Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Hawaii
Reload this Page >

Hawaii Properties Hyatt vs Marriott (kauai and maui)

Old Oct 20, 10, 10:34 am
wpj
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP 3.2MM, Hyatt Courtesy Card/Diamond, Hertz #1 Gold

I have points and status in both worlds but since my activity in Hyatt's is higher I post here.

anybody stayed in marriott and hyatt properties in maui / kauai that can provide some information about differences in this properties?

I've been reading the reviews of all hotels but Im interested in anybody that stayed in both that can contribute with some marriott vs hyatt comparisson.

thanks.
Old Oct 20, 10, 1:48 pm

Aside from Hyatts being much better properties to begin with, I recall that Marriotts do not really offer Plat benefits at resorts while your courtesy card should certainly take care of a thing or two at Hyatts

IMO there is really no comparison. Perhaps other folks with MR status can chime in.
Old Oct 20, 10, 2:40 pm
wpj
Original Poster

After begging 2 days I was upgraded to a suite in JW Marriott Puket as Platinum, anyways yes.. ur right in general when there are Hyatt is where I choose to stay. Just wondering if there's any exceptions in Hawaii.

thanks !

Originally Posted by azepine00 View Post
Aside from Hyatts being much better properties to begin with, I recall that Marriotts do not really offer Plat benefits at resorts while your courtesy card should certainly take care of a thing or two at Hyatts

IMO there is really no comparison. Perhaps other folks with MR status can chime in.
Old Oct 20, 10, 5:40 pm
nnn

Programs: All-Around Kettle
GH Kauai is a quality resort. I haven't been to the Kauai Marriott (so not really qualified to answer), but I can't imagine it's as nice as the GH. I can't speak for Maui, as we stay at the FS, which, while not quite at the level of FS Hualalai, is certainly nicer than the GH Kauai.
Old Oct 20, 10, 6:14 pm

Kauai... Hyatt's the way to go.
Marriott has been expanding their inventory to timeshares at the LIH location and Poipu is ONLY timeshare. Marriott beach will have day folks from the cruise ships using the beach (not terribly scenic) and pool is OK. We've stayed once at Marriott and three times at Hyatt...when we return to Kauai we'll only consider Hyatt of the two chains, though we usually head north to Princeville for part of our holiday.
Old Oct 20, 10, 7:45 pm
AMA

Agree that Hyatt on Kauai is a nicer place. However, what I really -do- like about the Marriott in LIH is that it's literally < 5 minutes from the airport, while the Hyatt takes quite a bit longer to get to. Logistically, the MH is great. Not to mention if you drive around the island the other direction, you end up north in Princeville, which is worth the effort.

And, the small bay where the Marriott lies if quite nice.

I suppose if you can swing a suite or nice view, the Marriott is worth considering.

The only times I've stayed at the Marriott(several times), I was in the timeshare units, which are literally beach front, with killer views & breezes. Quite enjoyable, actually. However, those days are probably over for me, as I managed to sell my timeshare there a couple of years ago...
Old Oct 21, 10, 5:29 am

regarding Maui:

I've stayed at both, but that was a while ago. Both are great properties and they are literally right next to each other. You said you read the reviews, not sure what else I can tell you that the reviews don't tell you. ok, maybe this? The Marriott is all timeshare now, I believe, isn't it? Both are family oriented resorts. Neither one has a very wide beach, depending on the time of year. Both have nice pools. Both will have lots of kids. Both are on Kanaapali Beach. ...

-David

Last edited by LIH Prem; Oct 22, 10 at 12:43 am Reason: misread the OP.
Old Oct 21, 10, 12:08 pm
nnn

Programs: All-Around Kettle
Originally Posted by LIH Prem View Post
The Marriott is all timeshare now, I believe, isn't it? Both are family oriented resorts. Neither one has a very wide beach, depending on the time of year. Both have nice pools. Both will have lots of kids. Both are on Kanaapali Beach. ...
There's also a regular Marriott on Wailea Beach in Maui, next to the Grand Wailea. This is separate from the Kaanapali timeshare location.

http://www.marriott.com/hotels/trave...esort-and-spa/
Old Oct 21, 10, 6:21 pm

Programs: Hyatt Explorist ex-Diamond; Marriott Platinum Life; Hilton, AA, United ex-status
Kids or no kids on the trip?

Prefer beach or pool?

Like dining out or not, also if you do high end or fast food?

I take it first trip? Do you expect to return frequently or one and done?
Old Oct 21, 10, 6:46 pm

Originally Posted by nnn View Post
There's also a regular Marriott on Wailea Beach in Maui, next to the Grand Wailea. This is separate from the Kaanapali timeshare location.

http://www.marriott.com/hotels/trave...esort-and-spa/
Yeah, I forgot about that one. I haven't stayed at that one and assumed OP was talking about the other one. The one in Wailea is supposed to be nice.

-David
Old Oct 21, 10, 6:57 pm

Programs: Qantas Platinum, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist
We will be visiting Kauai for the first time early next year so have no knowledge of hotels there but we have stayed at the Hyatt Maui for several years in a row now.
Although that hotel is a little dated, we still LOVE it!
But now that Ritz Carlton is under the umbrella of Marriott, could you use your points there?
I find the Ritz Carlton a little cold and stuffy....but that is just me!
But it is a nice property.
Old Oct 21, 10, 9:40 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP
I haven't stayed at the Marriott in Kauai, but I have been at the Hyatt while my friends were at the Marriott at the same time. We both hold the highest status in each of the programs, and we spent time in each other's hotels. I thought the Hyatt was much nicer, and my friends also thought the same way. They really did seem quite jealous of the diamond treatment we got at the Hyatt (the lounge, spa, etc)
Old Oct 21, 10, 9:54 pm
wpj
Original Poster

1 kid.. 11 yr.
girlfriend like beach I prefer pool but really don't care..
like dining out specially out of hotel if possible.
no high end and no fast food, something in between. if nothing is available we can do both.

I've been all over the place but never been to hawaii.. I hear only good things about it .. let's see if I return.. but normally I try to visit new places instead of repeating .. so answering your question I think will be a one time thing at least to this islands. LIH and OGG.

I thought nothing will compare to turks and caicos until I went to phi phi islands in thailand.. so who knows.

Originally Posted by jayer View Post
Kids or no kids on the trip?

Prefer beach or pool?

Like dining out or not, also if you do high end or fast food?

I take it first trip? Do you expect to return frequently or one and done?
Old Oct 21, 10, 9:55 pm
wpj
Original Poster

actually the only one avail with points is the regular marriott.. no timeshare so that's the one I want to compare.

thanks !

Originally Posted by LIH Prem View Post
Yeah, I forgot about that one. I haven't stayed at that one and assumed OP was talking about the other one. The one in Wailea is supposed to be nice.

-David
Old Oct 21, 10, 9:58 pm
wpj
Original Poster

that's what I wanted to hear.. and I have courtesy card in hyatt so that will beat any platinum marriott treatment.

but.. I would like also to burn my marriott points sometime before my platinum thing expires !!!

and keep the hyatt ones maybe for park hyatts that are at the same rate of this HI properties..

what a dilemma !

Originally Posted by srodr View Post
I haven't stayed at the Marriott in Kauai, but I have been at the Hyatt while my friends were at the Marriott at the same time. We both hold the highest status in each of the programs, and we spent time in each other's hotels. I thought the Hyatt was much nicer, and my friends also thought the same way. They really did seem quite jealous of the diamond treatment we got at the Hyatt (the lounge, spa, etc)

Search this Thread