Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Hawaii
Reload this Page >

Maui Timeshares - Discounts on Activities?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 3, 2010, 1:12 pm
Original Poster

I will be traveling to Maui this month and plan to stay at the Ka'anapali Beach Club. I hear they are pretty agressive with the timeshare, I bought this trip on Craigslist and do not own or want to own a timeshare. I would go thru the presentation but what do they give in return as far as discounts on local attractions and would it be better to go with another chain if I choose to sit thru their timeshare? Thanks!
Old Jan 3, 2010, 1:18 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
Originally Posted by lharris816
I will be traveling to Maui this month and plan to stay at the Ka'anapali Beach Club. I hear they are pretty agressive with the timeshare, I bought this trip on Craigslist and do not own or want to own a timeshare. I would go thru the presentation but what do they give in return as far as discounts on local attractions and would it be better to go with another chain if I choose to sit thru their timeshare? Thanks!
Welcome to FT!

As far as other chains, if you are a member of Starwood's SPG, the Westin Ka'anapali Ocean Resort Villas presentation will result in 4,000-5,000 SPG points.
Old Jan 3, 2010, 1:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
My vacation time is worth far more than whatever activity discount they would provide.

Seriously. You'll be at the presentation for at least an hour and probably more.
Old Jan 3, 2010, 2:19 pm

You can easily save several hundred dollars on activities that way. They either give cash (via debit cards, expect/bargain for $100+) or as credit towards booked activities or discounts towards luau/restaurant etc, or sometimes cash (via debit cards) plus an activity discount card. The discount cards can give significant savings. Tips: (a) when signing up for a presentation, bargain hard; those who sign you up get a commision, so they have their own incentive; press them to tell all the options for the gift; (b) sign up for a afternoon presentation; if you go in the morning then if the sales people let you go early they have to hang around waiting for the next appointment; but in the afternoon they want to go home, so you can get out quicker; (c) indicate to the sales person right away that you are not interested to buy; they see people like that all day long, so they expect that and would not want to waste time. Most would ask indirectly right away. You can get out in 30-40 minutes easily. (How in the world anyone gets convinced to buy timeshare is beyond me.)

I know lots of people would get angry and upset reading the above. Whatever. What people choose to do with their personal time, such as attend or not a timeshare presentation, is their own business. Who are we to judge.

As for me, as an active member of the local community, I am actively against timeshare and timeshare development.

Last edited by Coconut Travel Hawaii; Jan 3, 2010 at 11:30 pm
Old Jan 3, 2010, 3:26 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Coconut Travel Hawaii
You can easily save several hundred dollars on activities that way. They either give cash (via debit cards, expect/bargain for $100+) or as credit towards booked activities or discounts towards luau/restaurant etc, or sometimes cash (via debit cards) plus an activity discount card. The discount cards can give significant savings. Tips: (a) when signing up for a presentation, bargain hard; those who sign you up get a commision, so they have their own incentive; press them to tell all the options for the gift; (b) sign up for a afternoon presentation; if you go in the morning then if the sales people let you go early they have to hang around waiting for the next appointment; but in the afternoon they want to go home, so you can get out quicker; (c) indicate to the sales person right away that you are not interested to buy; they see people like that all day long, so they expect that and would not want to waste time. Most would ask indirectly right away. You can get out in 30-40 minutes easily. (How in the world anyone gets convinced to buy timeshare is beyond me. It makes no financial sense to own it.)

I know lots of people would get angry and upset reading the above. Whatever. What people choose to do with their personal time, such as attend or not a timeshare presentation, is their own business. Who are we to judge.

As for me, as an active member of the local community, I am actively against timeshare and timeshare development.
Thank you Coconut Travel Hawaii, I was looking for this kind of advise when doing a timeshare. I wouldn't do a timeshare normally but am spending 16 nights, and Maui can be expensive so I figure I can afford a few hours in a timeshare presentation to get a few discounts on things I really want to do.
Old Jan 3, 2010, 4:53 pm

Thank you Coconut Travel Hawaii, I was looking for this kind of advise when doing a timeshare. I wouldn't do a timeshare normally but am spending 16 nights, and Maui can be expensive so I figure I can afford a few hours in a timeshare presentation to get a few discounts on things I really want to do.
I know what you mean. As another comment: most or almost all of those presentations on Maui are in Lahaina area. So, for folks staying in the Kihei area it is a time consuming hike to drive to Lahaina for that, although of course they can schedule a day trip to Lahaina and include the timeshare thing in it. But since you will be in Kaanapali area, it would be much easier for you.

On the main street in Lahaina (Front St and there), they have lots of timeshare and travel offices, so you can assess what they offer. Walk along Front St (which you will be doing anyway while visiting Lahaina) and you will see those places. I saw there places promoting Marriott timeshare and other timeshare projects. They probably have those kiosks in Kaanapali area as well. There are also Activities-4-Less kiosks in various parts of the island (incl. Kihei and Lahaina), those sell various activities; they sign up for Wyndham timeshare presentations. It is standard for these places to offer gifts and discounts if they sign up for a timeshare presentation. Press any of them to tell you the whole range of gifts they offer for attending a presentation; they usually start "low" and up those as you bargain your way up. As said, they see folks interested in getting gifts for attending a presentation all day long. So they expect that. Remember that they get a commission, too. (Cash (via debit cards) plus some discount card may be a good deal.) (It is amazing how many people get a "cut" in the whole timeshare industry process.)

