First time in Hawaii - where to?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

First time in Hawaii - where to?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 17, 2011, 7:52 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Thanks Jim..

We're heading to Oahu for the very first time.. and would be nice to get something family friendly and roomy.. Checked out Aulani, and maybe we'll consider the neighboring Mariott..
Old Oct 18, 2011, 9:32 am

Hi Ranshe,

I'm a big Sheraton fan in Hawaii but I must admit when I did a site inspection this past April that the Big Island location isn't as strong as the other islands.

The highlight of the property is the ability to see the Manta Rays feeding at night. The hotel shines lights down on the water which attract plankton. The manta come in and feed. It's really cool.

On the flip side, the property is about 45 minutes from the main resort areas (but closer to downtown Kona). It's tucked back in a neighborhood that will require some precise navigation to find it. I must admit I got lost a few times. IMO the hotel seemed a little dated. As for a beach, the property is located on top of black lava rock but there is a beach within walking distance.

I know the Sheraton is offering really good deals so that might be worth overlooking some of these things. But I think it's important to know what you're buying. If you're choosing between the Marriott, Hilton and Sheraton, the first two would be better options based on what you've described for your family.

Hope this helps!

Jim Bendt - Owner - Travel Beyond
Old Oct 18, 2011, 7:07 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, LH silver --> nothing, LY gold --> nothing
Great info

Thanks again, very helpful
Old Dec 4, 2017, 11:43 pm

very helpful info. thank you

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.