Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Hawaii
Reload this Page >

Catering on the Big Island

Old Apr 1, 2011, 9:38 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Platinum

My son is getting married next year at the Mauna Kea resort. The wedding and reception will be at the hotel but my wife and I will host a rehearsal dinner at a house we plan to rent for the week.

We don't want to do the cooking and were wondering if any of you out there know of (or have had any experience with) any of the caterers on the Big Island. We have done a few web seaches and have found a couple but wanted to know if anyone has had any first hand experience.

I suspect that many of the reataurants cater (Merriman's , etc) but were looking to find someone to actually do most of the cooking at the residence and not just bring pre-cooked food from the restaurant.
Old Apr 1, 2011, 9:40 pm

Programs: DL-MM-Diamond HH-Diamond
I love Mauna Kea. I don't know of any carefree there, but can ask my friend whom owns a condo there for you. I can send an email to her and ask if you'd like.
Old Apr 2, 2011, 6:10 am

Programs: DL PM / MM Ex UA & US Gold Starwood & Hilton Gold
Island Thyme Gourmet-personal chef service, http://www.islandthymegourmet.com

Clare and her Chef Husband Dan are well known on the Big Island for their Great Food and Service.
Old Apr 2, 2011, 3:40 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Platinum
MR_MAMA, any suggestions would be useful - thanks.

I would like to interview several caterers over the phone and get some recommendations from their past clients as we will have to arrange everything remotely and won't be able to do any tastings to confirm the food, etc.

JA610, thanks for the link; I will check them out.
Old Apr 2, 2011, 6:18 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Daniel Thiebaut's would be my first choice by far.
Old Apr 3, 2011, 9:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
Originally Posted by rockdoc

I suspect that many of the reataurants cater (Merriman's , etc) but were looking to find someone to actually do most of the cooking at the residence and not just bring pre-cooked food from the restaurant.
I kind of doubt that D.T. would send a chef to your home though. They do make an awesome meal however.
Old Apr 5, 2011, 9:10 pm

Programs: UA/HH/Marriott Gold
It's on the casual side, but FlyinHawaiian and I were both pretty impressed with the food at Huli Sue's BBQ when we were there two years ago, and they appear to do catering.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.