FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hawaii (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hawaii-435/)
-   -   2 days in honolulu (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hawaii/1070546-2-days-honolulu.html)

jason8612 Apr 4, 2010 12:56 am

Wirelessly posted (Blackberry 9700: Opera/9.80 (J2ME/MIDP; Opera Mini/5.0.18832/1114; U; en) Presto/2.4.15)

I'm in honolulu - waikiki from april 8th evening till the 11th. (If anyone wants to meet up for drinks/dinner I'm always up for it)
On the 8th not much I can do as I get into honolulu around 5pm. Maybe the polynesian center?
The 10th I reserved a car to go driving - but not sure where. North shore?
That's leaves the 9th. I was either thinking scuba diving, or do something else one can recommend ( lost tour, pearl harbour, etc_

relativelynormal Apr 4, 2010 3:13 am

Originally Posted by jason8612 (Post 13705587)
Wirelessly posted (Blackberry 9700: Opera/9.80 (J2ME/MIDP; Opera Mini/5.0.18832/1114; U; en) Presto/2.4.15)

I'm in honolulu - waikiki from april 8th evening till the 11th. (If anyone wants to meet up for drinks/dinner I'm always up for it)
On the 8th not much I can do as I get into honolulu around 5pm. Maybe the polynesian center?
That's leaves the 9th. I was either thinking scuba diving, or do something else one can recommend ( lost tour, pearl harbour, etc_

Avoid doing the Polynesian Center on a short time schedule. You'll probably have a little jetlag and getting to the PCC takes a little time. Better option is to just kick back and relax, and have a nice dinner and recharge your batteries after the long flight.

The ninth--Pearl Harbor is a good option and wouldn't take the entire day so that would leave you free to do other stuff. Hanauma Bay maybe? A diamond head hike is another option. Actually this one is pretty open to whatever you feel like doing. A trip into Chinatown is another suggestion.

The tenth--How about just driving around the entire island? Oahu isn't that big and you could do this in a day. You should get out of Honolulu just to see the other parts of the island though.

jason8612 Apr 4, 2010 4:39 pm

How's scuba diving there? That's the difficult problem of the week - diving or land siteseeing? :)

Hertz4me Apr 4, 2010 6:01 pm

skydiving my fellow Pole :) http://www.hawaiiskydiving.com/

at $150 a bargain

jason8612 Apr 4, 2010 6:21 pm

No way! I'm afraid of heights

halothane Apr 4, 2010 7:55 pm

When I go to Waikiki it is generally without any ideas or itinerary. I do whatever I feel like when I wake up.

I consume lots of poke.
Enjoy the weather, the sun, the sand, the people, and the food!

North shore is always fun. Definitely go around for a drive on the island if you've never been.

I always have a reflexology session when I visit Honolulu at a little hole in the wall joint.

tednugent(no relation) Apr 4, 2010 10:32 pm

Originally Posted by jason8612 (Post 13705587)

Aloha Jason,

Forget about PCC. It will take you at least 90 minutes to get to Laie from the airport during rush hour.

Instead just head straight to Waikiki, find yourself a bar on the beach, grab a cocktail and enjoy the sunset :cool:
My personal fave is the House without a Key at the Halekulani hotel.

For scuba, check out Reef Trekkers. They'll pick you up at the hotel, supply the equipment, and take you to some nice dives right there. Be sure to ask for the San Pedro or the YO257 dive, another personal fave to some good wrecks.

For the drive to the North Shore, stop in Haleiwa town and sightsee for a bit, check out the surf in Waimea Bay and enjoy the drive.
Stop at Buzz's steakhouse for dinner/drinks in Lanikai (order the fish, and bring cash, since they don't take credits cards), head home over the Pali and stop at the lookout if there's enough light left. Or skip Buzz's, make sure to see the Pali, and go into Chinatown for dinner/drinks.

Consider a surfing lesson or a Stand-up Paddle lesson.
SUP is loads of fun and very easy to learn. ^

HTH.
A hui hou,
Ted

MauiFan Apr 5, 2010 9:48 am

Dukes

The House without a Key is great...I would also recommend Dukes for great drinks, people watching, and musical entertainment.

I would also recommend a trip to Pearl Harbor if you have not been. Well worth it and something eveone should see.

Snorkel at Hounama (sp) bay is a great thing to do if you decide not to do the scuba dive. The snorkeling there is off the scale.

Enjoy!

tednugent(no relation) Apr 6, 2010 1:06 am

Originally Posted by MauiFan (Post 13712279)
The House without a Key is great...I would also recommend Dukes for great drinks, people watching, and musical entertainment.

I would also recommend a trip to Pearl Harbor if you have not been. Well worth it and something eveone should see.

Snorkel at Hounama (sp) bay is a great thing to do if you decide not to do the scuba dive. The snorkeling there is off the scale.

Enjoy!

+1 ^
Good advice here.

Advantage to Hanauma Bay is that folks on Mainland timezones will be up early already, so they can beat the crowds. :cool:

If you're a good swimmer, I advise folks to consider going outside the reef. Make sure you know whether the tide is coming in or going out (mostly so things don't get silty/murky, but also so you don't have to leap over coral heads :() and head out on the right side. Fun.

Doc Savage Apr 6, 2010 2:08 am

Originally Posted by jason8612 (Post 13708581)

How's scuba diving there? That's the difficult problem of the week - diving or land siteseeing? :)

There is a nice two tank dive up the Waianae coast, 1st on a sunken minesweeper, the Mahi, 2nd in lava tubes (Makaha Caverns) nearby. I think it runs this time of year.

I booked through these guys http://www.oahuscubadive.com/ and it was a professionally run outfit.

I always try to have 36 hrs between a dive and a flight.....

davesam12 Apr 6, 2010 8:04 am

Lost Hummer Tour

We did the "Lost" Hummer Tour for kicks and something different last year. It was fun! ^

jason8612 Apr 6, 2010 9:20 am

hmm if I go scuba diving, I will be back at 1230pm. Is there any afternoon tours to go on? Like to pearl harbor, or anything else? the lost 5hr one leaves at 1PM, so thats cutting it real close. The 2hr one leaves at 3pm, but from Kualoa Ranch..

KenfromDE Apr 6, 2010 11:14 am

Originally Posted by jason8612 (Post 13719090)
.... Is there any afternoon tours to go on? Like to pearl harbor........

You must do Pearl Harbor as early in the morning as possible!

Uh Oh! "FYI - Boat tours to the USS Arizona Memorial will be suspended April 5-14, 2010 due to construction near the boat dock."

From Page 5:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hawai...ns-thread.html

relativelynormal Apr 6, 2010 12:34 pm

Originally Posted by jason8612 (Post 13719090)
hmm if I go scuba diving, I will be back at 1230pm. Is there any afternoon tours to go on? Like to pearl harbor, or anything else? the lost 5hr one leaves at 1PM, so thats cutting it real close. The 2hr one leaves at 3pm, but from Kualoa Ranch..

If you're going scuba diving in Waianae it takes at least 40 minutes to go from Waianae to Honolulu (probably longer, closer to an hour). It's probably safer to go on the 3pm one.

Doc Savage Apr 6, 2010 2:35 pm

Originally Posted by KenfromDE (Post 13719968)
You must do Pearl Harbor as early in the morning as possible!

Uh Oh! "FYI - Boat tours to the USS Arizona Memorial will be suspended April 5-14, 2010 due to construction near the boat dock."

From Page 5:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hawai...ns-thread.html

Yeah, it is key to know that if you are not at Pearl Harbor well before the office opens, you will not get tickets for that day.