FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hawaii (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hawaii-435/)
-   -   OGG taxi at 10pm? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hawaii/1154299-ogg-taxi-10pm.html)

adgtravel Nov 29, 2010 7:48 pm

OGG taxi at 10pm?

We are arriving at OGG around 10pm, if all flights are on time! That is 3am back home for us, so we will be extremely tired! Are there always taxis at the airport that time of night? I have a car rented at airport, and also a car at hotel (Grand Wailea) the next day for pickup. I am trying to decide which way would be better. Its a little more expensive at hotel because we would have to taxi there, and added charge to drop at airport, but the 3am drive concerns me! Does anyone know how late taxis are available at OGG? Thanks!

dhuey Nov 30, 2010 7:00 pm

I can't tell you whether taxis would be available, but I'd think it's very likely they will be. Still, if your car rental desk is open that late, I'd just rent at the airport. It's not a long drive to the GW and there will be very little traffic -- you can muster up the energy to do it safely.

slippahs Dec 1, 2010 6:09 pm

Wirelessly posted (iPhone-ETOPS: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Originally Posted by dhuey
I can't tell you whether taxis would be available, but I'd think it's very likely they will be. Still, if your car rental desk is open that late, I'd just rent at the airport. It's not a long drive to the GW and there will be very little traffic -- you can muster up the energy to do it safely.

Agreed. Although taxis should be available at that hour at OGG.

philemer Dec 1, 2010 6:34 pm

It's only a 20-25 min. drive. Easy-squeezee. :) I'm sure the car rental offices will be open at 10PM also.

slippahs Dec 2, 2010 1:38 am

Wirelessly posted (iPhone-ETOPS: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Originally Posted by philemer
It's only a 20-25 min. drive. Easy-squeezee. :) I'm sure the car rental offices will be open at 10PM also.

For sure. I've returned a car to Budget at OGG around 11 pm. Though I think that was close to closing.

To the OP, why not just see how you feel when you arrive into OGG? Too tired, take a cab. Feeling a little adventerous, get the car.

Recreation Dec 11, 2010 2:48 pm

It's not a big deal to get a cab. It'll probably be more expensive than renting a car (especially given that you usually get a price break for weekly rentals), and it is a really easy drive, but I have to admit that when we arrived in Waikiki at 8pm one year, we were pretty delirious by the time we collapsed into bed.

It's also a shame to spend a few hundred bucks a night on a hotel room when all you're going to do is sleep in the room and not enjoy the resort.

Ancien Maestro Dec 11, 2010 8:47 pm

Car rentals will generally wait until the last flight that's listed on their roster. We've arrived after midnite and car rental place was waiting for us. I would do a reservation, list your flight # and time, and you will have a little peace of mind.

mstraveler Dec 20, 2010 11:36 pm

The real consideration for me would be whether it is a status resrevation like Hertz Gold etc. where you can just have your maps ready and get in the car and go. If you have to do the whole line up at the desk routine, I would take the cab and hassle with it the next day after a good night of sleep. There are few perks better than the rental car levels where the car is waiting and you by-pass the desk clerks (the lines, the waivers, the upsells etc. etc.), IMHO.