Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Hawaii
Reload this Page >

HNL for 3 days from OHIO!!!!! Need advice.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

HNL for 3 days from OHIO!!!!! Need advice.

Search this Thread

Old Feb 11, 2010, 6:11 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum, SPG Gold, DL Silver
Last summer, we went to Hawaii (from Maryland) for 11 nights (we go often), and my husband had to be routed from his work in another state and met us there (changed his Delta award ticket, and it worked out so well he arrived 30 minutes before me and our kids, got the car and was driving over to pick us up at luggage when we landed - bravo to Delta, as we all had first class tix for 75,000 miles). Anyway, so the seat next to me (was going to be my husband) was a really nice girl who was going from New Jersey for the weekend (she was some high elite with Delta so was upgraded). Yes, she was meeting friends in HNL for just about 3 days. She had the time, and wasn't married, so went for it. I thought, good for you!

For the miles, I'd definitely say go for it. You can stay home, but why? If you've got the time, yeah, sounds fun. Maybe not everyone has a week or more to take but for a long weekend it sounds fun!
Old Feb 11, 2010, 9:31 am

Originally Posted by Pegasus23
Bravo!!!

There is no too much of a short time in Hawaii!

Remember: " I'd walk a mile for a Camel?" 1940's

"The pursuit of Passion...Begin your adventure in Hawaii!" 2010.

Aloha!
March Madness! You could do something like this every year.
Old Feb 11, 2010, 9:45 am

Do it. I have had to travel for business a lot farther (Hong Kong) to spend less time (2 days) for far less fun and excitment.

So if this is just to live and have fun--do it.

I would HIGHLY recommend the House without a Key for a sunset Mai Tai. Then I would head over to Dukes on the beach. Two great places to just chill and soak in the Hawaiian vibe.

Enjoy!
Old Feb 11, 2010, 10:02 am

Programs: DL/Marriott/Hilton/IHG Gold
Go for it.
I just returned from Honolulu/Waikiki Beach and spent 4 days there if you count the day I travelled. Since I have been there so many times, did not do too much tourist stuff but just enjoying the weather and nice warm and moist air is priceless. I have gone to Shanghai and back for a 2 night trip from Ohio.
Great weather, great food, it is worth the long flights. Be sure to stop by Hawaiian Cookie Company stores to sample their delicious cookies. I ended up shipping many boxes as gifts. The stores are all over and from your hotel nearest one may be on Ohua Ave and Kalakua Ave by the beach. (I don't work for the company. I just enjoy the cookies. I wish I were back in Hawaii now away from all these snow.
Old Feb 11, 2010, 2:29 pm

Programs: AC SE, Marriott LT PE, NEXUS/GE
I'm going to Waikiki for 3 nights at the end of the month from YYZ. I convinced my wife that it would be fun to get out of the cold for a few days and she just turned 30 so it was a good excuse for a trip!

Needless to say, most people think we are crazy for going for such a short time.
Old Feb 11, 2010, 7:40 pm

Programs: HHonors Gold, National Emerald Club, no airline affinity status
I once went from Hawaii to Tokyo to Okinawa back to Hawaii in 52 hours (from takeoff to landing). Granted I wasnt on vacation...it was all for work. If only I was in business class at least part of the way it would have been worth it.
Old Feb 12, 2010, 12:25 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP MM, HH Diamond
Go for it - a go twice a year from the UK for 5 nights (Ok so spend one night at LAX on way over and about 5 after in ORD)
Waikiki Resort have a good breakfast buffet (not stayed there but used their breakfast buffet on many occasions).
Diamond Head hike is fine - views are spectactular (will pm you link from last week to my pics of the walk - you can see that it is not too bad)
Old Feb 12, 2010, 1:00 am

Programs: NWA Worldperks, AA Advantage, United Mileage Plus
You should definitely go for it as I think you're getting a great deal on the miles. The weather has been pretty good here, not too much rain. You could either just relax and chill or find a whole bunch of stuff to do.

