Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Hawaii
Reload this Page >

Hawaii - Island to Island travel..

Old Dec 8, 09, 3:51 pm
Original Poster

My Fiance and I will be in Hawaii this winter. We are spending half our trip in Oahu and the other half in Maui. I'm looking for advice on how to travel from island to island. Ideally, I'd like to take a high speed boat / ferry from Oahu to Maui. I know this is very popular in Greece to and from the Greek Islands, however, I haven't heard about this option in Hawaii.

Does anyone know if it is possible and what the cost is compared to air travel?
Old Dec 8, 09, 4:03 pm
Moderator Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: AS MVP Gold, Honors Diamond
There are no ferries.

You'll be flying

Welcome to FlyerTalk!
Old Dec 8, 09, 11:10 pm

Programs: AA, DL, HA, WN, UA, B6, KX, Amtrak, HHonors Silver, SPG
Yeah, between Oahu and Maui it's gotta be air now. There was an attempt to run the SuperFerry, but it's toast now (environmental challenges in court followed by a bankruptcy filing).

However, there are small ferries or boat tours running out of Lahaina on West Maui to Lanai and Molokai. To Lanai there's the Lanai Expedition Ferries and the Trilogy catamarans. To Molokai there's the Island Princess, Molokai Princess and Maui Princess. Both are nice day trips and can be easily booked through an activity broker(did both a few years ago). Best to check the marine weather report before booking so it's a smooth ride.
Old Dec 8, 09, 11:12 pm
Moderator: Credit Card Programs & Chase Ultimate Rewards

Programs: Too many to list
Originally Posted by jnewlin View Post
My Fiance and I will be in Hawaii this winter. We are spending half our trip in Oahu and the other half in Maui. I'm looking for advice on how to travel from island to island. Ideally, I'd like to take a high speed boat / ferry from Oahu to Maui. I know this is very popular in Greece to and from the Greek Islands, however, I haven't heard about this option in Hawaii.

Does anyone know if it is possible and what the cost is compared to air travel?
Welcome to FT. Use www.kayak.com to compare airfare. Or, use miles.
Old Dec 9, 09, 12:10 am
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Location: Honolulu, Hawaiʻi [+MKK4 EBBER R577 EDSEL R577 ELKEY EXERT]
Originally Posted by philemer View Post
Welcome to FT. Use www.kayak.com to compare airfare. Or, use miles.
Book early--with winter travel, prices can get rather high (from the current $58 base rate).
Old Dec 12, 09, 12:33 pm

If you already have your hotel booked and know when you will be traveling then you may as well book inter-island flights. Otherwise, really no rush. They have plenty of flights available, the rates are pretty stable, currently $58 + tax each way. I travel a lot between the islands for work, and usually book flights at the last minute, sometimes even in the morning of the departure day, never had problems. I would NOT bother with kayak.com for this. There are really just two main airlines to choose from if going Honolulu-Maui: www.hawaiianair.com and www.iflygo.com. I personally prefer the Go! airline, even though they have fewer flights, because they are more flexible and accommodating than Hawaiian.
Old Dec 12, 09, 3:32 pm

OP: Please consider not flying go! They are the source of much misery in Hawai`i. E.g.,

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hawai...1#post10162303

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/11562083-post296.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hawai...21#post9162498

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hawai...1#post11415443

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hawai...1#post11231496

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hawai...1#post11310486

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hawai...1#post10853606

They are not pono at all.

And even if they were, their planes are awful, they charge you for everything (including water!) Don't forget that it was two go! pilots who fell asleep in the cockpit of an HNL-ITO flight and overshot Hilo by many, many miles. Scary stuff, and you can infer something about their labor practices.

Please don't fly go!
Old Dec 12, 09, 9:56 pm

Prefer Go!

Originally Posted by cblaisd View Post
Please consider not flying go! They are the source of much misery in Hawai`i. ... Please don't fly go!
I know, quite a few people here in Hawaii have strong negative opinions and emotions about Go! and would not fly with them. But Go! does have its market, and some people, incl. myself, love them.

