Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Maui in Feb, wait to ticket?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 30, 2011, 4:23 pm
Original Poster

Maui in Feb, wait to ticket?

Too soon to buy Maui tickets from Chicago for next Feb? High now, about $1100. But with the price of oil...?
Old Apr 30, 2011, 4:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
Originally Posted by dw56
Too soon to buy Maui tickets from Chicago for next Feb? High now, about $1100. But with the price of oil...?
Many airlines will give you a refund if prices drop. Check each airline's rules first.
Old Apr 30, 2011, 6:51 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
I would say its a bit early to buy tickets.. Its only best right now to book on points travel to OGG if that is what you're planning to do. Otherwise, I would wait and check some websites in the mean time.
Old May 1, 2011, 1:26 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by philemer
Many airlines will give you a refund if prices drop. Check each airline's rules first.
After a change fee of at least $150 - and the refund is usually in the form of a credit voucher, not a refund to the original form of payment.
Old May 1, 2011, 7:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
Originally Posted by bocastephen
After a change fee of at least $150 - and the refund is usually in the form of a credit voucher, not a refund to the original form of payment.
It looks like are saying ALL airlines charge at least a $150 fee. Can you be more specific. TIA.
Old May 1, 2011, 9:36 am
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
My general experience getting from Main land to the islands on AE award points is generally $90 plus tax per ticket for changes. I've booked this route for the past 8 years. I've heard inter-island flights on Go! you can show up and catch an early flight or book changes without charges.. not sure about refunds though.. but the interisland flights are cheap enough anyways, I would just take the change in flights at par.. But we've only flown Hawaiian Air, and they seem pretty laid back about everything at check-in and security.. perhaps they too have a flexible miss the flight policy.
Old May 1, 2011, 11:18 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by philemer
It looks like are saying ALL airlines charge at least a $150 fee. Can you be more specific. TIA.
I don't know of a single airline that flies from the mainland US to the Islands who does not charge a change fee on all restricted fares.
Old May 3, 2011, 6:33 am

Programs: AA Gold, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold
Red face

I found fares on AA out of DFW for under 300 each way for March 2012, (last month). Not sure of your exact dates but found some in the 400's out of Chicago. Also, already used miles to upgrade all 4 seats both ways. That is a plus for booking early if you are wanting to do that.
Old May 3, 2011, 11:40 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by alexcturner
I found fares on AA out of DFW for under 300 each way for March 2012, (last month). Not sure of your exact dates but found some in the 400's out of Chicago. Also, already used miles to upgrade all 4 seats both ways. That is a plus for booking early if you are wanting to do that.
If those fares are tax-in, I agree book those prices.. you probably won't find lower fares for high season.
Old May 9, 2011, 3:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Location: Honolulu, Hawaiʻi [+MKK4 EBBER R577 EDSEL R577 ELKEY EXERT]
Wirelessly posted (iPhone-ETOPS: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8F190 Safari/6533.18.5)

Unless there's a fare sale, it's way to early to be booking for Feb of next year. Set a Kayak fare alert email and get daily updates on the fare to monitor. Then use Bing's price predictor to see if they predict your fare to drop as it gets closer.

As for go!, yes they allow free standby and so does Island Air. But then you'd be flying go! Not that it's relevant to this thread, but one should wider whether go will still be going next year, given their recent press about atrocious delays. Too many mx issues with their CRJs.
Old May 9, 2011, 10:59 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by slippahs
Wirelessly posted (iPhone-ETOPS: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8F190 Safari/6533.18.5)

Unless there's a fare sale, it's way to early to be booking for Feb of next year. Set a Kayak fare alert email and get daily updates on the fare to monitor. Then use Bing's price predictor to see if they predict your fare to drop as it gets closer.

As for go!, yes they allow free standby and so does Island Air. But then you'd be flying go! Not that it's relevant to this thread, but one should wider whether go will still be going next year, given their recent press about atrocious delays. Too many mx issues with their CRJs.
I would second Slippahs comment about Go!.. as the reason why we fly with Hawaiian, even though ticket prices are a bit more expensive.. and I'm not sure about the restrictions, but I think Expedia mentioned a change fee involved one time I was checking. Local employees, have communicated to our family how a while back Go (Mokulele)! cut prices and caused Aloha Airlines to go out of business.

A bit out of respect for the Kama'aina and for us a little bit more certainty on flight schedule and stability is our reason why we continue to choose Hawaiian Airlines.
Old May 15, 2011, 9:55 am

Programs: Delta Plat Kool-Aid Drinker, Hyatt Diamond, SPG GM, Marriott GM, Hilton GM, and Priority Club GM
Shoot, wish I saw this eariler...and could've told you tickets where in the $500's RT for Feb 2012 this past week!

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/milea...o-quickly.html

Still seeing for $710 all-in to HNL non stop in Feb 2012 Seeing $804 to OGG 1-stop.
Old May 16, 2011, 10:34 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by MSPDeltaDude
Shoot, wish I saw this eariler...and could've told you tickets where in the $500's RT for Feb 2012 this past week!

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/milea...o-quickly.html

Still seeing for $710 all-in to HNL non stop in Feb 2012 Seeing $804 to OGG 1-stop.
I think OP wants to go February.

The fares I was reading, was for mostly this summer 2011.. but glad that you got a gem of a booking! Rare gem at that.
Old May 16, 2011, 5:42 pm

Programs: Delta Plat Kool-Aid Drinker, Hyatt Diamond, SPG GM, Marriott GM, Hilton GM, and Priority Club GM
Originally Posted by Ancien Maestro
I think OP wants to go February.

The fares I was reading, was for mostly this summer 2011.. but glad that you got a gem of a booking! Rare gem at that.

Did you read my post?!?!....I booked my trip for FEB 2012 like he wanted as well.
Old May 16, 2011, 10:33 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by MSPDeltaDude
Did you read my post?!?!....I booked my trip for FEB 2012 like he wanted as well.
Yes.. that's why I said you got a gem of a booking..

More like the glitch of the patch.. I've got a few of those in the past.

Personally, from YYC, I would never pay more than $700 return.. but for the past 8 years we've flown to the islands on miles.. which is always an excellent deal.

In fact, we got next year spring break booked..^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.