Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Hawaii
Reload this Page >

Honolulus airport taxi drivers should improve a lot

Old Mar 7, 11, 11:35 pm
Original Poster

It seems like some of them understand VERY little English, when I first landed here in January after some 24 hrs of travelling it took a very long time for the driver to figure out and it seems like he didn't understand even though I showed him a printout from Google Maps with the address I was going to and that adress was even in Waikiki (no I couldn't bring any hotel name because I was not staying in a hotel).

Not very fun when you are exhausted after travelling a long way. I read it was a real problem some weeks ago in the Star Advertiser, so it was defintely not only me. I mean when you land in a country where everybody speaks English (and even the de facto official language) you should expect the taxi driver to know that language especially when operating out of the airport. Experinced the same thing in Hilo a couple of weeks ago and first he took me to the wrong place. It is such a shame because Hawaii is really a beautiful place, but first impression means a lot.Now I hardly take taxis so probably the in city drivers are better. I stick to TheBus and my lovely Walmart 140 dollar bicycle to get around Oahu.

Search this Thread