Wiki Posts
Search

Maui Bus from OGG to Kapalua

Search this Thread

Old May 10, 2011, 3:21 pm
Original Poster

Programs: CO, UA, SPG
Maui Bus from OGG to Kapalua

I'm arriving at OGG at 2:15pm and unfortunately my friend can't pick me up. I did a search for past discussions about taking the Maui Bus to Kapalua, but they are a few years old.

I looked at the bus timetable on Google Transit. It is saying it will take me well over 7 hours to reach Kapalua, but I think it is being conservative. According to the Maui Bus timetable, the bus arrives at a transfer point on the hour. The next bus I have to take leaves on the hour from the same stop. Google Transit assumes I will miss the bus leaving on the hour, and therefore I will have to wait until the next one an hour later.

I'm thinking that surely they coordinate transfers, i.e. Bus 2 won't leave until Bus 1 arrives, since it is the terminal point for both routes and surely there are other people who ride route-to-route all the way from Kahului. Can anyone confirm this?

Also, I read something about a baggage restriction on Maui Bus. Is this enforced? I will only be carrying a 60-litre backpack. Not much bigger than a couple of large shopping bags.
Old May 11, 2011, 1:50 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold, Marriott Rewards Silver,United Miles plus Hawaiian Air AirTran SWA
Luggage
If your BP will fit on your lap, you should be ok otherwise they do enforce their baggage restrictions as they are not a shuttle service per se.

Shuttles
Check into them

Maui Bus
You will have to transfer 1-2 times most likely at Kaahumanu Center and or Maalaea Harbor

Rental Car
Check into them
You could rent a car one way to the West Side

Taxis
Share a cab with people going to the same area
Taxi service is easy at baggage claim
Old May 12, 2011, 5:29 am

Programs: Starwood Gold, HiltonHHonors Silver, Marriott Silver, Delta SkyMiles
Heck, you could probably walk to Kapalua in 7 hours!

If you can't/won't do a one-way car rental, then taxi service will probably run you $100 or so from the airport to Kapalua. Consider doing this instead of taking 7x longer than necessary to get to your destination. This is your vacation, after all!
Old May 12, 2011, 11:18 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
If money is really tight, you might hitchhike there -- make a colorful sign that reads "Kapalua" and go over to the airport access road west of where all the rental cars make the right turn out. Hitchhiking has its risks, but it's pretty common in Hawaii. I'd have been comfortable doing it when I was young.

Specific location: corner of Keolani Pl. and Hemaloa St. http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sour...09109&t=h&z=17
Walk through the parking lot to get there. All sorts of car renters will be heading out to Kapalua from there.

Last edited by dhuey; May 12, 2011 at 11:28 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.