Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Hawaii
Reload this Page >

Grocery Stores near Hilton Hawaiian Village

Old Jan 1, 2010, 7:13 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Gold, HHonors Diamond

A few years back, we stayed here, and did the whole timeshare thing.

We are about to do it again, and wanted to know of any fulls service grocery stores hear Hilton Hawaiian Village... last time we found just a small deli.
Old Jan 1, 2010, 8:15 pm

The HHV is not particularly close to a large Supermarket. The best bet for a sort of mini Supermarket is the Foodland in the Ala Moana Center.
http://www.alamoanacenter.com/foodland_supermarket.htm
A rather long walk, but doable. TheBus will take you there from the stop across the street. It will drop you off in the front, but most of the returns are from the rear. Ask for a transfer which can be used for your return trip. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hawaii/883338-bus.html
A smaller mini Supermarket on Waikiki is Food Pantry. It is also a long walk from HHV.
htttp://www.yelp.com/biz/food-pantry-ltd-honolulu-2
PS When will you be there?
Old Jan 1, 2010, 9:02 pm

Programs: DL PM, Hilton Diamond
Right down the street from the mall is a Wal-Mart and Sam's club. The prices there are much better. We find the mall is quite walkable from HHV- about a 10-15 stroll.
Old Jan 2, 2010, 1:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Location: Honolulu, Hawaiʻi [+MKK4 EBBER R577 EDSEL R577 ELKEY EXERT]
If you have Costco membership and a rental car, there's an easy Costco along the way from the airport in Iwilei. Take Nimitz, not H-1 and it'll be Alakawa St, right when you see the BestBuy on the left. There's a Costco gas station across the street, which is a good stop on the way back to the airport.
Old Jan 2, 2010, 1:48 am

I know that area and all the grocery shopping options really well. In terms of grocery stores, your best bet would be Daiei. It is now called Don Quijote because a year or two ago it changed owner and name. But people who live here (incl. myself) still call it Daiei. When you get to the Ala Moana Shopping Center or close to it, just ask anybody who seems local how to get to Daiei/Don Quijote. It's just a block away from the Ala Moana Center. It is a large supermarket. It does have lots of Asian food items, but also all the regular food - a large variety. I am not into Asian food, but shop at Daiei all the time b/c it offers great variety and good prices. Compared to the other main grocery stores, it has most competitive prices. There is also Foodland in the Ala Moana Shopping Center, but it is smaller in size and noticeably more expensive. A block away from the Ala Moana Shopping Center, there are also Walmart and Sam's Club. This particular Walmart has a very limited selection of groceries. But what's nice is that it has really great prices on macademia nuts and that kind of thing, the best prices I could find on those items. Again, just ask for directions. Whether it is walkable from the Hilton Village: that really depends on how much of a walker you are. For me, I would walk that distance without even thinking about it, especially considering the beautiful Hawaii weather. But let's face it, most Americans are not into walking Those stores are about 15-20 minutes of walking from the Hilton Village. There are also Safeway, Times Market etc stores - but those are way further away from the Hilton Village, and the prices are not as competitive as Daiei. Costco is a great option, but that's if you have a car (in theory, you can get there by bus from the Hilton Village, but it's totally not practical without a car).

Last edited by Coconut Travel Hawaii; Jan 2, 2010 at 2:44 am
Old Jan 2, 2010, 3:07 am

Programs: NWA Worldperks, AA Advantage, United Mileage Plus
I think the options stated above are all pretty good ones. The Wal Mart doesn't really have a large grocery section though. The Foodland at Ala Moana is small and expensive. Don Quijote also sells electronics and other stuff (clothing etc) in addition to grocery and produce. There is also a nice food court outside. I find the other retailers (Safeway and Times) have raised prices. Don Quijote also sells really affordable angus beef. I think they had cheap persimmons a few weeks ago too.

I think Costco by bus is doable if you're not buying that much. Otherwise you'll have to lug a lot of groceries through a parking lot and cross the street to the bus stop.
Old Jan 2, 2010, 4:26 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Coconut Travel Hawaii
I know that area and all the grocery shopping options really well. In terms of grocery stores, your best bet would be Daiei. It is now called Don Quijote because a year or two ago it changed owner and name. But people who live here (incl. myself) still call it Daiei. When you get to the Ala Moana Shopping Center or close to it, just ask anybody who seems local how to get to Daiei/Don Quijote. It's just a block away from the Ala Moana Center. It is a large supermarket. It does have lots of Asian food items, but also all the regular food - a large variety. I am not into Asian food, but shop at Daiei all the time b/c it offers great variety and good prices. Compared to the other main grocery stores, it has most competitive prices. There is also Foodland in the Ala Moana Shopping Center, but it is smaller in size and noticeably more expensive. A block away from the Ala Moana Shopping Center, there are also Walmart and Sam's Club. This particular Walmart has a very limited selection of groceries. But what's nice is that it has really great prices on macademia nuts and that kind of thing, the best prices I could find on those items. Again, just ask for directions. Whether it is walkable from the Hilton Village: that really depends on how much of a walker you are. For me, I would walk that distance without even thinking about it, especially considering the beautiful Hawaii weather. But let's face it, most Americans are not into walking Those stores are about 15-20 minutes of walking from the Hilton Village. There are also Safeway, Times Market etc stores - but those are way further away from the Hilton Village, and the prices are not as competitive as Daiei. Costco is a great option, but that's if you have a car (in theory, you can get there by bus from the Hilton Village, but it's totally not practical without a car).
Some locals still call it Holiday Mart. It's not a Holiday Mart for at least the last 10 years.
Old Jan 2, 2010, 6:18 am

