Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Hawaii
Reload this Page >

Big Rate Jump on Car rentals

Old Jul 9, 2010, 10:04 am
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan, Delta SkyMiles, Fairmont President's Club ,Marriott Rewards,

I probably remember hearing about this new tax/fee some months ago....but just checked my car reservations for a couple of upcoming trips and the new"Facility Fee" of $4.50/per day really adds up... Nearly $100 extra on a 3 week trip. it never seems to end.
Anyone know when this fee comes into effect? No way around it I suspect?
KOA rentals.
Need to fall upon a BIG discount code at this point.
Old Jul 9, 2010, 7:03 pm

Programs: UA-Gold, 1MM, Marriott Gold, Global Entry
The high rates have arrived. Tax is one issue, but the base rates have skyrocketed. My full size car in Kauai [Alamo] this year; began Jan 2010 $350/week to June 2010 $427/week, to this Oct. 2010 $520/week.

I canceled the Oct 2010. Booked full size Hotwire $182.09/ wk, got Hertz. Pays to shop around!
Old Jul 10, 2010, 9:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
If things keep going this way, it's going to be less expensive to use cabs for most short trips and rent a car by the day when wanted.
Old Jul 10, 2010, 9:37 am
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Our family's minivan rental would have been $1,500+ if the code I used in year's past hadn't worked.. I got the rental for approximately $850 for 15 nights for the Big Island, and I thought that was steep. Minivans are in high demand because most company's request for them when sending employees on an excursion. For 7 nights Maui, it was still around approximately $500 for the mini van.. My wife insists on a mini van.. a convertible would be cheaper lol.
Old Jul 12, 2010, 5:42 am

Programs: OnePass
Originally Posted by Executrip
I probably remember hearing about this new tax/fee some months ago....but just checked my car reservations for a couple of upcoming trips and the new"Facility Fee" of $4.50/per day really adds up... Nearly $100 extra on a 3 week trip. it never seems to end.
Anyone know when this fee comes into effect? No way around it I suspect?
KOA rentals.
Need to fall upon a BIG discount code at this point.
According to this article, the fee starts September 2010 at multiple Hawaii airports.

http://www.staradvertiser.com/busine...s_to_rise.html

Interesting that your reservation is at KOA, since the article only mentions HNL, LIH, OGG, and ITO.

For HNL rentals, many of the rental agencies have locations in and near Waikiki that won't charge the fee.
Old Jul 12, 2010, 7:56 am
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan, Delta SkyMiles, Fairmont President's Club ,Marriott Rewards,
Thanks for the article link! You would think that picking up at KOA would be exempt given it is not one of the 4 airports cited??
Could it be a fee at all Airports in the state to cover the improvements at those four?? Seems strange.
Perhaps the assessment of that fee on my reservation was done in error?
Good Luck to me getting around that one......
Old Jul 12, 2010, 3:48 pm

Yep, surprised me too. I checked and it seems that all airports in Hawaii with in-terminal car rentals are assessed the fee. I checked rentals at Molokai (MKK) and the fee is added there as well.

Kapalua, Maui (JHM) does not seem to have the fee since the rental agencies are "off-terminal".
Old Jul 12, 2010, 9:28 pm

Another reason to stay in Waikiki w/o car and use TheBus!
Old Jul 13, 2010, 6:14 am

TheBus was not spared the local government's recent tax hike spree.

Effective July 1, 2010, TheBus fare went up from $2.25 to $2.50.

Also on July 1, the last bump up in the Hawaii hotel tax went into effect, bringing it to 9.25% (on top of the 4.5% excise tax).

Bring your wallet.
Old Jul 13, 2010, 7:20 am

Originally Posted by anthonyanthony
TheBus was not spared the local government's recent tax hike spree.......TheBus fare went up from $2.25 to $2.50.............
The GOOD news is the senior fare is still $1.00.
Old Jul 13, 2010, 7:34 am

Programs: UA-Gold, 1MM, Marriott Gold, Global Entry
Originally Posted by KenfromDE
The GOOD news is the senior fare is still $1.00.
+1

and one can get a transfer good for 2 hours..most drivers don't look at the time, so essentially RT for a buck with medicare card or TheBus Senior I.D.
Old Jul 18, 2010, 2:22 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E

Sad to see the rates go up... it was a good deal at $1/day - always amazed at how low taxes were... even in HNL for rental cars.

Funny @ this part:

Similar consolidated rental car facilities exist at mainland airports ranging from Anchorage, Alaska, to Fort Lauderdale, Fla. Costs vary widely and include $170 million spent in Las Vegas and a $419 million five-story facility at the Seattle-Tacoma airport.
We do have a pretty nice & modern facility in ANC
Old Jul 21, 2010, 10:08 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Bus fares up $0.25.. killage. That's going to drive me back to paying for car rentals. Seriously, get a monthly pass or day passes and that'll save $$$.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.