Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Hawaii
Reload this Page >

Maui: Grand Wailea, Four Seasons or Fairmont Kea Lani?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24, 2011, 10:20 am
Original Poster

Hello everyone!

My fiancé and I are going to be spending 5 nights of our honeymoon in Maui this coming August. I've been to Maui a couple times and stayed at the Kaanapali beach resorts, so we will for sure be staying in Wailea area. I have been doing some research and comparing prices and hotel for the Grand Wailea, Four Seasons, and the Kea Lani. I would love to hear any comparisons or suggestions on the 3. Also, I would prefer to hear reviews for Kea Lani from someone who was visited since the big renovation. We are in our mid-late 20s and enjoy quality service and 4-5 star resorts. For comparison terms, I would say that all 3 are within our budget and we just want to see what is best for us. Thanks in advance for any advise!
Old Jan 24, 2011, 10:36 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
We stayed at the Kea Lani a couple years ago and would absolutely recommend it as an ideal destination. The rooms are excellent. Food was very good. They did a nice job with the pools by spliting off families from couples. Families hang out around the upper pool with the slide and its lower end kiddie pools. Couples hang out around the "other" pool. I didn't see much of it given were were there with the kids. The beach is very private and quiet. You will not see a lot of traffic there.

We did try breakfast at each of the three hotels. IIRC the GW was the best breakfast. 4Seasons breakfast was a bit tired compared to the KL and GW.

GW is a destination hotel. There is a lot to do there. It has a real resort feel to it. If you want a private and quiet time together, you will be less likely to find it here. If you're looking for an active vacation - this could be a good place. Also, you will find lots of Japanese couples for their weddings in the GW chapel.

4Seasons is a quiet location for a low key vacation. I didn't see much there and I didn't see a whole lot going on. But then, we didn't spend much time there (just breakfast). My feel was this is more a destination for more "mature" couples (i.e., older folks).

Would I go to Kea Lani again? In a heart beat!
Old Jan 24, 2011, 1:30 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Check the Four Seasons Maui thread in the Luxury Hotels forum - you want to make sure they aren't hosting any "filming events" or "dignitaries" lest you be treated like an annoying after-thought by the staff.
Old Jan 25, 2011, 12:44 pm
Original Poster

Thanks!

Thanks for the help! We ended up booking the Four Seasons. We figured we might as well splurge with it being our honeymoon! I have had a lot of family suggestions and have been doing some research, but does anyone have any suggestions for restaurants not to miss in Maui and Kauai?? We really enjoy a great restaurant experience with interesting dishes, both upscale and casual. I would prefer something with a great view or located on the beach. Thanks!
Old Jan 25, 2011, 1:06 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum 3mm, Starwood Gold
Originally Posted by kmichellek
Thanks for the help! We ended up booking the Four Seasons. We figured we might as well splurge with it being our honeymoon! I have had a lot of family suggestions and have been doing some research, but does anyone have any suggestions for restaurants not to miss in Maui and Kauai?? We really enjoy a great restaurant experience with interesting dishes, both upscale and casual. I would prefer something with a great view or located on the beach. Thanks!
The Hotel Wailea, which is on the other side of the road and up the hill from you has a great restaurant, Capische?. Beautiful out door dining in a Japanese garden setting. Great view of the beach from that elevation. Actually located almost directly above the Grand Wailea.

Last edited by jw3putt; Jan 25, 2011 at 1:07 pm Reason: Further info
Old Jan 26, 2011, 1:38 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the restaurant suggestion jw3putt. I just looked it up and between the view and food it looks amazing. I love how close it is the the FS but completely different experience. We will definitely have to check it out.
Old Jan 26, 2011, 9:03 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
I can't remember if this was 4S or GW. One of these hotels offered a beach front dinner. They actually set up a table for two out on the sand and all the trimmings for a romanic dinner at sunset.
Old Jan 27, 2011, 9:33 pm

Originally Posted by WillTravel4Food
I can't remember if this was 4S or GW. One of these hotels offered a beach front dinner. They actually set up a table for two out on the sand and all the trimmings for a romanic dinner at sunset.
Just finished a glorious stay at the Four Seasons at a great rate. The Grand Wailea is right next door and you can walk around the ground to check it out. Too noisy and too many kids.
Old Jan 27, 2011, 9:37 pm

Programs: Hyatt
Originally Posted by jw3putt
The Hotel Wailea, which is on the other side of the road and up the hill from you has a great restaurant, Capische?. Beautiful out door dining in a Japanese garden setting. Great view of the beach from that elevation. Actually located almost directly above the Grand Wailea.
Me and my GF stayed at Hotel Wailea and LOVED IT! Great Service!

Capische food was FANTASTIC! The Mako Shark was too die for!

They knew we were celebrating my birthday and brought out a dessert for us which was also fantastic!
Old Jan 28, 2011, 12:56 pm

Programs: Starwood Gold, HiltonHHonors Silver, Marriott Silver, Delta SkyMiles
For a romantic couples only stay. No question: Four Seasons.
Old Jan 28, 2011, 1:06 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum 3mm, Starwood Gold
Originally Posted by pranu
Me and my GF stayed at Hotel Wailea and LOVED IT! Great Service!

Capische food was FANTASTIC! The Mako Shark was too die for!

They knew we were celebrating my birthday and brought out a dessert for us which was also fantastic!
We had dinner there in December and after walking the hotel grounds we booked the Hotel Wailea for next December. Glad to hear you liked the hotel. Is it true that they have a shuttle to the beach and complementary beach chairs?
Old Jan 28, 2011, 11:08 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
We loved Capische. It seems like hardly anyone has heard of it. I hope it stays in business.
Old Jan 31, 2011, 8:50 am

Programs: Hyatt
We had dinner there in December and after walking the hotel grounds we booked the Hotel Wailea for next December. Glad to hear you liked the hotel. Is it true that they have a shuttle to the beach and complementary beach chairs?
Yes they had a shuttle on demand to the beach and to the Wailea mall.

The beach chairs and stuff are available from the Wailea Resort, after the shuttle drops you off at the beach.

While there is a difference in the quality of chairs for guests of the Wailea resort and Hotel Wailea - I think its all good. But we didnt really spend much time on that beach in particular.
Old Feb 2, 2011, 2:47 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
A great place to eat is Nick's Fishmarket at Kea Lani.. also, Four Season's Spago's.. Pre-fixe menu before 6 pm and after 8:30 pm is only $50 pp last time we were there. This will half price your bill.

Wailea Shops has the Ruth's Chris Steak House. Sitting down before 5 pm, and you will get to do their Prime Time.. so for $40 to $50 you get a steak, side, and dessert.^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.