Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Hawaii
Reload this Page >

Preferred Carrier East Coast to HNL?

Old Nov 28, 09, 3:15 pm
Original Poster

Hi,

New registered member here, but frequent lurker for years. I'm taking a family of 4 to Honolulu for 7 days in July 2010 for a family reunion. I have 3 or 4 options for carriers out of BDL/MHT/BOS with only one stop outbound. I haven't found a large price difference in flights out of the three departure airports listed above so I'm probably going to make my decision based on in-flight services/comfort/planes. Coach service.

My choices:
AA out of ORD (most convenient times)
Delta out of ATL
CO out of EWR
US out of CLT (intrigued by new service, cheap 1st class tixs from MHT)

In terms of services (entertainment, seats, food, plane type, etc...) which airline would you fly and why? Should I be considering something that I'm missing? I don't belong to any FF program so I plan to join whatever airline's program I end up flying. Advice?
Old Nov 29, 09, 8:40 am

I would look at *total* travel time--and favor the quickest route. Then consider the carrier that offers free meals. Which airport is most convenient to home? After a red-eye flight back you want to make things as easy as possible. That said, sign up for sale notices, check freqently for price changes, and get a credit card that offers miles and use it for your purchase. And have fun!
Old Nov 29, 09, 10:40 am

Programs: CO Gold; SPG Gold***; AvisFirst;
I've done the co nonstop in coach - the 764 has the best coach seating in the CO fleet (no flames - I know that isn't much). You do get meals, and it is nonstop.

However, I usually take connecting flights outbound in order to arrive earlier in the day (connecting to Maui). Return is usually the nonstop redeye back to ewr. I also do revup (buy up to available BF seating) when available, especially on that redeye.
Old Nov 29, 09, 2:12 pm
Original Poster

Great advice. Looks like I will be leaving out of BDL. I like the Sheraton inside Bradley and they have pkgs with 7 days parking for cheap.

Shortest total flight times appear to be either AA via Chicago or Delta via ATL. I would like a personal video screen which Delta has on their A330 which is currently flying that route. I don't think AA's 767 has the individual video screens. Does CO offer a personal video screen on the EWR to HNL flight in coach?
Old Nov 29, 09, 3:07 pm

Programs: CO Gold; SPG Gold***; AvisFirst;
Originally Posted by ccc8008 View Post
Great advice. Looks like I will be leaving out of BDL. I like the Sheraton inside Bradley and they have pkgs with 7 days parking for cheap.

Shortest total flight times appear to be either AA via Chicago or Delta via ATL. I would like a personal video screen which Delta has on their A330 which is currently flying that route. I don't think AA's 767 has the individual video screens. Does CO offer a personal video screen on the EWR to HNL flight in coach?
Yes - you get personal video on the 764 via either EWR or IAH. Unfortunately, it's the older system that's on a 2 1/2 hour loop vs. the newer VOD.

They do list the currently available movies/tv shows on co.com if the video content makes a difference to your choice of airline.
Old Nov 29, 09, 9:09 pm

Programs: AA, DL, HA, WN, UA, B6, KX, Amtrak, HHonors Silver, SPG
Looks like I will be leaving out of BDL.
Have traveled since 1998 out of BDL to Hawaii(on AA, CO, US, UA and connections sometimes to HA). Second the motion on CO. You would take a 1 hour flight on an Embraer RJ135 or RJ145 commuter jet to Newark, then board the 767 to Honolulu(11 hours out, a bit faster coming back due to the jet stream). You are welcomed on board with Hawaiian videos on the screen and Hawaiian music is playing. Trust me, you'll like this ride

Advantage of CO is fewer connections, and included food service (a rarity on domestic airlines these days, CO and HA are 2 notable exceptions). Note you can also take the Amtrak Northeast Regional train to the Newark Airport monorail station...CO has a code-share alliance with Amtrak. Suggest also bringing books/magazines (or buy at the airport) to supplement the seat back video.
Old Nov 29, 09, 9:32 pm
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Location: Honolulu, Hawaiʻi [+MKK4 EBBER R577 EDSEL R577 ELKEY EXERT]
Originally Posted by GadgetKen View Post
Advantage of CO is fewer connections, and included food service (a rarity on domestic airlines these days, CO and HA are 2 notable exceptions). Note you can also take the Amtrak Northeast Regional train to the Newark Airport monorail station...CO has a code-share alliance with Amtrak. Suggest also bringing books/magazines (or buy at the airport) to supplement the seat back video.
FWIW, Delta offers comp meals to Hawaii on the long haul flights (ATL-HNL and MSP-HNL).

