Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Hawaii
Reload this Page >

Any car rental discount codes working for Christmas 2011 in Hawaii?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 15, 2011, 12:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I have some hard-won frequent flyer tickets to Hawaii for X-mas. Given that it's peak season, I figure I'd better hold a car rental -- just in case the prices get worse.

Without much effort, I've managed to get a daily rate of $29+ at both HNL and LIH on a compact with Avis. Seems to be my standard Preferred discount, and is also available on all the other "usual" codes (125 miles per day, but that shouldn't be a problem in Hawaii). It's certainly OK, but I'd like to get SOMETHING off this -- free weekend day, upgrade, etc. Every code/coupon I try with any of the majors gets tossed out. Anyone have any luck using coupons/codes in Hawaii for X-mas?

Thanks.
Old May 16, 2011, 10:30 am
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Funny, the Orlando Magicard worked some wonders for me.. I'm not sure about the time period.

Just quote Orlando Magicard with reservations.. its a free card printed online from the city of Orlando. Works accross different rental companies.
Old May 17, 2011, 8:51 pm

Originally Posted by iahphx
I have some hard-won frequent flyer tickets to Hawaii for X-mas. Given that it's peak season, I figure I'd better hold a car rental -- just in case the prices get worse.

Without much effort, I've managed to get a daily rate of $29+ at both HNL and LIH on a compact with Avis. Seems to be my standard Preferred discount, and is also available on all the other "usual" codes (125 miles per day, but that shouldn't be a problem in Hawaii). It's certainly OK, but I'd like to get SOMETHING off this -- free weekend day, upgrade, etc. Every code/coupon I try with any of the majors gets tossed out. Anyone have any luck using coupons/codes in Hawaii for X-mas?

Thanks.
Dates?
Old May 18, 2011, 2:30 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Have had decent luck with autoslash... see if they can dig something up perhaps.
Old May 19, 2011, 10:02 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Lifetime SkyClub, AS MVP
Originally Posted by beckoa
Have had decent luck with autoslash... see if they can dig something up perhaps.
+1

Used autoslash about two weeks before a trip to Maui to book a car in April ---- the price came down twice during that time period. I didn't have to do anything to get the lower rates except read the emails and adjust the reservation number in tripit --- autoslash did all the work.
Old May 19, 2011, 10:50 am

Programs: Priority Club Plat, AA Gold
Today only, if you have AA miles, you can get a 30% discount on the # of miles needed via this promotion https://secure.fly.aa.com/30promo/index.aspx. Must register before booking and it may be non-refundable. Over Xmas I found economy car for 1343 miles/day at LIH (didn't check others) including the 30% discount and my AA Plat discount. You still have to pay the taxes, which I think are the same you'd pay on the $29+ rental you found, but can't swear to it.

Same 30% discount on miles used for hotels.

Last edited by rofly; May 19, 2011 at 10:55 am
Old May 19, 2011, 11:20 am

Programs: IHG Gold Ambassador
autoslash is your best bet. December is the cash cow for Hawaii and most of the time they don't have any deals or coupon codes that are offered.
Old May 19, 2011, 1:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
Try this site, it gave me the best rates for a car with a specific company (versus a generic pick)

http://www.discounthawaiicarrental.com/
Old May 19, 2011, 1:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Thanks for the tips, guys.

Autoslash triples my $29 rate, so you can see the limitations of that system.

And nothing at discounthawaiicarrental helps.

That AA deal MIGHT be good, but my plans aren't 100% firm, so I'll pass (hoping to get better AA flights, although my odds are low).

I've reached the conclusion that my not-very-special discount is a good deal for X-mas! At least for now.
Old May 19, 2011, 10:48 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Thanks for the tips, guys.

Autoslash triples my $29 rate, so you can see the limitations of that system.

And nothing at discounthawaiicarrental helps.

That AA deal MIGHT be good, but my plans aren't 100% firm, so I'll pass (hoping to get better AA flights, although my odds are low).

I've reached the conclusion that my not-very-special discount is a good deal for X-mas! At least for now.
I posted this before.. but over the phone, did you quote Orlando Magicard.. Crazy, it worked for me in Hawaii..
Old May 20, 2011, 9:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Ancien Maestro
I posted this before.. but over the phone, did you quote Orlando Magicard.. Crazy, it worked for me in Hawaii..
Yeah, I tried it with both Thrifty and Dollar and got -- nothing.

But with the published rates so high in Hawaii for X-mas, I'm thinking my $29/day rate with Avis is pretty good (I actually decided to upgrade it to intermediate for $31). It's a bit odd because most of the usual Avis discounts get you to this exact price, even though their "regular" rates are very high for X-mas. I used my USAA code because it's completely legit for me. Alas, Avis Hawaii is prickly about coupons, and they seem to have blacked out all of them.

Avis is also sending me some customer service "good as cash" certs for my troubles with their Discover America promo (you can read the Avis forum if you're interested). Maybe I can use them with this rate. If so, it's probably the best deal I can possibly get for X-mas.
Old May 20, 2011, 9:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
Keep checking discount hawaii rental, the rates may come down. I haven't been able to find a better rate anywhere for the islands.

OH... one other thing... try these island air codes.. sometime they yield some really nice savings:

Avis - D802300
Budget-U030087
National-5028003

I don't have a code for Hertz, but you can check the island air website to see if they have one.

I think I got some outstanding rates from Budget, but I would try them all.
Old May 20, 2011, 10:36 pm
Suspended

Yeah, I tried it with both Thrifty and Dollar and got -- nothing.

But with the published rates so high in Hawaii for X-mas, I'm thinking my $29/day rate with Avis is pretty good (I actually decided to upgrade it to intermediate for $31). It's a bit odd because most of the usual Avis discounts get you to this exact price, even though their "regular" rates are very high for X-mas. I used my USAA code because it's completely legit for me. Alas, Avis Hawaii is prickly about coupons, and they seem to have blacked out all of them.

Avis is also sending me some customer service "good as cash" certs for my troubles with their Discover America promo (you can read the Avis forum if you're interested). Maybe I can use them with this rate. If so, it's probably the best deal I can possibly get for X-mas.
Actually $29-$31 for Christmas Break is very good.. its' not low season.. and usually the rental care companies sell out.

Lucky to even get sitting inventory at any car rental place Christmas Break.

I did have some luck one year as I sent my parents down to Maui for a week. They stayed at Maui Sunset, and used that promo code to get a good rental rate. So depending on where you're staying, they may have a promo code for you to use as well.

As Mary2e says, keep on checking back.. The $31 is certainly not a sticker shock for Christmas time of year..
Old May 21, 2011, 1:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Ancien Maestro
As Mary2e says, keep on checking back.. The $31 is certainly not a sticker shock for Christmas time of year..
Right, although I just paid $10/day over Easter, so I'm spoiled.

And, of course, it's not as reasonable as it sounds because the taxes/fees will almost double the price (especially since I was reading last month that Hawaii was about to raise their car rental taxes further).

I just want to be able to apply a coupon (like a day free), and I'll be happy.
Old May 21, 2011, 7:31 pm

Lock up your best rate and then keep watching for coupons to come out and/or have their dates extended. Most coupons are good only for pickup through around June right now. There *will* be coupons you will be able to apply later.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.