Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Help me plan my birthday celebration in Hawaii

Search this Thread

Old May 17, 2010, 4:25 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Help me plan my birthday celebration in Hawaii

Mr. Kipper's job sent him to Honolulu for a month. I know, tough job, right? My in-laws decided that they'd send me to visit him for my birthday, so I'm celebrating my birthday in Hawaii.

I'll arrive on a Thursday, spend the weekend, and we'll fly back together the following Thursday. Mr. Kipper will be working on Friday, Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday.

I'm looking for places I should go while he's at work, since he's not into the touristy thing. I think we're going to go to Pearl Harbor over the weekend since we both want to go there. He's agreed to go to a luau with me, but I need to know what luau we should go to, which ones we should skip. I think I want to go there the evening of my birthday, which happens to be a Sunday.

Basically, I'd like suggestions for specific places/things to do. I'll be limited to public transit while he's at work. One of my favorite things is coffee, so including that at least one day is always good.

Thanks!
Old May 17, 2010, 5:14 pm

Where are you staying?

Hotel, area of town?
Old May 17, 2010, 5:17 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1MM, Hyatt Plat, SPG Gold/SVN 3 Star Elite, ICG Plat Ambassador
Originally Posted by kipper
Mr. Kipper's job sent him to Honolulu for a month. I know, tough job, right? My in-laws decided that they'd send me to visit him for my birthday, so I'm celebrating my birthday in Hawaii.

I'll arrive on a Thursday, spend the weekend, and we'll fly back together the following Thursday. Mr. Kipper will be working on Friday, Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday.

I'm looking for places I should go while he's at work, since he's not into the touristy thing. I think we're going to go to Pearl Harbor over the weekend since we both want to go there. He's agreed to go to a luau with me, but I need to know what luau we should go to, which ones we should skip. I think I want to go there the evening of my birthday, which happens to be a Sunday.

Basically, I'd like suggestions for specific places/things to do. I'll be limited to public transit while he's at work. One of my favorite things is coffee, so including that at least one day is always good.

Thanks!
Old May 17, 2010, 5:19 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by smithrh
Where are you staying?

Hotel, area of town?
No hotel--apartments for them. Across from the Hilton Hawaiian Village.
Old May 17, 2010, 11:05 pm

Pick up the 3-day or 5-day Go Oahu card. You'll be able to get tickets to Germaines Luau as your bonus choice. You'll also be able to use it for the audio tour at the Arizona, to tour the Bowfin submarine and tour the battleship Missouri when you go to Pearl Harbor, which I recommend doing Saturday or Sunday so you can stop by the nearby Aloha Stadium Swap meet. You can use the GO card to take a circle island bus tour on a day you need to fill, and can rent a moped for four hours to leave the Waikiki area on another day (a $15 or so upcharge lets you keep the scooter for 24 hours.) Pop in on Sea Life Park for an hour or so while you have the scooter. Admission is also included.

Snorkeling at Hanauma Bay shouldn't be missed, might as well climb Diamond Head if it's your first trip. The Manoa Falls hike is not too far out of Honolulu of hiking/waterfalls is in your comfort zone. If it's *really* in your comfort zone I recommend the Likeke Falls or Maunawili Falls hike, or both. Between them, I prefer Likeke. Kapena Falls is just north of H1 on the Pali Highway, so also very close to the city, and only a 2 minute stroll from the highway. Paradise Cove is the other luau I would recommend, particularly if you don't get the GO card and aren't taking the included Germaine's admission. IMO, germaines has the better show and especially fire knife dancer, as well as better drink situation, both alcoholic and non. Paradise cove has better food and more to do before the stage show starts, canoe ride, lei making, etc. I compared the two on May 4th and 6th, respectively.
Old May 21, 2010, 3:08 pm

Programs: United 1K, American EXP & 3 Million Miler, Hyatt Globalist & Marriott Ambassador Elite
I might recommend dinner at Le Mer at Halekulani or Orchids, both at the Halekulani, wonderful food and service and not too far down the road from you.
Old May 21, 2010, 4:45 pm

Programs: AA: 2 MM
Make sure you have Lappert's Ice Cream in HHW. Some of the best ice cream this side of Paris. The mini chocolate peanut butter cup fudge swirl (or something like that) is to die for.
Old May 21, 2010, 7:46 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Enjoralas
Pick up the 3-day or 5-day Go Oahu card. You'll be able to get tickets to Germaines Luau as your bonus choice. You'll also be able to use it for the audio tour at the Arizona, to tour the Bowfin submarine and tour the battleship Missouri when you go to Pearl Harbor, which I recommend doing Saturday or Sunday so you can stop by the nearby Aloha Stadium Swap meet. You can use the GO card to take a circle island bus tour on a day you need to fill, and can rent a moped for four hours to leave the Waikiki area on another day (a $15 or so upcharge lets you keep the scooter for 24 hours.) Pop in on Sea Life Park for an hour or so while you have the scooter. Admission is also included.

