FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hawaii (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hawaii-435/)
-   -   Japanese Steakhouses (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hawaii/1063138-japanese-steakhouses.html)

jimjamkc Mar 15, 2010 12:03 am

Japanese Steakhouses

I am looking to take my father for a birthday at a Japanese steakhouse, while visiting Oahu. Are there any preferences/differences in Honolulu? I have found Kobe (eaten at one in Chicago before) and Tanaka of Tokyo.

Anyone have any thoughts of either of these or those?

Mahalo.....

Ancien Maestro Mar 15, 2010 10:42 pm

Sansei is good. Check out their early bird and late night specials!^

slippahs Mar 16, 2010 12:54 am

Originally Posted by Ancien Maestro (Post 13584026)
Sansei is good. Check out their early bird and late night specials!^

Only, Sansei isn't truly a steakhouse (although they do have a steak entree on the menu)--it's primarily a Japanese sushi restaurant. Perhaps you were thinking of DK's steakhouse, which is next door to Sansei?

As for the OP's question, I'm guessing based on your suggestions that you're thinking of teppanyaki? If so, both are almost the same in terms of food quality, and both are on the Entertainment Card, which makes for a good deal if you're looking for a cheaper dining option. You can also throw Benihana into that mix (@ the HHV), but it's not on the Entertainment Card.

If all you're looking for is a good piece of meat, there are better choices out there. If you want the dining "entertainment" that comes with Teppanyaki, then the three above are your choices.

jimjamkc Mar 16, 2010 7:36 am

Thanks...I was looking at the teppenyaki style of dining...And I have the Entertainment card, which is where I saw the first two options. I have taken my family to several of these types of places and they have always enjoyed the experience. I think my Dad will as well.

Thanks again.

Ancien Maestro Mar 16, 2010 8:37 pm

Originally Posted by slippahs (Post 13584383)
Only, Sansei isn't truly a steakhouse (although they do have a steak entree on the menu)--it's primarily a Japanese sushi restaurant. Perhaps you were thinking of DK's steakhouse, which is next door to Sansei?

As for the OP's question, I'm guessing based on your suggestions that you're thinking of teppanyaki? If so, both are almost the same in terms of food quality, and both are on the Entertainment Card, which makes for a good deal if you're looking for a cheaper dining option. You can also throw Benihana into that mix (@ the HHV), but it's not on the Entertainment Card.

If all you're looking for is a good piece of meat, there are better choices out there. If you want the dining "entertainment" that comes with Teppanyaki, then the three above are your choices.

Your opinion Slippahs.. Is it truly Japanese without the Sushi? I imagine that DK's got the sushi too, but with both restaurants neighboring each other, what is the main difference in their Jap dishes?

nishimark Mar 16, 2010 10:21 pm

Originally Posted by Ancien Maestro (Post 13590297)
Your opinion Slippahs.. Is it truly Japanese without the Sushi? I imagine that DK's got the sushi too, but with both restaurants neighboring each other, what is the main difference in their Jap dishes?

DK's is not Japanese. It's a steak house right next door to Sansei's in the same hotel. Rambling slightly off topic, I've eaten at DK's a couple times, both times had their featured dry aged steak. The first time, probably a couple of years ago, it was excellent. Sadly, last fall, it was not so great.

slippahs Mar 17, 2010 12:26 am

Btw as a part Japanese-American, I am quite offended by your use of the word Jap, Ancien Maestro.

As for Sansei. It is not a Japanese steakhouse, which is what the OP was asking for. You recommended a Japanese sushi restaurant that has steak as one entree on the menu. Not the same thing, and that's not really my opinion, it's more of a fact.

slippahs Mar 17, 2010 12:28 am

Sorry about the second post as the mobile website doesn't allow you to edit. But to respond to AM's question, no, DK does not serve sushi.

Ancien Maestro Mar 17, 2010 12:38 am

Originally Posted by slippahs (Post 13591257)
Btw as a part Japanese-American, I am quite offended by your use of the word Jap, Ancien Maestro.

As for Sansei. It is not a Japanese steakhouse, which is what the OP was asking for. You recommended a Japanese sushi restaurant that has steak as one entree on the menu. Not the same thing, and that's not really my opinion, it's more of a fact.

I apologize.. I'm full chinese, so yeah when people say derogatory comments, I feel the way you do.. So I apologize, definitely don't want to be offending other asians.;)

I'm talking to my fingers to type properly, because I've got lots of Japanese friends, and don't know wth happened to my typing.

Anyways, I guess from your opinion, there is no such thing as a Japanese Steakhouse per thread heading?

jimjamkc Mar 18, 2010 7:48 am

Thanks everyone. I booked Tanaka's, mainly because it was close to our hotel and is in the Entertainment book. Will try to report on how good it is next month, when we get back.