Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Hawaii
Reload this Page >

HNL for 3 days from OHIO!!!!! Need advice.

Old Feb 9, 10, 6:33 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Worldperks & Skymiles

Work sucks, weather in Ohio sucks even more, and I have Skymiles to use before switching and going to OnePass. 75,000 to be exact and I don't have a lot of cash to blow.

All my co-workers think I'm nuts but oh well I want to go to Hawaii for 3 days. Fly from Columbus to HNL via ATL and the A330 the 1st week of March nice thing is you get into HNL @ 4p and could be at the hotel @ 5p eat and then crash, get up the next morning catch The Bus and go to Pearl. Visit Pearl the Bowfin and the Mighty Mo. Come back to Waikiki grab food mill about crash again.

Second day. Beach and walk around Waikiki.

Third day walk around Waikiki get back to the airport by 4p for the 6p flight back to ATL and back home the next morning by noon.

DL round trip flights:
40,000 (Coach)

Hotel via Delta Marketplace:
Waikiki Resort Hotel ~29,000

A couple days in Hawaii: Priceless

What is everyone thoughts on this?
Decent deal?
Good value?
Too short?
Am I nuts?
Old Feb 9, 10, 6:42 pm
Moderator Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: AS MVP Gold, Honors Diamond
Do it.
Old Feb 9, 10, 6:51 pm

Programs: UA-Plat AS-MVPG
Sounds like a winner to me
Old Feb 9, 10, 6:52 pm

Programs: Delta
Do it. Second day, you'll probably be up early with the time change, so hike up Diamond Head in the morning.
Old Feb 9, 10, 6:56 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by nishimark View Post
Do it. Second day, you'll probably be up early with the time change, so hike up Diamond Head in the morning.
I'm to fat and out of shape to climb it.
Old Feb 9, 10, 7:18 pm

Programs: Starwood Gold, HiltonHHonors Silver, Marriott Silver, Delta SkyMiles
I'm from Ohio. I, personally, wouldn't go for 3 days because you end up exhausted on both travel days. And the 15 hour+ commute is a killer. I routinely go to Hawaii for 8 nights and people think I'm nuts to do that.

I'd also hate to waste 40k miles on the airfare for just 3 days! (BTW, have you actually found Saver seats for 40k or are you hoping to find them? I could only find Saver one way and ended up spending 65k per seat.)

I'd recommend going to St. John instead. Flight is much easier and they're one hour behind us, so the jet lag is much, much easier. It's a beautiful island, though admittedly not much to do if you're not into snorkeling.
Old Feb 9, 10, 8:53 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Recreation View Post
I'm from Ohio. I, personally, wouldn't go for 3 days because you end up exhausted on both travel days. And the 15 hour+ commute is a killer. I routinely go to Hawaii for 8 nights and people think I'm nuts to do that.

I'd also hate to waste 40k miles on the airfare for just 3 days! (BTW, have you actually found Saver seats for 40k or are you hoping to find them? I could only find Saver one way and ended up spending 65k per seat.)

I'd recommend going to St. John instead. Flight is much easier and they're one hour behind us, so the jet lag is much, much easier. It's a beautiful island, though admittedly not much to do if you're not into snorkeling.

Already done the STT and SXM thing, kinda want something different. Yep found 40,000 milers round trip
Old Feb 9, 10, 10:18 pm

Oh this is fun. Definitely go. You may not crash at all, and you will be up early the first day. On the way back from Pearl, stop at Chinatown, and explore/eat lunch. Lots of options. Head over to Aloha Tower. Work your way to Ala Moana--shopping center and the park.

A car for a day will get you everywhere. Drive Tantalus and Round Top instead of hiking Diamond Head. Stop at Nuuanu Pali Lookout, head to the beach at Kailua. Don't miss the North Shore in the winter.

Have a Mai Tai at House Without a Key--best at sunset. Grab a plate lunch at Diamond Head Market. Try a Loco Moco. Spam Musubi. The local twist on a big breakfast at McDonald's.

Spend a lot of time at the beach. That last day, check your carryon at the hotel and use the shower at the fitness room--don't just walk around. There's a lot of history at the old hotels--Moana and Royal Hawaiian--check them out. And chill at Duke's or the Mai Tai Bar. Go back with a tan. And sand between your toes. You'll have a great time!
Old Feb 10, 10, 2:51 am

Programs: UA,WN,AA,DL, B6
I wish I could go too. The weather does suck in Ohio.

I took my mom to Hawaii for the first time last year, 35,000 miles each and it was worth it.

Nice long flight CLE-EWR-HNL HNL-EWR-CLE

Pearl Harbor a must
Old Feb 10, 10, 6:49 am

Programs: AA Peon Gold
Go for it. I went to Australia for 5 days once, so Hawaii for three days isn't much different.

I gather you're young(er), and you're only young once, so do it!
Old Feb 10, 10, 9:18 am

Programs: DL, UA, AA (airline status-free leisure traveler), HH Diamond
Take it while you can. You may never find another 40K DL redemption to Hawaii in your lifetime. Heck, I would not be one bit surprised if it disappeared by the time that you look at it again.
Old Feb 10, 10, 10:52 am

Programs: AA, WN, DL, Hilton, Hyatt, SPG, Marriott, Priority Club
Great value and deal? Yes!! Only 69,000 points for air and hotel. Fab! Have fun! Too short. . . well, yeah. We wouldn't be that adventurous for that far. . . we never go to HI for less than 10-12 days because of the long travel. But, go for it!!! Have a few Mai Tai's for us. We will be there again in July.
Old Feb 10, 10, 7:58 pm

Programs: Delta
Originally Posted by kcmh View Post
I'm to fat and out of shape to climb it.
Nah, it's not really a climb, a steep walk. If you like to drive and explore, drive around the island and get out frequently at various cool places. I live overseas, so driving in the US and seeing places as they pop up has a special appeal to me. Plus, I've been to Waikiki many times. Anyway, I've found that activities like walking up Diamond Head and stopping at various beaches, sites, etc. to be very refreshing for my mind and spirit.
Old Feb 10, 10, 11:12 pm

Programs: UA-Gold, 1MM, Marriott Gold, Global Entry
Bravo!!!

There is no too much of a short time in Hawaii!

Remember: " I'd walk a mile for a Camel?" 1940's

"The pursuit of Passion...Begin your adventure in Hawaii!" 2010.

Aloha!
Old Feb 11, 10, 1:09 am

Programs: OK plus Gold
Thumbs up

do it :-)

It's a great idea. I do it myself (EU to FL) and I've always enjoyed it

Search this Thread