Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Hawaii-Based Airlines
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Hawaiian Airlines A330" thread

Consolidated "Hawaiian Airlines A330" thread

Old Sep 1, 15, 10:52 pm
Original Poster

Programs: HA Pualani Platinum, National EC Executive, UA & AAdvantage
Originally Posted by FBWFTW View Post
Maybe when they get the A330NEO's!

On another note, in dealing with HA today, a family member of mine noticed the itinerary for our December JFK-HNL trip has changed, adding about an hour onto the flight. I'm curious to see if they're slowing the plane, padding the schedule or just plain need the time!
Our previous schedule was:
Depart JFK-10:00
Arrive HNL-15:55 (last time it was ~1545 on the gate) flight time of 10:55
(In practice on flightaware it seems to be roughly 10:30-10:45 at the most)
Today on the app and the new confirmation it reads:
Depart JFK- 10:00a
Arrive HNL- 4:20p
Flight time 11:20! I hope they're just padding or maybe it's a time difference thing since HST is 5 hours behind in the winter!
I think it is just padding because of the strong winds from the winter weather. Not a problem for the bigger jets that have the fuel capacity, but slows things down nonetheless.
Old Sep 6, 15, 4:59 am

Programs: TrueBlue/Hawaiian Miles
Originally Posted by HA/UA_Flyer View Post
I think it is just padding because of the strong winds from the winter weather. Not a problem for the bigger jets that have the fuel capacity, but slows things down nonetheless.
I heard thru the avgeek grapevines that it's both block time adjustments/padding and also potentially a new Cost Index for the aircraft(for the non-avgeek types that don't know-cost index goes in the flight computers and gives the aircraft it's speed/fuel economy for a given # with a CI of 0 being super efficient and a CI of 100 being Max Speed) which in this case would slow the aircraft down in the cruise. In my search for a link, I found this cool thread about EK's cost index of 400!!!! http://www.airliners.net/aviation-forums/tech_ops/read.main/358596/

Talk about burning fuel!
Old Sep 6, 15, 11:45 pm

Extra Comfort 34J HNL to Haneda good seat?

Hello, I've been researching all over and am trying to find the best non first class seat for HNL to Haneda. I think I finally settled on seat 34J (I'll be flying alone) but when I saw a picture of the seat on seat guru it looks like there is no personal video system. The other seats have a screen on the back of the seat in front of them, but since this is a exit row seat there is no seat. The picture shows that there is no screen that comes out the armrest or whatever. I've seen other pictures where the emergency rows have 1 video screen on the wall for these rows. How does that work, only one tv for the 2 or more seats? Is there anyone here that has flown in this seat that can clue me in? I can't sleep on planes and would be miserable if there's nothing to watch. thanks you!

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Sep 7, 15 at 3:56 am Reason: moved into existing thread
Old Sep 7, 15, 1:13 am

Programs: AA EXP, HA Pua Plat
All the A330 seats have personal video screens, including row 34. They do flip up from the armrests in that row. The shared screens mounted on the bulkhead are mainly for playing the safety video and announcements during times when the personal screens are retracted. When they aren't being used for those things, they show maps, flight stats, and slideshows.

Row 34 is a fine seat but wouldn't be my personal choice because:

-No floor storage during take-off and landing, so no room for a 2nd small carry on

-Adjacent to restroom (where people tend to congregate)

-It's towards the back of the plane

If you pick an Extra Comfort seat at the front, you get served first and you're among the first off the plane. If you pick row 11 you're at the very front of coach, the seat in front of you is first/business class. Tons of legroom, floor storage under the first class seat, and you're close to the restroom but not right next to it.

Last edited by Kumulani; Sep 7, 15 at 1:21 am
Old Sep 14, 15, 10:13 am

Originally Posted by Kumulani View Post
All the A330 seats have personal video screens, including row 34. They do flip up from the armrests in that row. The shared screens mounted on the bulkhead are mainly for playing the safety video and announcements during times when the personal screens are retracted. When they aren't being used for those things, they show maps, flight stats, and slideshows.

Row 34 is a fine seat but wouldn't be my personal choice because:

-No floor storage during take-off and landing, so no room for a 2nd small carry on

-Adjacent to restroom (where people tend to congregate)

-It's towards the back of the plane

If you pick an Extra Comfort seat at the front, you get served first and you're among the first off the plane. If you pick row 11 you're at the very front of coach, the seat in front of you is first/business class. Tons of legroom, floor storage under the first class seat, and you're close to the restroom but not right next to it.
I second this opinion! Row 11 is the way to go!
Old Sep 23, 15, 11:21 am

HA's 22nd Airbus A330 N379HA (Currently F-WWTK)

Here's some pics of the shiny green brand spanking new, soon to be delivered N379HA!! I'm sure SOMEONE might know the delivery date... But anyhow- here's HA's newest A330 doing testing in TLS... First flight was ~ the 15th according to the TLS watch website!

