Reload this Page >

Ritz Kapalua (Maui) to be auctioned in May

Old Mar 29, 11, 7:22 am
Original Poster

Programs: Starwood Gold, HiltonHHonors Silver, Marriott Silver, Delta SkyMiles

http://www.bizjournals.com/pacific/n...html?ana=yfcpc

"The auction for the 262-room luxury hotel in West Maui was scheduled for May 5...after 2nd Circuit Judge Shackley Raffeto issued a foreclosure order earlier this month. The sale will include 73 residential suites and 35 other suites, as well as 23 commercial units..."
Old Mar 29, 11, 7:32 am
Original Poster

More info:

http://www.mauinews.com/page/content...on.html?nav=10

"Since the ownership of the giant hotel has been broken up, the sale is for guest rooms that have not already sold as condos, along with other areas including the spa, and common areas - for a total of 262 guest rooms, 34 executive suites and one regular suite, 73 residential suites, the restaurants and lounges, pools, the fitness center, tennis courts and 48 acres of oceanfront land."
Old Apr 11, 11, 10:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Formerly HPN, but then DCA and IAD for a while, and now back to HPN!
Programs: Honestly, I've been out of the travel game so long that I'm not even sure. Maybe Marriott Gold?
I guess it's up to whoever buys the property, but I assume this means it's closing (at least under the Ritz umbrella) after early May. I've been getting some promotional ads from somewhere (maybe Amex) offering package deals at the hotel, though, so I'm a little confused. Maybe the promos all end by April 30.

Has anyone heard of any plans for the property post-May?
Old Apr 13, 11, 7:16 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Plat
We tried to stay at this Ritz the last week in March but US Bank reserved the entire resort. We went to the Ritz for lunch. Beautiful property, but as noted in other posts it is very windy and rainy. We were glad we stayed at the Marriott in Wailea, where it was sunny and dry every day. Our lunch at the Ritz was very nice, but if weather is a factor, the Ritz is not so good of a choice.
Old Apr 17, 11, 10:28 am
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Just got back from Maui.. actually drove by the Ritz Kapalua yesterday.. location is a bummer, but I said to my wife, I think this Ritz may follow the fate of the Ritz Orchid and become a Fairmont.

In order for this to happen, the entire property must be sold as one piece, and not broken up into many little pieces.
Old Apr 21, 11, 6:45 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Ancien Maestro View Post
Just got back from Maui.. actually drove by the Ritz Kapalua yesterday.. location is a bummer, but I said to my wife, I think this Ritz may follow the fate of the Ritz Orchid and become a Fairmont.
I think the location, both being too north and being set back too far from the ocean, make it good for condos but not great for a hotel. When I'm paying that kind of money, I want to hear the ocean from my room.
Old Apr 21, 11, 8:28 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Recreation View Post
I think the location, both being too north and being set back too far from the ocean, make it good for condos but not great for a hotel. When I'm paying that kind of money, I want to hear the ocean from my room.
Good point.. I've drove through a number of times, but never stayed there.. the location near water would be of importance, especially with some of the rates Ritz Kapalua is charging.
Old Apr 29, 11, 10:07 pm

Programs: Delta DM, SPG Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Hertz 5* Gold
So -- I'm supposed to stay at this property in June. Should I be booking a back up reservation someplace else?

Matt
Old Apr 30, 11, 11:31 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by enigmamatt View Post
So -- I'm supposed to stay at this property in June. Should I be booking a back up reservation someplace else?

Matt
You can call into the hotel and talk with a manager.. but I don't see as being a problem. I stayed at Fairmont Orchid on the BI with no problems even though they went through a foreclosure.. and dined at the Wailea Four Seasons, and the property seemed fine as well. I'm surprised Grand Wailea went under, but its just a debt holder tactic squeezing out the poor equity stakeholders there.. so everything is fine there as well.

Don't take my word for it.. read up the latest reviews on www.tripadvisor.com and phone up the Ritz manager, and make a decision.
Old May 2, 11, 10:36 am
Original Poster

I don't know. They didn't just restructure their debt while continuing normal operations, they are actually selling the hotel operations to another entity. What would trouble me is that the staff has no idea what the future will bring, so they might start leaving. Can/will the hotel try and replace those employees? Doubtful.
Old May 2, 11, 12:35 pm
Suspended

The Big Island and Maui economy has been severely impacted by the recession, and not alot of available jobs to go around for the locals. Many workers still commute via ferry from neighboring islands.. traveling 1 1/2 hours to 2 hours each way to get to work.

Likely employees leaving Ritz Kapalua will not be by choice, rather through involuntary termination or layoffs. Those who are not working at Ritz Kapalua will probably be out of a job for the time being, as a result I think most employees are hoping to stay.
Old May 5, 11, 10:18 pm

Programs: TG*G, SQ, QF
Some good deals on XP for this property at the moment for stays in June. $280/night including fees/taxes for 3 pax with car hire included..
Old May 11, 11, 10:23 pm
Moderator: Credit Card Programs & Chase Ultimate Rewards

Programs: Too many to list
Originally Posted by cmdsea View Post
Some good deals on XP for this property at the moment for stays in June. $280/night including fees/taxes for 3 pax with car hire included..
Abbreviations are fine is some areas but I don't "get" XP (yes, I am an experienced traveler.)

If you're meaning Expedia I'd suggest "Expedia". XP is my browser!
Old May 14, 11, 10:51 pm

Programs: AA PLT/2MM, UA PLT, Inspirato, Wheels Up, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, Amex Plat
Hey everyone,

I just spoke with a manager at the Ritz Kapalua, as well as a good friend who works for Ritz Carlton. Both stated very clearly that this property will be a Ritz Carlton for many many years. Maui Land & Pineapple basically defaulted on the loan, and now Lehman Bros is back in control. They were the ones who originally owned it, and supposedly Ritz Carlton has naming rights for at least 40 or so years.

http://www.hawaiinewsnetwork.com/leh...rlton-kapalua/

Search this Thread