Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Hawaii
Reload this Page >

Flying OUT of Hawaii Holiday Challenge

Old Sep 20, 10, 2:33 am
Original Poster

Hi everyone!

Hoping to tap the collective wizards of travel. Most people seem to be flying into HNL but I need advice on flying out of the islands...

I live in Honolulu (lucky me!) and have 3 weeks of vacation coming up between Nov - Dec. Hoping to fly out to the Midwest (specifically Milwaukee) on Nov 23 (2 days before Thanksgiving) and then a few more flights: Milwaukee - Minneapolis - Reno. We want to drive to SF then fly SFO - Las Vegas and Vegas back to HNL around Dec 15.

Any idea the best way to coordinate this or should I just search Kayak for all 1 way tickets?? Are there any Round-the-US tickets for US residents?

Thank you all! Any advice would be appreciated!
Old Sep 20, 10, 8:55 am

Programs: AA Plat, Hilton Diamond
At the very least, I would look at two tickets...one is HNL-LAS-HNL. Then LAS-Milwaukeee-etc.
Old Sep 20, 10, 1:03 pm

Originally Posted by Julian7 View Post
Nov 23 (2 days before Thanksgiving)
This is among the busiest travel days of the year. If you are looking for bargains, I would suggest being flexible with that date if possible.

Also recommend HNL-LAS and then separate tkts for the rest. Go to the Mileage Run forum -- lots of promos out of LAS right now.

Good luck.
Old Sep 25, 10, 2:13 am

Programs: NWA Worldperks, AA Advantage, United Mileage Plus
The thing about flying out to Vegas from HNL is that Las Vegas is a VERY popular vacation spot for the locals out here. Therefore, the fare is expensive especially during the time period you hope to travel.

Wouldn't it be better if you substituted either SFO/OAK/PDX/SEA as a roundtrip flight and then flew from there to Milwaukee, MSP etc? Are your dates fixed? I think airfares might be a bit cheaper on Nov 22 if you fly out on that day instead of the 23?
Old Sep 25, 10, 3:28 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the comments!
Vacation moved to first 2 weeks of December. We'll be able to avoid the Thanksgiving tickets, but hopefully can make it back before the Christmas crowd makes its way to the islands! Looking for flights via Las Vegas since that will be our final stop before heading back to HNL.
Old Sep 25, 10, 9:21 am
Moderator Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: AS MVP Gold, Honors Diamond
December 15 is usually the magic day when fares rise (I've seen them quintuple compared to earlier in the month).
Old Oct 5, 10, 7:07 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
I would imagine flyers coming into the islands and not coming off around thanksgiving. Travelling against the grain, its surprising that Hawaiians would get dinged a high fare. Definitely check out the one way flights.

December 15th, is the magical number as I booked a smoking deal on that date from Calgary to Orlando that you wouldn't normally see during even low season.
Old Oct 5, 10, 11:29 pm
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Location: Honolulu, Hawaiʻi [+MKK4 EBBER R577 EDSEL R577 ELKEY EXERT]
Originally Posted by Ancien Maestro View Post
I would imagine flyers coming into the islands and not coming off around thanksgiving. Travelling against the grain, its surprising that Hawaiians would get dinged a high fare. Definitely check out the one way flights.

December 15th, is the magical number as I booked a smoking deal on that date from Calgary to Orlando that you wouldn't normally see during even low season.
By the way, Hawaiians generally refers to the native Hawaiian people. I think you meant Hawaii residents or kama`aina?

Search this Thread