These long weekends are interesting because you probably won't follow an iteniary and just go with what the mood strikes you.

I second the notion of picking up cookies as souvenirs. Try the guava flavored ones if you have a chance. Anyway, have fun and enjoy your long weekend.
Old Feb 12, 2010, 9:20 am

Go and don't look back. These trips are the BIG memory makers.
Old Feb 12, 2010, 10:42 pm

Programs: HA AK CO Silver Elite
Smile Go For Sure!!!

I just got back from a 6 day trip 2 weeks ago. I would definitely say on that last day get up early go pick up a cheap rental car from Dollar, Thrifty or such from airport at say 6-7 am and head up to North Shore to see the Winter Swells. It is worth the jaunt.
We had a 4 pm flight and did it, you have a 6pm flight. Go check it out go up to Turtle Bay look around and then check out all surf spots along the way back down and then stop off at town of Haleiwa for a quick bite or coffee and then stop at Dole Plantation before heading back to Airport by 4pm.

You'll be glad you did.

Cheers
Old Feb 14, 2010, 3:08 pm
AGS

Programs: Hilton HHonors Diamond, AAdvantage Platinum
Originally Posted by kcmh
Second day. Beach and walk around Waikiki
Instead rent a car and drive up to the beaches on the north shore. Waimea Bay or Sunset Beach. Much better. Poke around Haleiwa. Get a shave ice. Waikiki is disappointing and you will get to see the more natural part of the island driving up there. It is not a long drive.

Three days seems pretty short. I'm from Ohio too and have gone six times from here, usually for two weeks. Seems a shame to go that far and only stay for three days but maybe you have work or other constraints. If not consider a few more days.

AGS
Old Feb 14, 2010, 3:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON, BA Gold, EK Gold
Hey, I'm going to HNL for 3 days but coming from FRA !
Old Feb 14, 2010, 8:06 pm

Definitely do it! Last Nov/Dec I went twice from the east coast during UA DEQM to secure 1k for 2010, staying two nights each time. Will be doing it again, I expect.
Old Feb 15, 2010, 6:37 am

Programs: UA 1K 2MM Flier, SPG Plt, Hilton Dia
If it's what you want to do and works for you, then go! I'm on my way home (the Midwest) from Oahu now...a long weekend with about 52 hours on the ground in Hawaii. It was a short trip but it's all I could fit in with my schedule, as was the 3-day trip I took to Kauai in January.

There are some very good suggestions up-thread for ways to spend your time -- have a loose itinerary in your mind and then go with what strikes you when you get there, whether it's a couple lazy days on the beach, getting out and seeing a lot, or a little of both.
Old Feb 15, 2010, 3:48 pm

Let me add one more encouraging voice. Go for it!! As some have noted, you've actually got more time than you realize. You can do the Arizona, the Bowfin, and the Missouri and be back mid-afternoon, easy. Then take a stroll up the beaches all the way to the HHV (check out the penguins), then back to either the House Without a Key at the Halekulani or the beach bar at the Moana Surfrider to down a Mai Tai while watching the sun set. Then find some food.

I agree with others who suggest you'll enjoy the island more if you rent a car and circle it or head to the North Shore beaches and Haleiwa.

I discourage use of theBus to get to and from Pearl Harbor. Sure, it's cheap, but on such a short schedule as yours, you'll lose way too much of your life waiting for buses, waiting on buses for people to load, etc.

It looks like you're trying to do the trip on the cheap - but don't go too cheap and shortchange yourself. It would cost about $150 or so for combined costs of a 3-day rental + hotel parking. You'll recoup about $50 of that in taxi/shuttle fees you don't have to pay from airport to hotel and back (HNL hotels don't have free shuttles).

OTOH, it's possible and highly encouraged to eat very cheaply in Waikiki and Honolulu. Save your money there instead of transportation.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.