Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Hawaii
Reload this Page >

1st trip to Oahu 1/4/11 - 1/9/11

1st trip to Oahu 1/4/11 - 1/9/11

Old Sep 7, 2010, 8:27 pm

Originally Posted by tednugent(no relation)
Maybe hike Stairway to Heaven (also called Haiku Steps or 10,000 Stairs; not for the faint hearted).
Never could find these; I think I was close but was getting the eye from the neighbors so I left the area.

I didn't want to climb, but I did want to photograph them. Any pointers for the next time I go?

To the OP - I'd get a car. There's too much to be seen on the island to be stuck waiting for a slow bus. I actually love driving in Hawaii - go slow and drink it all in.

Weather will be just fine, but be aware that this includes showers, sometimes heavy. If you're looking for sun, you can almost always get it on the west side of the island. As others have noted, you can be overcast and rainy on one side yet perfectly sunny and blue skies on the other. That time of year you'll want to check out the beaches on the north shore, you may catch some big time surfing action or even a tournament.

I would be extremely hesitant to leave anything anywhere at any time, sadly enough. I love Hawaii, been there many times and I'll be back, but property crime exists there to a pretty high extent.

Last edited by smithrh; Sep 7, 2010 at 8:28 pm Reason: quoting borken again
Old Sep 7, 2010, 10:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Location: Honolulu, Hawaiʻi [+MKK4 EBBER R577 EDSEL R577 ELKEY EXERT]
Maybe hike Stairway to Heaven (also called Haiku Steps or 10,000 Stairs; not for the faint hearted).
Eat, drink, relax, repeat.
Hey Ted, FYI, hiking Stairway to Heaven requires trespassing on private property. Here's an update on why one probably wants to avoid it (because you'll likely be turned around):

http://www.staradvertiser.com/news/2...ss_issues.html
Old Sep 10, 2010, 2:44 am

Programs: Scorched earth and base metal in everything these days
Originally Posted by slippahs
Hey Ted, FYI, hiking Stairway to Heaven requires trespassing on private property. Here's an update on why one probably wants to avoid it (because you'll likely be turned around):

http://www.staradvertiser.com/news/2...ss_issues.html
Aloha slippahs!
Thanks for the link.
I knew most of the story, and this filled in the gaps.
My understanding is that there is a way to get there along the old road to the decommissioned power station, NOT through the neighborhood that causes all the concern. This may cross over some of the Kam School land mentioned.

I have taken this route and done the hike and chatted with the security guard afterward without incident (other than sore legs ).

Now, that said, it was not my intent to encourage trespassing or law breaking on this forum, so OP please disregard my original suggestion about the Haiku Stairs.

As far as encouraging public consumption of alcohol on a beach, Again, it is not my intention to encourage law breaking. I was simply referencing my own experience over 8 years here that if one minds one's own business, keeps an adult beverage under wraps (paper bag, coozie, whatever), isn't a jerk and isn't flagrant about it, it might be possible to enjoy a plate lunch, a sunset and a cold one in peace.

This has worked for me personally in Waikiki, Kailua, Waimea, Sunset, Pupukea, Makaha, Ewa, Kamaole 3, Kaanapali, Makena, Kapaa, Princeville and Kona. My risk tolerance may be higher than some, but I think I'm pretty run-of-the-mill in that regard.

But again, it is not my intent to encourage law breaking on this forum, so OP please disregard my original suggestion about the a beer at sunset as well.
Old Sep 21, 2010, 1:39 pm
OFV
Original Poster

Programs: AA Plt, Marriott Gold, HH Gold
Aloha slippahs!
Thanks for the link.
I knew most of the story, and this filled in the gaps.
My understanding is that there is a way to get there along the old road to the decommissioned power station, NOT through the neighborhood that causes all the concern. This may cross over some of the Kam School land mentioned.

I have taken this route and done the hike and chatted with the security guard afterward without incident (other than sore legs ).

Now, that said, it was not my intent to encourage trespassing or law breaking on this forum, so OP please disregard my original suggestion about the Haiku Stairs.

As far as encouraging public consumption of alcohol on a beach, Again, it is not my intention to encourage law breaking. I was simply referencing my own experience over 8 years here that if one minds one's own business, keeps an adult beverage under wraps (paper bag, coozie, whatever), isn't a jerk and isn't flagrant about it, it might be possible to enjoy a plate lunch, a sunset and a cold one in peace.

This has worked for me personally in Waikiki, Kailua, Waimea, Sunset, Pupukea, Makaha, Ewa, Kamaole 3, Kaanapali, Makena, Kapaa, Princeville and Kona. My risk tolerance may be higher than some, but I think I'm pretty run-of-the-mill in that regard.

But again, it is not my intent to encourage law breaking on this forum, so OP please disregard my original suggestion about the a beer at sunset as well.

That's a bummer about the Haiku stairs...it sounded right up my alley. Thanks for the tips everyone...as I finalize my itinerary I'm sure I'll have more questions.

So, where is the best place to get a "mac" pie or macademia nut pancakes?
Old Sep 29, 2010, 12:13 pm

Programs: AS MVPG
as for food, research the hawaii food thread in this forum. dont eat in waikiki its overpriced and most food isnt that great. if you want, pm me and i can send you reccomendations on restaurants.
Old Oct 3, 2010, 6:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Location: Honolulu, Hawaiʻi [+MKK4 EBBER R577 EDSEL R577 ELKEY EXERT]
Originally Posted by OFV
That's a bummer about the Haiku stairs...it sounded right up my alley. Thanks for the tips everyone...as I finalize my itinerary I'm sure I'll have more questions.

So, where is the best place to get a "mac" pie or macademia nut pancakes?
Good pancakes, if you're willing to drive: Boots & Kimos in Kailua.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.