Images are courtesy of the Airbus-heads in Toulouse and their flickr accounts and the TLS watch page http://www.digitalairliners.com/TLSWatch If you like Airbus/Airbii/Airbuses give them a follow!

Old Oct 22, 15, 9:46 am

N379HA Delivery/Lie flat seats coming!

Got a pic from "330/340" on flikr of HA's newest A330 all painted up and waiting to be flown to paradise! I can't tell the name yet.
If the pattern holds, some lucky folks out of SEA or PDX will probably be the first ones to get to experience the new plane smell!

No lie flats in this one yet though! Coming soon! http://skift.com/2015/10/20/hawaiian-airs-new-premium-cabin-gets-lie-flat-seats-and-more-room/#1

Last edited by FBWFTW; Oct 22, 15 at 9:47 am Reason: Bonus if anyone can zoom in and highlight the name!
Old Oct 16, 16, 2:08 pm

Programs: WN A-List, AA, UA
Anyone recently take HA445 (HNL > AKL) in first? I have a flight coming up in January and hope that it's in the newly redesigned cabin
Old Oct 16, 16, 4:02 pm
azj

Originally Posted by nakataboi View Post
Anyone recently take HA445 (HNL > AKL) in first? I have a flight coming up in January and hope that it's in the newly redesigned cabin
Starting in December, AKL will indeed see the new lie flat seats and the other new additions to the product (linens, serviceware, amenity kits).
Old Oct 16, 16, 4:18 pm

Programs: WN A-List, AA, UA
Originally Posted by azj View Post
Starting in December, AKL will indeed see the new lie flat seats and the other new additions to the product (linens, serviceware, amenity kits).
great to hear! Thanks for the confirmation
Old Oct 17, 16, 1:46 pm

Programs: UA, HA
Does anyone have an more current lie-flat roll out schedule? (by route? by total number of jets? other?) I see "December" quoted from 2nd Quarter posts, but not much more than that.

Thanks!
Old Oct 17, 16, 3:32 pm
azj

Originally Posted by TheTakeOffRush View Post
Does anyone have an more current lie-flat roll out schedule? (by route? by total number of jets? other?) I see "December" quoted from 2nd Quarter posts, but not much more than that.

Thanks!
I believe HA states there would be 6 or 7 in service by the end of the year. I think that number is dependent on how fast the facility at KPAE can finish them off. It seems like each plane will take about 2-3 weeks to modify. By only committing to 4 routes, they have flexibility if the program hits a snag.

The recently announced dedicated routes would only take 3 planes (NRT, SYD, AKL, BNE), so there will likely either be more announcements or they're building in flexibility to ensure those routes indeed have the lie flat a/c available, should one go tech somewhere. That said, if they don't commit to more guaranteed cities, the balance of the newly configured planes will continue to "surprise and delight" on random routes.
Old Oct 21, 16, 12:23 pm

Originally Posted by azj View Post
The recently announced dedicated routes would only take 3 planes (NRT, SYD, AKL, BNE), so there will likely either be more announcements or they're building in flexibility to ensure those routes indeed have the lie flat a/c available, should one go tech somewhere. That said, if they don't commit to more guaranteed cities, the balance of the newly configured planes will continue to "surprise and delight" on random routes.
Do you recall where that article was? I have a ANA Y Seat for April HNL -> TYO since their J seats are just recliner, but if HA gets the lie down by April I am willing to switch.
Old Oct 21, 16, 12:26 pm
azj

Originally Posted by ctruzzi View Post
Do you recall where that article was? I have a ANA Y Seat for April HNL -> TYO since their J seats are just recliner, but if HA gets the lie down by April I am willing to switch.
Yes, it's all over the website as well as the press. Here's a link to the section on the website that covers the new premium cabin.

https://www.hawaiianairlines.com/our.../premium-cabin
Old Oct 27, 16, 8:37 pm

Programs: VA WP, NZ G, CI Em, QF G
what would people suggest taking if your only option on an HNL-SYD A332 was 14E or 34A and the people on either side for both seats aren't part of your group?
I'm 6'1" and can't remember (or find good photos) of what the exit door bulge on the 332 looks like for seat 34, concerns on seat 14 is that it's a middle and not sure how close the bulkhead wall is to the seat.

Search this Thread