HA renumbered flights

Old Dec 22, 2006, 8:18 pm
Original Poster

Programs: HA Pualani Platinum, UA Premier, CO, AQ
HA renumbered flights

I noticed Hawaiian seems to be renumbering some on their flights. Is this due to a tardy schedule from a shortage of planes? On Thursday, 12/21/06, there was no flight 36 to Phoenix at the 3:20 pm departure time, but there was a Flight 1036 that left 7 hours later at 10:20pm. Sounds like a technique to keep their on-time record alive.
Old Dec 22, 2006, 9:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Location: Honolulu, Hawaiʻi [+MKK4 EBBER R577 EDSEL R577 ELKEY EXERT]
Originally Posted by cdavishi
I noticed Hawaiian seems to be renumbering some on their flights. Is this due to a tardy schedule from a shortage of planes? On Thursday, 12/21/06, there was no flight 36 to Phoenix at the 3:20 pm departure time, but there was a Flight 1036 that left 7 hours later at 10:20pm. Sounds like a technique to keep their on-time record alive.
This is actually common practice for most airlines, and something not just limited to HA.
Old Dec 23, 2006, 4:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL SkyClub Lifer
Originally Posted by slippahs
This is actually common practice for most airlines, and something not just limited to HA.
So would 1036 show up as on-time, but 36 as cancelled, then? I'm not sure whether keeping your on-time numbers high is worth having a high number of cancelled flights.
Old Dec 30, 2006, 8:43 pm

We happened to notice several more serious flight delays and renumberings this weekend (yesterday, today and tomorrow). It looks like quite a mess at least on the HNL-LAX runs, and I'm glad that we aren't flying.
Old Jan 2, 2007, 1:33 am

Programs: AS MVP, HH Diamond
I took flight 36 to PHX on the day before thanksigving.. flight 26 to PDX leaves and 35 minutes before that. We're waiting for our luggage at the carousel in PHX, and a box of 10 pineapples goes by..(not the ridiculously priced airport pineapples) I look at the tag and it's labeled flight 26 PDX. I bet someone wasn't too happy to not have their fresh pineapple to share with family on thanksgiving. While it's clearly different, I think it might be to HA's benefit to not have closely numbered flight numbers to destinations with close airport identifiers. I bet this isn't the first time that this has happened.
Old Jan 2, 2007, 4:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Location: Honolulu, Hawaiʻi [+MKK4 EBBER R577 EDSEL R577 ELKEY EXERT]
Originally Posted by Ripper3785
I took flight 36 to PHX on the day before thanksigving.. flight 26 to PDX leaves and 35 minutes before that. We're waiting for our luggage at the carousel in PHX, and a box of 10 pineapples goes by..(not the ridiculously priced airport pineapples) I look at the tag and it's labeled flight 26 PDX. I bet someone wasn't too happy to not have their fresh pineapple to share with family on thanksgiving. While it's clearly different, I think it might be to HA's benefit to not have closely numbered flight numbers to destinations with close airport identifiers. I bet this isn't the first time that this has happened.
Yikes. Not to mention the close spelling of PDX and PHX. I had to give your post a second glance to make sure that they both didn't say PDX, and I'm sure the baggage handler in HNL would have had to do the same to make sure.
Old Jan 2, 2007, 4:12 am

Sometimes airlines renumber flights when they are delayed so that they don't conflict with flights early the next morning. (ir, they don't want two XX111 flights turning up soon after each other as pax and awaiting visitors get confused)

Maybe that's what happened?
Old Jan 2, 2007, 6:51 pm

Programs: AS MVP, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by slippahs
...and I'm sure the baggage handler in HNL would have had to do the same to make sure.
Or rather, that they didn't look twice. It's a nice trifecta, close departure time, one digit diference in flight number, one letter difference in airport code.
Old Jan 3, 2007, 4:19 am

Programs: Hawaiian Airlines HawaiianMiles, United MP
HA also uses 4-digit flight numbers during the busy holiday season on its interisland flights as well -- they end up being extra flights on top of their regular schedule.

Several examples I saw were HA1113 HNL-LIH and HA1102 HNL-ITO...
Old Jan 3, 2007, 8:18 am
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
Aloha, and welcome to FlyerTalk, ah7e! ^

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.