Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Hawaii-Based Airlines
Reload this Page >

Rumored: go! to shut down in February?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 30, 2008, 2:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Location: Honolulu, Hawaiʻi [+MKK4 EBBER R577 EDSEL R577 ELKEY EXERT]

Speculating is fun ain't it?

Rumor has it that go! plans on shutting down in February just in time to beat its bond payment deadlines. While I have no idea whether the rumor is substantiated, it's just a rumor so make what you want of it.

Rumor also has it that go! will simply sit on the Aloha name and bid it at a higher price when the right buyer comes around to make a quick (and dirty) profit.

Last edited by slippahs; Nov 30, 2008 at 3:34 am Reason: add more sense
Old Nov 30, 2008, 8:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL SkyClub Lifer
This could be interesting...

If go! is rebadged as Aloha Airlines, then shuts down... it'd still be a couple incarnations short of the mark set by Pan Am.
Old Nov 30, 2008, 1:48 pm

Programs: Foodland Maika'i Plastic Card, DL GM when it meant something
How rumory of a rumor is it?

I have five tickets for mid-February that I won't be using and I'd like to get my money back.
Old Nov 30, 2008, 2:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by timstravel
How rumory of a rumor is it?

I have five tickets for mid-February that I won't be using and I'd like to get my money back.
Rumored from just a few people I know who are in the know for airlines in Hawaii. I wouldn't count on anything and I'd expect an announcement from Mesa that they were shutting down go!'s operation would come unexpectedly and unannounced.
Old Dec 1, 2008, 12:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
Fortunately, there are plenty of excess regional jets around (yes, I know that they aren't very comfortable). But, if go! were to GO out of business, then Republic could easily add more RJ's to their codeshare. Other regional jet providers might jump in the market as well. Happily, I don't think that interisland service would suffer for long...
Old Dec 2, 2008, 2:49 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Would be nice to see YV go! bybye! Maybe a nice Valentine's present to Hawaii~
Old Dec 2, 2008, 7:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL SkyClub Lifer
Actually Mokulele is using the Embraer E-Jets, which are nicer than the ERJ/CRJ ones. If go! does go, I would really rather see CRJ-200s recycled into soda cans than re-used.
Old Dec 2, 2008, 1:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM, AS MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond
Can't see any sense in paying AQ for their name, and then promptly shutting down.
Old Dec 2, 2008, 1:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by gemac
Can't see any sense in paying AQ for their name, and then promptly shutting down.
You get the name at a cheaper price, shut down go! operations, then sell the name at a higher price to the highest bidder--umm, let's try Mokulele?--thereby netting your parent company a nice profit.
Old Dec 2, 2008, 10:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM, AS MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by slippahs
You get the name at a cheaper price, shut down go! operations, then sell the name at a higher price to the highest bidder--umm, let's try Mokulele?--thereby netting your parent company a nice profit.
Is Mokulele able to afford to pay a nice profit over the $2 million investment? Still not adding up, sounds more like wishful thinking to me.
Old Dec 2, 2008, 10:49 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Whatever Mesa's ultimate hope, we can be sure that it is something tawdry and unscathed by the Hawai`ian values it claims to be such an exemplar of.
Old Dec 3, 2008, 9:11 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, Hilton Diamond, MR Plat, PC Plat
I wouldn't count go! out just yet.. Mesa runs pretty damn strong in the mainland.

They might be having growing pains, bout leaving HI will probably not happen. And that's a good thing for the people of Hawaii!

Just wait til go! stats flying HNL-LAX, that's something to worry about! Or if go! partners with Southwest. Lookout!
Old Dec 3, 2008, 10:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by DKorda
I wouldn't count go! out just yet.. Mesa runs pretty damn strong in the mainland.

They might be having growing pains, bout leaving HI will probably not happen. And that's a good thing for the people of Hawaii!

Just wait til go! stats flying HNL-LAX, that's something to worry about! Or if go! partners with Southwest. Lookout!
At $0.42 per share, we'll see what happens...
Old Dec 4, 2008, 12:25 am
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by DKorda
Lots of other kama`aina (and I assume you are one?) would differ, though, and think go!/Mesa has not been good for Hawai`i at all.
Old Dec 4, 2008, 3:59 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by slippahs
At $0.42 per share, we'll see what happens...
ouch! Didn't realize they dropped that low... so how much does it cost for controlling interest in the airline then (sorry - just watched the Aviator...) not worth the fuel to send the back to a boneyard in AZ or NV IMHO...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.