Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > America - USA > Hawaii
Reload this Page >

Best grocery store between LIH and Poipu

Old Oct 29, 09, 11:46 am
Original Poster

From google maps there appear to be a fair number of different grocery store options that are more or less on the way from LIH airport to Poipu.

I haven't been back to Kauai in 8 years, and never been there with kids before, so I'm hoping for suggestions on what the best (largest, best selection) grocery store is to stop at on the way down to Poipu.

Thanks for any tips,
Bob
Old Oct 29, 09, 11:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
Costco is probably your best bet. Other than that, there's a Food Lion (I think that's the name) in Koloa across from the post office.

Others may be more familiar than I with the area, but I've hit both those stores.
Old Oct 29, 09, 12:27 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Mary2e View Post
Costco is probably your best bet. Other than that, there's a Food Lion (I think that's the name) in Koloa across from the post office.

Others may be more familiar than I with the area, but I've hit both those stores.
I thought about Costco, I'm just not sure I need their size of staples for a 5 day visit. At least in the Bay Area, they sell very LARGE containers of peanut butter, 24-36 eggs per package, 2 large loaves of bread in one bundle, etc.

But if that's the best option I'll be sure to bring my Costco card with me.

thanks,
Bob
Old Oct 29, 09, 12:31 pm

It may not be your best option for 5 days, but it's still good for other things, like souvies, etc.

The supermarket in Koloa might be your best bet.
Old Oct 29, 09, 12:47 pm

Programs: MR LT Titanium, IHG Plat., SWA A-List,UA Premier Silver, & PA/OH Turnpike Million Miler
There is a Star Market on the main road a little past the Marriott on the way to the turnoff to Poipu. When we were there about 2 years ago, tt was well stocked and was generally appealing. From their web site, details as follows:

3-2600 Kaumualii Highway
Lihue, HI 96766
Open 6am - 11pm
Ph: 808-245-7777
[email protected]

--Jon
Old Oct 29, 09, 12:52 pm
Original Poster

thanks for the suggestions.

I guess the main thing I'm trying to decide is if Costco or a grocery store in Lihue is enough better than the store in Koloa that we should stop there before driving down to Poipu, given that I'll have a 6 year old and an 8 year old who just spent 6 hours on a plane.

If the store in Koloa is fairly comparable to the Lihue options, then we can head to our condo, and the kids can go to the beach with one parent while the other does a grocery run back to Koloa. We just don't want to do a Costco/grocery run back to Lihue, since that's a good 30-45 minutes as I recall. If Lihue is the much better store, then we'll suck it up and stop with the kids on the way from the airport.

thanks,
Bob
Old Oct 29, 09, 12:55 pm

For 5 days, does it really matter if it's a better store ?

Seriously, given that you have 2 young children, I would suggest the store in Koloa for the reasons you mention. I don't think it's worth it to drive back to Costco. Traffic can be pretty heavy at times.

ILuvParis has a condo in Poipu, and I'm sure he'll add his two cents when he sees this post, but I do know he uses that store frequently for items not available, or too large, from Costco.

Depending upon where your condo is, it's a really quick drive to the center of Koloa - no more than 5 or 10 minutes, IIRC.
Old Oct 29, 09, 12:56 pm

Programs: MR LT Titanium, IHG Plat., SWA A-List,UA Premier Silver, & PA/OH Turnpike Million Miler
Originally Posted by bpratt View Post
thanks for the suggestions.

I guess the main thing I'm trying to decide is if Costco or a grocery store in Lihue is enough better than the store in Koloa that we should stop there before driving down to Poipu, given that I'll have a 6 year old and an 8 year old who just spent 6 hours on a plane.

Sorry I don't have any experience with the store in Koloa. For me I had been doing runs to Kapaa to the Safeway for groceries before we discovered the Star Market midway in our trip. Perhaps other folks on FT have had experience with both. Calling ILuvParis who seems to have a lot of Kauai experience....

--Jon

P.S. Looks like Mary2e and I replied at the same time, with roughly the same advice :-)

Last edited by Jon Maiman; Oct 29, 09 at 7:48 pm
Old Oct 29, 09, 3:51 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Mary2e View Post
For 5 days, does it really matter if it's a better store ?

Depending upon where your condo is, it's a really quick drive to the center of Koloa - no more than 5 or 10 minutes, IIRC.
Hey, I'm a spoiled Northern California foodie, so of course it matters! I want a Draeger's equivalent. [For non-SF Bay Area types, Draeger's is a very good, very expensive grocery store. If it's food-related and they don't sell it, you were mistaken about needing it]
:-) :-)

Yup, unless things changed radically since 2000 it was not a long drive at all from Pe'e road back to Koloa, so I'll probably just plan for that.

thanks again,
Bob
Old Oct 29, 09, 5:54 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA: 2 MM
Sorry, no fancy supermarkets on Kauai - but if EXPENSIVE is what you want, no problem!

