I thought Judy Greer as Mrs. Speer was also terrific.)
Old Dec 9, 2011, 1:35 am

Programs: UA/Hawaiian/Marriott
Originally Posted by mstraveler
Thanks and had not known about that location.
From talking to folks that have seen it (I haven't yet) they list the place as the "Outrigger Surf Club." I guess they were trying to make it look like Outrigger Canoe Club which is next door to the Elks Lodge......

It was filmed before our bar area was remodled....so the place looks a wee bit nicer now.....
Old Dec 9, 2011, 2:22 am
Community Director Emerita

The cottage is definitely on Weke Road. You can see the groomed bushes in front of the cottage when driving down Weke Road. I believe it is Nalu Beach Cottage.

The bar where George sees Beau Bridges is in Hanalei. It is Tahiti Nui Bar and it has great music as in the movie.

Here's an article about locations used for this and other movies.

Last edited by SanDiego1K; Dec 9, 2011 at 2:31 am
Old Dec 9, 2011, 8:59 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA: 2 MM
Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
The cottage is definitely on Weke Road. You can see the groomed bushes in front of the cottage when driving down Weke Road. I believe it is Nalu Beach Cottage.

The bar where George sees Beau Bridges is in Hanalei. It is Tahiti Nui Bar and it has great music as in the movie.

Here's an article about locations used for this and other movies.
Are all these "Georges" getting confusing?
Old Dec 9, 2011, 9:38 am

Originally Posted by ILuvParis
Are all these "Georges" getting confusing?
Beau Bridges is alleged to have a north shore home, and this is alleged to be his favorite bar. You just never know who any random George or Jeff or Mary might see on entering the bar.
Old Dec 9, 2011, 11:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
Old Dec 9, 2011, 12:14 pm

Part-time Kauai resident Beau Bridges plays King's cousin, and is a real-life patron at Tahiti Nui, a rakish Hanalei bar that serves as a key backdrop in the film. "All the guys you see in the scene in the background are just local folks who were hanging at the bar," Bridges tells BlogTalkRadio."The Hawaiian band in the scene play there every Thursday night. Tahiti Nui is a legendary hang."

http://travel.usatoday.com/destinati...kauai/571417/1

Also, from same article is the answer as to where the family land holdings are:

-- Owned by the missionary-descended Rice family, Kipu Kai is the setting for the King trust's land holdings. A three-hour, $125 ATV tour by Kipu Ranch Adventures includes a stop at the beach (which is accessible only by boat) and valley overlook.

Some of the DESCENDANTS movie locations are shown on this tour: http://www.hawaiimovietour.com/
Old Dec 12, 2011, 4:00 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
Beau Bridges is alleged to have a north shore home, and this is alleged to be his favorite bar. You just never know who any random George or Jeff or Mary might see on entering the bar.
It is MY favorite bar there too and I hope this movie does not ruin it (Sideways and what happened that area of CA comes to mind). It is really the only place in that area that I was able to find on the last visit that has good (i.e. real) live Hawaiian music. Going to the Big Island this year, but always interested in where to hear live music on the islands.
Old Dec 28, 2011, 6:04 am

The Descendants Location

The 25,000 acre parcel in the book is on Kauai ... and that's the case for the location in the movie. The land is a 900 acre ranch not far from Nawiliwili harbor (but cut off by the mountains) called "Kipu Kai." It's only accessible by four wheel drive, zodiac boat (or helicopter). The ranch is owned by the Waterhouse family (an old kamaaina family) and their story is similar to the Kings. The family acquired the land in the late 1800s from Princess Ruth. I was privileged to visit Kipu Kai when working on a project with Alex Waterhouse.
Old Dec 28, 2011, 7:05 am
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
I am more familiar with the Honolulu locations.

The main King household looked to be in Nu`uanu, either on the Old Pali Road side or by the O`ahu Country Club. This would be a logical place for an old kama`aina family to live, although I have never seen a goat on someone's lawn and can't imagine that the residents in that area would allow it.

King's law office looked to be at 1100 Alakea Street.

The Speer house was described to be in the Black Point area, but it looked closer to the adjacent area around Diamond Head Road near Pu`u Panini and the Triangle Park.

The house where Scotty's classmate lived (the one receceiving the rude texts) looked to be in Kaimuki near Pahoa Ave.

I noticed the University of Hawai`i - Manoa's East-West Center building in the background of scenes shot at Scotty's school.

The hospital scenes looked to be at Queen's, but some of the shots out of the windows made me think they were shooting at Kuakini.

I'll look forward to watching the movie again and taking a closer look at the scenery.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.