Here is why. They are far more flexible and accommodating than Hawaiian Airlines. Hawaiian Airlines does NOT allow standby on the same day, they insist on at least $40 fee if you want to fly on an earlier flight. It is ABSURD. They have so many flights, during some parts of the day almost every half an hour. The plane could be half empty, but they would NOT let you on a standby UNLESS you pay at least $40. Then if you happen to miss your flight, you have to pay at least $40 (at least!) to be put on the next flight. They would not even consider waiving that unless you are to the tune of 1st-class.

In contrast, Go! allows standby on the same day without any fee. They will offer to put you on an earlier flight, with a smile and no hassle and no fee. On a couple of occassions, I was running late and missed my flight - Go! put me on a later flight without charging extra and without giving me a hard time. But their flight availability is narrower. So if you need to be on another island by a certain hour, especially in the morning, then Hawaiian may and often is a much better choice (Hawaiian is punctual, too). But, say, I go to Maui for a day trip for work. Sometimes I feel like having dinner there, visiting Wailea to see the sunset etc, and return to Oahu late. But sometimes I just want to go home to Oahu. With Go!, I can book a late flight knowing that I can easily get on an earlier flight if I want to. With Hawaiian - no way.

Go!'s planes are fine and clean. Claiming that they are dirty simply does not correspond to reality. True, they do not provide free water. But the flights are only 20-25 minutes long, who cares about free water.

Keep in mind the history. There used to be Hawaiian Airlines and Aloha Airlines as two main airlines in Hawaii, for many years. Then came Go! and drove Aloha out of business. So many local residents are still upset and emotional about Go! It's understandable.
Old Dec 13, 09, 3:23 am
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Location: Honolulu, Hawaiʻi [+MKK4 EBBER R577 EDSEL R577 ELKEY EXERT]
Originally Posted by Coconut Travel Hawaii View Post
Go!'s planes are fine and clean. Claiming that they are dirty simply does not correspond to reality. True, they do not provide free water. But the flights are only 20-25 minutes long, who cares about free water.
I've actually been on a few pretty awfully dirty go! planes. I guess my experiences just doesn't correspond to reality.
Old Dec 13, 09, 4:11 am

Hawaiian Airlines is rigid & customer-unfriendly; Go! is flexible & customer-friendly

Let me give you another example. I was recently coming from Maui to HNL. I did not have a pre-booked ticket because I was running errands around Maui and simply had no idea when I would be ready to go. So I got to the Kahului airport and went to the Hawaiian Airlines counter. I told them I needed to go one-way to HNL. The agent checked on the computer and told me it would be $100+. I said, "Why? The going rate is $58+tax. Why over $100?" Guess what? Hawaiian now charges extra - I think it is their typical $40 that they seem to want to charge extra for everything under the sun - if you buy your ticket at the airport. Can you imagine? I tried to sweet-talk them to waive the fee - they told me no way, if you buy your ticket at the airport you pay extra. So I got from them the Hawaiian Airlines phone number thinking I can book the ticket that way. I called Hawaiian Airlines on my cell (the Hawaiian Airlines agent at the counter gave me the number but did not offer to call, even though several of agents were idle with nothing to do, no customers). Guess what? They charge you extra - I believe the same $40 extra - if you buy your ticket over the phone! Can you imagine? They would not waive that fee, no way. The only way you can get a normal fair is by booking online.

Needless to say, I turned around and went to the Go! counter. (Why didn't I go to Go! right away? - Because I know they have fewer flights, I thought it would be less waiting with Hawaiian since they have more flights.) The Go! agent sold me a ticket for $58+tax, no problem, no hassle, she even called the gate counter to tell them I was on my way there because the flight was soon to depart.

You may say, "Why don't you book in advance?" I do usually, a couple days in advance. But l live here and go to the Neighbor Islands all the time. It's no big deal to go there, what's there to plan months in advance?