Snorkeling at Hanauma Bay shouldn't be missed, might as well climb Diamond Head if it's your first trip. The Manoa Falls hike is not too far out of Honolulu of hiking/waterfalls is in your comfort zone. If it's *really* in your comfort zone I recommend the Likeke Falls or Maunawili Falls hike, or both. Between them, I prefer Likeke. Kapena Falls is just north of H1 on the Pali Highway, so also very close to the city, and only a 2 minute stroll from the highway. Paradise Cove is the other luau I would recommend, particularly if you don't get the GO card and aren't taking the included Germaine's admission. IMO, germaines has the better show and especially fire knife dancer, as well as better drink situation, both alcoholic and non. Paradise cove has better food and more to do before the stage show starts, canoe ride, lei making, etc. I compared the two on May 4th and 6th, respectively.
How much is the GO card? Can I order it now, or do I need to wait until I get there? A swap meet? Hmm, that sounds interesting. Perhaps both luaus would be nice.
Originally Posted by mktozd
I might recommend dinner at Le Mer at Halekulani or Orchids, both at the Halekulani, wonderful food and service and not too far down the road from you.
How much should we expect to spend at either?
Originally Posted by ILuvParis
Make sure you have Lappert's Ice Cream in HHW. Some of the best ice cream this side of Paris. The mini chocolate peanut butter cup fudge swirl (or something like that) is to die for.
Going to Hawaii for ice cream... LOL, somehow, I think Mr. Kipper will sigh and roll his eyes when I tell him I want to go there, but I think he'll go very willingly.
Old May 21, 2010, 8:13 pm

Going to Hawaii for ice cream... LOL, somehow, I think Mr. Kipper will sigh and roll his eyes when I tell him I want to go there, but I think he'll go very willingly.
You don't go to Hawaii FOR ice cream. But, you have ice cream while you're there! Then, while you're there, you might as well have the best, particularly since its across the street!

AND, they have Ice Cream Club cards. Six purchases (even a single scoop) gets you a free treat. And the treat can be any of their most extravagant creations! We have six complete punch cards here. It just seems so decadent to get anything more than a scoop! Some night, we'll skip dinner and just pig out with three scoops, hot fudge, whipped cream and nuts!

BTW, they also have great cinnamon buns (and other bakery items) but that may just be here on Kauai, since they make everything down the road from here.

(Can you tell I'm a fan?)
Old May 22, 2010, 7:52 am
Original Poster

You don't go to Hawaii FOR ice cream. But, you have ice cream while you're there! Then, while you're there, you might as well have the best, particularly since its across the street!

AND, they have Ice Cream Club cards. Six purchases (even a single scoop) gets you a free treat. And the treat can be any of their most extravagant creations! We have six complete punch cards here. It just seems so decadent to get anything more than a scoop! Some night, we'll skip dinner and just pig out with three scoops, hot fudge, whipped cream and nuts!

BTW, they also have great cinnamon buns (and other bakery items) but that may just be here on Kauai, since they make everything down the road from here.

(Can you tell I'm a fan?)
So I should aim to have that for lunch every day while Mr. Kipper is at work, so I can fill a card?
Old May 22, 2010, 1:10 pm

So I should aim to have that for lunch every day while Mr. Kipper is at work, so I can fill a card?
Or take him with you three evenings. Then, the big treat is for your lunch alone.
Old May 22, 2010, 1:34 pm
Original Poster

Or take him with you three evenings. Then, the big treat is for your lunch alone.
That probably works better.
Old May 23, 2010, 1:13 am

How much should we expect to spend at either?
At La Mer, about $300 for a good dinner and a couple of decent glasses of wine, not including gratuity of course.
Old May 23, 2010, 8:06 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by FTraveler
At La Mer, about $300 for a good dinner and a couple of decent glasses of wine, not including gratuity of course.
That's probably more than I care to spend on dinner for a night. While I'm sure it's probably very wonderful, I'm not into wine, and really, there's something to be said about more inexpensive meals, IMO.
Old May 23, 2010, 8:22 pm

That's probably more than I care to spend on dinner for a night. While I'm sure it's probably very wonderful, I'm not into wine, and really, there's something to be said about more inexpensive meals, IMO.
For a great inexpensive meal, try Side Street Inn. One order of pork chops and fried rice and the two of you will be quite happy and probably need a doggy bag.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.