Wiki Posts
Search

Best place to stock up on beer in Honolulu

Search this Thread

Old Sep 20, 2010, 6:22 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt Diamond+, Alaska Airlines MVP, Priority Club Platinum
Best place to stock up on beer in Honolulu

I am not convinced that Costco will have much beyond Kona Longboard so I am wondering the best places to stock up on beer in advance. Maybe two cases. I will have a car. Looking for some of the better local brands such a Maui Porter, etc. If Costco has it than great!
Might just have to stick with $9 six packs to get what I want but would rather not.
Old Sep 22, 2010, 4:21 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, MR Gold, Avis Pref
I'm no expert but I did do a long stay in HNL recently

I went to Safeway, W-M and Sams and found their prices were high even considering the premium I expected to pay in HNL

That said and done,it was cheaper than the ABC store

What really got me is the extra fees you pay on beverages. On a case I paid another $1.44 in fees or deposits, not sure what it was so add that on to the price

as for selection, those places will have a decent selection but if you are looking to select from every microbrewery on the planet then you are SOL at least at the places above

So to answer your question, be prepared to pay your $9 per six pack especially for the non-generic (Bud) type of beers; even for Bud you will pay in the $14++ range for a 12 pack
Old Sep 22, 2010, 1:51 pm

If stuck on Waikiki, you might want to check out the mini supermarket Food Pantry at 2370 Kuhio which is associated with the Foodland supermarkets. As for the high end brews that they have, I am of no help being a $6.99/12 pack Milwaukee's Best guy. I do recall they have some rather expensive champagnes. This coupled with the fact they do have a large selection of beer, they must have some high end product. Aloha!

Last edited by KenfromDE; Sep 25, 2010 at 10:51 pm
Old Sep 24, 2010, 9:44 pm

Programs: Platinum
I'm not sure if this is the same store from a few years ago, but you might want to check it out. It had a decent selection for Hawaii (probably not cheap). It's at the Ward Warehouse, Liquor Collection

Don't forget sales at Long's Drugs!

Last edited by frankmu; Sep 24, 2010 at 9:46 pm Reason: added Long's Drugs
Old Sep 25, 2010, 7:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Food Pantry on Kuhio has a large selection of more off the beaten path brews including local micros and Asians. They also sell by the bottle which will lead to an adventure.
Old Sep 25, 2010, 8:05 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Foodland.
Old Sep 25, 2010, 9:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
Originally Posted by westcoastman
I am not convinced that Costco will have much beyond Kona Longboard so I am wondering the best places to stock up on beer in advance. Maybe two cases. I will have a car. Looking for some of the better local brands such a Maui Porter, etc. If Costco has it than great!
Might just have to stick with $9 six packs to get what I want but would rather not.
Costcos in HI have a decent selection of beers. Don't remember seeing anything from Maui Brewing though. For craft beers also check Longs/CVS Drugs.

HI has a deposit fee on cans & bottles of .05 I believe.
Old Sep 27, 2010, 12:57 pm

Programs: AA: PPro, 4MM; HH: Lifetime Diamond; MAR Life Titanium Hertz: Prez Circle
You might also want to try Whole Foods.
Old Sep 29, 2010, 12:07 pm

Programs: AS MVPG
costco!
Old Oct 1, 2010, 11:17 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, MR Gold, Avis Pref
Originally Posted by philemer
Costcos in HI have a decent selection of beers. Don't remember seeing anything from Maui Brewing though. For craft beers also check Longs/CVS Drugs.

there is a tax on top of this deposit fee too
Old Oct 1, 2010, 1:29 pm

Lots of locations to get your nickle back. Check the web. Reynolds runs one every day next to the Hardrock Cafe! Or in our hotel, the staff uses it for their Christmas party.

Last edited by KenfromDE; Oct 1, 2010 at 5:10 pm
Old Oct 1, 2010, 4:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
Originally Posted by KenfromDE
Or in our hotel, the staff uses it for their Christmas party.
I like that idea a lot. Those folks don't get paid a huge wage.

Here's a list of recycle spots on Oahu: http://www.hi5deposit.com/support/oahucenters.pdf
Old Oct 8, 2010, 8:39 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AK Gold 75K, etc. etc.
Not sure what neighborhood you will be in, but Tamura's has great selection of beer, wine and liquor (and great pupus too)--prices are reasonable..

http://www.tamurasfinewine.com/
Old Oct 8, 2010, 8:46 pm

Programs: Platinum
Originally Posted by mikel51
Not sure what neighborhood you will be in, but Tamura's has great selection of beer, wine and liquor (and great pupus too)--prices are reasonable..

http://www.tamurasfinewine.com/
Thanks for the link! I'll have to stop by the Kaimuki store the next time i'm back. I've driven by it lots of times, but the parking really sucks around there.
Old Oct 9, 2010, 2:13 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by philemer

No Maui brewing that I've seen...

They do have a Kona Brewing Company sampler... which amazingly we had some in ANC this year so I picked up a case.

Some of the more interesting brews they seem to have are from Japan, and other far east destinations (always wanted to try some Sake from there too )

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.