My point is: Hawaiian Airlines is rigid & customer-unfriendly; Go! is flexible & customer-friendly. Go with Go!
Old Dec 13, 09, 6:58 am

The simple truth is that you have been fortunate in your experiences with go! Long-time members of this board and readers of this forum know that your experiences are anomalous.

...Go! is flexible & customer-friendly.
Let's grant for a moment that your unusual experience with go! continues.

I would submit that sometimes it's not about the money or about my convenience but about what is right, and just, and pono. go!/Mesa came into Hawai`i with the avowed intent of running Aloha out of business, used proprietary information from another carrier that it had obtained under false pretenses (this is not an opinion, this is fact: an $80 million judgment was rendered against go! for this), and is one in the latest series of mainland carpetbagging companies to come to Hawai`i managing to destroy a proud locally-owned business that was truly ohana for many.

So, again, to the op: please e komo mai (welcome), enjoy Hawai`i, and congratulations on your wedding -- please fly whomever you wish. But keep in mind that you will be assisting justice and what is right by not flying go!, and you can join many, many of us who will pay more and wait longer for a Hawaiian or Island Air or Pacific Wings flight than fly go!

...Then came Go! and drove Aloha out of business. So many local residents are still upset and emotional about Go! It's understandable.
Indeed it is, indeed it is.
Old Dec 13, 09, 1:15 pm

A couple more considerations...

Here are additional considerations to keep in mind when planning inter-island flights:

1) Whether you buy two separate one-way tickets or a round-trip ticket, it is the same price. I.e., there is NO discount to buy a round-trip ticket. Keep that in mind.

2) Thus, what some people, incl. myself, do is buy one-way on one airline and the return on another airline, depending on price, schedule, flexibility, and other considerations.

3) Don't take me,wrong, Go! is a no-frills airline, no question. But they are flexible (I have tons of other examples to illustrate this). But Hawaiian Airlines has many more flights and has a reputation of being punctual. This comes in handy if, e.g., you are flying to another island for a meeting and need to be there at a certain hour in the morning. Hawaiian will most likely be a better choice for that one-way.

4) If you are flying between the Neighbor Islands, e.g., Hilo to Maui, then definitely consider various airlines. E.g., suppose you need to fly Hilo to Kahului, Maui. Go! has one-way tickets Hilo -> Kahului for $69+tax; they have a direct flight and also through HNL; even if it is through HNL it is still $69+tax (if you are flying Hilo -> Kahului through HNL, don't worry about missing that connection because it is the same plane). In contrast, Hawaiian's lowest fare for Hilo -> Kahului is $98+tax. Similarly for other routes between the Neighbor Islands. So it pays to compare www.hawaiianair.com and www.iflygo.com.

5) Don't bother with www.kayak.com for this. It is much easier to check Hawaiian's and Go!'s websites directly - you can see their entire schedules and pricing on one screen and can easily navigate to other dates. Very convenient.

6) Prices change continiuosly throughout the day. So if you don't see flights and prices you want right away, check their websites again a couple hours later, and again if needed. Prices are fluid. But you can see right away the going lowest fares. E.g., right now it is $58+tax one-way.

5) There is also Island Air, but their flights are very limited to the main Neighbor Islands.

6) Flying to Molokai and Lanai (and Kalaupapa, provided you are invited by a Kalaupapa resident) is a whole other discussion (btw, Hawaiian does not fly there).

7) A disadvantage of Go! is that their freq. traveler program is just with them, you cannot get miles credit for another airline when flying Go!. In contrast, Hawaiian has partnerships with other airlines. But the number of miles is small between the islands, 500 max, so it is not that big of a deal in my opinion.

8) If you have to check in your luggage, make sure to check the policies and rates for each airline, those change frequently. (I fly with carry-on, so don't pay attention to fees related to checked in luggage.)

Last edited by Coconut Travel Hawaii; Dec 13, 09 at 1:58 pm

Search this Thread