Programs: UA Million Miler (Gold), Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
I stay there annually in a timeshare unit and buy groceries at Foodland at Ala Moana since I don't rent a car. The prices aren't much more than I pay in Chicago, at least for what I buy. You can get a free Makia card to get the sale prices. I always walk there and take a taxi back since I buy more than I can carry. With a tip, the taxi is about $10.

You might want to check prices at the ABC store. Although prices are higher than the grocery store, sometimes a sale is cheaper. But grocery items are limited.
Old Jan 2, 2010, 7:03 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Gold, HHonors Diamond
I am debating getting a rental car for a day, to do this shopping trip and some sightseeing...

thanks for all the input... just looking to shop for breakast and lunch items for the week.. we usually try to 'eat in' for those meals, then out for dinner!
Old Jan 2, 2010, 11:31 am

Originally Posted by linsj
I stay there annually in a timeshare unit and buy groceries at Foodland at Ala Moana since I don't rent a car. The prices aren't much more than I pay in Chicago, at least for what I buy. You can get a free Makia card to get the sale prices. I always walk there and take a taxi back since I buy more than I can carry. With a tip, the taxi is about $10.

You might want to check prices at the ABC store. Although prices are higher than the grocery store, sometimes a sale is cheaper. But grocery items are limited.
Advice: Definitely check out Don Quijote (formerly Daiei, formerly Holiday Mart). It is very close to the Ala Moana Center. Its prices are way better than Foodland. Foodland does have sales with the card - but those sales are just for certain limited items, and you end up paying more for items not on sale.

As for ABCs: They are convenient, but pricy if buying a lot. If you want to buy lots of macademia nuts etc to take home as gifts, definitely check out Walmart, such as the one one block from the Ala Moana Center. Very good prices compared to other places.

Originally Posted by psubill78
I am debating getting a rental car for a day, to do this shopping trip and some sightseeing...
I would definitely consider renting a car for at least a day. That way you can go to the North Shore and other places. It is much easer than by bus. Renting a car on Oahu is generally inexpensive, they often have great deals. I don't know how much Hilton would charge for parking. Some people who stay there, if they want to save money, park their cars in the public lot next to the Hilton Lagoon, close to the Yacht Club. It used to be free, now they have meters but very inexpensive. (But some people do get concerned about leaving their car overnight there.)

Last edited by Coconut Travel Hawaii; Jan 2, 2010 at 2:10 pm Reason: Consolidated poster's two consecutive posts
Old Jan 2, 2010, 3:53 pm

Programs: UA Million Miler (Gold), Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Coconut Travel Hawaii
Advice: Definitely check out Don Quijote (formerly Daiei, formerly Holiday Mart). It is very close to the Ala Moana Center. Its prices are way better than Foodland. Foodland does have sales with the card - but those sales are just for certain limited items, and you end up paying more for items not on sale.

As for ABCs: They are convenient, but pricy if buying a lot. If you want to buy lots of macademia nuts etc to take home as gifts, definitely check out Walmart, such as the one one block from the Ala Moana Center. Very good prices compared to other places.
I didn't know about Don Quijote before this thread but will check it out next fall. Is it behind the mall by Walmart?

Except for some sale items, I agree ABCs are expensive. But almost every trip one item I want will be on sale for less than the grocery store. Go figure. Second the suggestion for Walmart for nuts, candy, and souvenirs.
Old Jan 2, 2010, 4:38 pm

Originally Posted by linsj
I didn't know about Don Quijote before this thread but will check it out next fall. Is it behind the mall by Walmart?
If you know where that Walmart is, then here is how to get to Don Quijote. If you stand with your back to Walmart and looking towards the Ala Moana Center, you will see Walgreens across the street to the left (it is a new Walgreens, it wasn't there before). There is a small (two-lane) road that is parallel to Kapiolani Blvd, walk up there (general direction Waikiki). Keep walking to the intersection where there is First Hawaiian Bank on your right, and Don Quijote is on your left. From Walmart, it is five minutes maximum of walking. It would be best to simply ask for directions, most people would know here it is. If you are coming from the Hilton Village, then Don Quijote would be actually a bit closer than Walmart or Foodland. Please note though that there are so many taxies by Foodland at the Ala Moana Center. As for Don Quijote, I have seen taxies there, but few, since it is mostly local people shopping. But you can access the situation once there. There is actually a bus stop by the Ala Moana Center a very short block away from Don Quijote. At that stop, one can catch 8, 19, and 20 going to Waikiki.

Last edited by Coconut Travel Hawaii; Jan 2, 2010 at 4:54 pm

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.