That said, my vote would still be for CO.
Old Nov 29, 09, 9:38 pm

Programs: US2, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by slippahs View Post
FWIW, Delta offers comp meals to Hawaii on the long haul flights (ATL-HNL and MSP-HNL).

That said, my vote would still be for CO.
As does US in coach on the CLT-HNL flight.

I am curious about the "cheap 1st class tixs from MHT" that the OP found on US - I didn't see anything under $1500 with a cursory look on ITA.
Old Nov 29, 09, 10:54 pm

Programs: AA, DL, HA, WN, UA, B6, KX, Amtrak, HHonors Silver, SPG
Originally Posted by vysean View Post

I am curious about the "cheap 1st class tixs from MHT" that the OP found on US - I didn't see anything under $1500 with a cursory look on ITA.
Maybe the OP found a consolidator or auction fare? Sometimes excellent deals that way, but often with lots of restrictions and hefty change fees.

Surprised on the DL and US free coach meals on the long hauls to Hawaii. Yeah, it's just a small perk, but I miss complimentary full meal service on domestic flights (other than in the rare instance I get bumped to first class which more often includes meal service; happened on an AA LAX to LIH flight last year). More often wind up on 3 or 4 connecting flights to Hawaii from BDL.
Old Nov 30, 09, 11:37 am

Originally Posted by GadgetKen View Post
...Surprised on the DL and US free coach meals on the long hauls to Hawaii. Yeah, it's just a small perk, but I miss complimentary full meal service on domestic flights...
We flew DL ATL-HNL last month, and the plane was great, food was fair, service better than usual. Snack also served about an hour from HNL. Not such a small perk when they run out of food for purchase on other carriers. It was one of our better flights. And they thanked us for flying Northwestdelta!!
Old Nov 30, 09, 6:12 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by vysean View Post

For only the outbound portion of my trip MHT-CLT-HNL, US had a first class fare of $739. Return Coach for $479 = $1218 total fare.
Old Nov 30, 09, 6:17 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Orchids View Post
We flew DL ATL-HNL last month, and the plane was great, food was fair, service better than usual. Snack also served about an hour from HNL. Not such a small perk when they run out of food for purchase on other carriers. It was one of our better flights. And they thanked us for flying Northwestdelta!!
I'm seriously leaning toward DL. I just hope they don't change the plane type if I book 8 months out. I really want to fly the A330 from ATL to HNL.
Old Nov 30, 09, 9:52 pm

I'm seriously leaning toward DL. I just hope they don't change the plane type if I book 8 months out. I really want to fly the A330 from ATL to HNL.
I am doing this route in Dec with the A330. I will report back on details. It seems the seat pitch is a little longer on that plane. That was the deciding factor between that and other flight options (747's etc).

The comp food in Y is a pleasant surprise.
Old Nov 30, 09, 11:04 pm
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Location: Honolulu, Hawaiʻi [+MKK4 EBBER R577 EDSEL R577 ELKEY EXERT]
DL ran the B747-400 on this route during the summer, so chances are they might do it again next summer. If you really want to fly the A333, I'd try to route through MSP where the A333 operated the MSP-HNL route. But you risk the chance that the route may canceled.
Originally Posted by Klarity7 View Post
I am doing this route in Dec with the A330. I will report back on details. It seems the seat pitch is a little longer on that plane. That was the deciding factor between that and other flight options (747's etc).

The comp food in Y is a pleasant surprise.
Seat pitch is better only in the forward Y cabin. Listen to Seatguru on the video boxes, as they really hamper the legroom.

Search this Thread