The Star Market is in the Kukui Grove Mall - on the west side. I'm not a fan, so we seldom go there, but it is probably as close to fancy as you're gonna get.

Generally, when we arrive we go to the Big Save (more popularly called - by me anyway - the Big Ripoff) in Koloa (which may be what Mary2e was referring to when she said Food Lion?) to pick up a couple things for breakfast the following day (unless Mary is around and insists on taking us to breakfast ). It's just a couple of miles from Poipu. It's also where we pick up a quick item or two - a loaf of bread, 1/2 gallon of milk, etc. when in a hurry. There is also Sueoka's Grocery store in Koloa.

Then, the following morning we take a styrofoam cooler and head to the Safeway in Kapaa - we have a Safeway card so we get all the discounts and UA miles. (The cooler is for any frozen items that we may want to keep that way if we get stuck in traffic on the way home. You can buy a cooler and ice at the Safeway.) If we're there for a longer stay, we'll also stop at the Costco on the way back from the Safeway. They are building a Safeway "Lifestyle" store near the Costco on Puhi Road, so we're pretty excited about that.

The Safeway is probably going to have the largest selection too.

Last edited by ILuvParis; Oct 29, 09 at 6:04 pm
Old Oct 31, 09, 9:18 pm

Kauai groceries

I suggest that you stop at Costco. Get the kids a hot dog, pizza, or ice cream at the food court while you shop. The selection of foods is much lower and the prices are much higher near Poipu. Even if you end up leaving half the food for the maid, you'll still probably save money at Costco. I think you'll find the milk, meat, fish, produce, etc. cheaper and higher quality at Costco than just about anywhere on the island. Fruit, other than pineapples, which you may want to get at Costco, should be purchased at a farmer's market.

For items that Costco doesn't carry, or if you want just a small jar of peanut butter or other items, you may want to stop at the Star Market in the shopping center across the street from Costco.

3-2600 Kaumualii Hwy # 2039, Lihue, HI‎ - (808) 245-7777‎

Buy items that you run out of, forgot to buy in Lihue, or need only a very small quantity of near Poipu at

Big Save Inc: Big Save Markets‎ - more info
5516 Koloa Rd, Koloa, HI‎ - (808) 742-1614‎ - 6.8 mi SW

Poipu Shopping Village: Whalers General Store‎ - more info
2360 Kiahuna Plantation Dr, Koloa, HI‎ - (808) 742-9431‎
Old Nov 2, 09, 7:42 pm

Programs: Hyatt Explorist ex-Diamond; Marriott Platinum Life; Hilton, AA, United ex-status
I want a Draeger's equivalent.
Except for Costco and Wal-Mart, the grocery situation on Kauai has not changed much since 2000, back before the coming of the bulldozer. Kauai is close to being turned into Maui as it is. Even Koloa is on the verge of being paved over. The best part of Sueoka's is it is funky, frumpy, little, and out of another time. They don't need to pave paradise to put up a parking lot.

Last edited by jayer; Nov 2, 09 at 7:52 pm
Old Nov 2, 09, 9:27 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jayer View Post
Except for Costco and Wal-Mart, the grocery situation on Kauai has not changed much since 2000, back before the coming of the bulldozer. Kauai is close to being turned into Maui as it is. Even Koloa is on the verge of being paved over. The best part of Sueoka's is it is funky, frumpy, little, and out of another time. They don't need to pave paradise to put up a parking lot.
Don't get me wrong. I haven't been back to Kauai since 2000, before my first child was born, and I hope it hasn't changed too much. I definitely like the relatively rural feel. It's just that now I have to deal with kids with the usual picky food preferences.

Of course, the other problem is that pre-9/11 I would just carry on a few good bottles of wine for the vacation. Now I either have to check them or pay the rather high local rates for them.

Thanks,
Bob
Old Nov 3, 09, 1:58 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA: 2 MM
Don't get me wrong. I haven't been back to Kauai since 2000, before my first child was born, and I hope it hasn't changed too much. I definitely like the relatively rural feel. It's just that now I have to deal with kids with the usual picky food preferences.

Of course, the other problem is that pre-9/11 I would just carry on a few good bottles of wine for the vacation. Now I either have to check them or pay the rather high local rates for them.

Thanks,
Bob
I think most of the changes have been on the south side - around Poipu and retail west of Lihue. Thankfully, the recession has really slowed things down. It is still nothing like Maui and still nothing can be built taller than the highest palm tree. The island remains, basically, like one small town.

The Costco is good for cheaper wine. I love the La Brea Bakery bread, which I'll be headed out to get if and when the rain stops or slows down enough for me to get to the car without getting drenched.
Old Nov 3, 09, 2:00 pm

Originally Posted by ILuvParis View Post
I'll be headed out to get if and when the rain stops or slows down enough for me to get to the car without getting drenched.

We have already been drenched for 6 days straight on vacation this year.

Please tell me this is just one bad day....

Search this Thread
Search Engine: