Reload this Page >

Long layover in LIH

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Long layover in LIH

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17, 2010, 10:37 am

Programs: Aeroplan, Delta SkyMiles, Fairmont President's Club ,Marriott Rewards,
I have always marvelled at Hamura's how the Locals would mix up a dipping sauce for the chicken sticks (BBQ)......In their little dish... a squirt of hot mustard....dash of Hotsauce, then a dash of Shoyu (Soya Sauce). Break apart the wooden chopsticks....roll together in your hands to smoothen and Voila....blended together with the sticks...ready for dipping.
I almost feel like I am there right now on one of those "Milking stools" right around that Formica counter. ( Good ole' days)....Watching the ladies fill the various bowls... and one heading my way.
Old Apr 19, 2010, 1:33 pm

Programs: UA MM 1K; HA Pualani Gold, SWA A-List; Aloha Silver (RIP); HH Gold
Originally Posted by UKdiver
Hamura's Saimin^^^
+1
Old Aug 30, 2010, 12:02 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA lifetime Gold, United Gold, Marriott Gold, IHG Spire, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by ILuvParis
No priority security line. You don't really have time to do too much. You could take a cab over to the Marriott - about two miles from the airport. You could hang at the beach there (it's pretty) and have a meal at Duke's, which is adjacent to the beach/Marriott.

Unfortunately, it's not quite enough time to do any serious sight seeing or activities.
I just got back from my trip. I had a bit of a delay, so I figured that I would try the Marriott. They have a prompt, free shuttle. The place was quite dead overall in the early evening (the sun was not even down yet), but they had Duke's and another restaurant open. I had a great fish dinner at Duke's. I sat in the downstairs section, where there was a little more going on. The waitress said that my $16 fish dinner is the same as they served upstairs for $28. It was a nice little excursion before taking the red eye home.
Old Aug 30, 2010, 4:59 pm

Originally Posted by chrisphx
I just got back from my trip. I had a bit of a delay, so I figured that I would try the Marriott. They have a prompt, free shuttle. The place was quite dead overall in the early evening (the sun was not even down yet), but they had Duke's and another restaurant open. I had a great fish dinner at Duke's. I sat in the downstairs section, where there was a little more going on. The waitress said that my $16 fish dinner is the same as they served upstairs for $28. It was a nice little excursion before taking the red eye home.
Another vote for Duke's. We just stopped there the other evening before boarding our late flt back home. We sat upstairs, but still ordered the fish sandwich, others with us ordered "dinners." For location, food, etc., it certainly seems like the best option anywhere close to the airport, and it is less than 5 mins away. The place gets packed. Lots of locals, and tourists. Aloha.
Old Aug 31, 2010, 9:58 am

Programs: AC*SE, SPG Gold, HH D
Having just gotten back from a trip to LIH, a few warnings:

- lines at LIH can be EXTREMELY slow. You're in line behind a ton of families with kids in strollers and all the hassle that entails. You might get lucky, but that was my experience. HI is definitely a family vacation destination
- taxis are also slow. I've called and waited for up to half an hour for one at the Marriott. You shouldn't have trouble getting one from the airport, but make sure you arrange for a pick up at the same time, or you will end up waiting.

Having said that, if you can squeeze it in Duke's is fantastic. Try both kinds of mai tais! I skipped the hula pie (it really didn't appeal to me) but the food and the view are great here.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.