DON'T FORGET: There are SO MANY activities on Maui that are FREE! So many beautiful beaches, beautiful weather, hiking trails, snorkeling, a road to Hana, Haleakala National Park (admission fee, but very inexpensive), many things to explore around the island. So think also: do you really need those commercial/paid activities? Are they worth it? I'd suggest "breaking" the island into areas, such as Kihei/Wailea/Makena, Hana, Haleakala etc; then research on things to do there, incl. nicest beaches, snorkeling places, hiking, places to eat, places to see etc; then plan day trips to various such areas; take also beverages and lunch picnic items, it's so nice to have a leasurely picnic under some tree on the beach. You'll be amazed how many things there are there to do for free or minimal fees.

You may consider asking fellow flyertalks which paid activities they'd recommend.

Last edited by Coconut Travel Hawaii; Jan 3, 2010 at 5:25 pm
Old Jan 3, 2010, 6:13 pm
Original Poster

Thanks again Coconut Travel Hawaii, I bought Maui Revealed and plan to do exactly as you say, make alot of day trips to different parts of the island, pack a picnic lunch and enjoy the countyside and beaches, can't wait! We are planning to snorkel the area beaches and thought maybe one day of snorkeling to Molikini would be nice, as a paid activity.
Old Jan 4, 2010, 12:59 am

I bought Maui Revealed...
Maui Revealed is a terrific book, you are on the right track

As a reminder: If you happen to be a Costco member, then there is Costco very close to the OGG airport, you will pass it as you are going from OGG towards Lahaina, Kihei etc.

For folks with interest in natural/organic food, there is a very neat store called Down to Earth. It is on Dairy Road, you will pass it (it will be on your right) while driving from the OGG airport towards Lahaina/Kihei etc (it's past Costco, not far).

Also, don't forget: there is free parking in Lahaina. For ex., there is a paid parking lot close to Front St on Kaanapali side. But if you drive along Front St towards the opposite side in the direction away from Kaanapali, then you will see a free parking lot and free street parking. Of course, restaurants would validate parking, so no issue then.
Old Jan 8, 2010, 11:02 pm

Programs: AA, AS, BA, DL Plat, Chase UR, Diners, UA, F9, WN, SPG Gold, HH Diamond, Amex MR.
Originally Posted by controller1
Welcome to FT!

As far as other chains, if you are a member of Starwood's SPG, the Westin Ka'anapali Ocean Resort Villas presentation will result in 4,000-5,000 SPG points.
This property offers higher bonuses for SPG Gold and Plat. (e.g., 7,500 points for SPG Gold).

Mariott offers 10,000 Mariott points.
Old Jan 13, 2010, 10:50 pm

Programs: DL FO, CO Silver, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
lharris816,

My wife and I just got back (like a few hours ago) from Hawaii, where we did Oahu, Maui, and Kauai.

We stayed at the Kaanapali Beach Club for 4 nights - nice property, albeit very PINK. Decent suites, spacious, well-appointed. As far as the timeshare pitch - aggressive is an understatement. Our salesperson would not take take no for an answer. He and his manager more or less told us that our marriage was doomed if we didn't buy from them (under the guise of "not spending quality vacation time with each other.") TWO HOURS later we were freed from our misery (but not before being passed off to one last person for a final pitch).

Oh, I almost forgot - their other angle was that it would guarantee "good nookie - because hotel nookie is the best nookie."

The 100 bucks in vouchers just isn't worth it, IMHO.

...I bought Maui Revealed...
PS - I would not suggest taking this book out in public - while definitely a great resource, it is DESPISED by locals for various reasons, all of which I am sympathetic to.
Old Jan 14, 2010, 1:40 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
If the choice were hearing a pitch from Scientologists or timeshare salesmen, I'd really have to think about it.
Old Jan 14, 2010, 10:39 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by samalamadingdong
lharris816,

My wife and I just got back (like a few hours ago) from Hawaii, where we did Oahu, Maui, and Kauai.

We stayed at the Kaanapali Beach Club for 4 nights - nice property, albeit very PINK. Decent suites, spacious, well-appointed. As far as the timeshare pitch - aggressive is an understatement. Our salesperson would not take take no for an answer. He and his manager more or less told us that our marriage was doomed if we didn't buy from them (under the guise of "not spending quality vacation time with each other.") TWO HOURS later we were freed from our misery (but not before being passed off to one last person for a final pitch).

Oh, I almost forgot - their other angle was that it would guarantee "good nookie - because hotel nookie is the best nookie."

The 100 bucks in vouchers just isn't worth it, IMHO.

PS - I would not suggest taking this book out in public - while definitely a great resource, it is DESPISED by locals for various reasons, all of which I am sympathetic to.
OMG I almost fell of the chair laughing so hard! Thats original "good nookie" I bet you don't hear that too often with a timeshare pitch! Can you tell me the name of the guy so if we choose to do it that we don't get him, or if we do, we can make fun of him at the very least? We will think of something original to say to him before he can get " nookie" out of his mouth! Thanks for the advise about Maui Revealed, we will keep it on the down low. I have my daughter-in-laws sister living there to guide us anyway.
Old Jan 15, 2010, 6:11 am

Programs: DL FO, CO Silver, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
lharris816,

PM'ed you - didn't want to be accused of libel!
Old Jan 20, 2010, 12:33 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
Thanks for the advise about Maui Revealed, we will keep it on the down low.
Don't sweat it with that very useful guide. I've never had anyone comment on it, and I'm pretty sure the businesses with good reviews in it are just fine with Maui Revealed. The people who whine about it are whiners, generally.
Old Jan 20, 2010, 11:00 pm
Original Poster

Didn't do timeshare here afterall since they are very pushy straight away when you ck in. I really like the place tho, very nice and friendly staff, nice room on the 10th floor. Going to go ahead and pay Snorkel Bob 109 for a lanai landing cruise it should be fun. Raining this eve but has been great so far.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.