Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Hawaii-Based Airlines
Reload this Page >

Question about the new Boeing 717 delivery

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 21, 2001, 8:11 am
Original Poster

This may be a dumb question, but it's one that has been bugging me. How does Boeing get the 717 to HNL? According to Boeing's own web site, http://www.boeing.com/commercial/717/717technical.html , the plane has a maximum range of 2060 nm. From Long Beach, it's 2226 nm, from SEA even further. Is there a closer location to HNL they can route the deliveries through?

Just wondering...

cethen
Old Nov 21, 2001, 9:23 am
DH

There was an article about it in one of the aviation magazines a months back. What they did was, simply remove the some seats and install fuel tanks in the main cabin. If I can remember the name of magazine...

------------------
ValueConsumer.com Home of Tripple Dipping Online Shopping
Old Nov 21, 2001, 9:27 am

Programs: CO Silver
It was in Airways magazine.
Old Nov 21, 2001, 9:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
Bear in mind that the bird probably won't be carrying any pax, accompanying luggage, catering or cargo or the delivery flight. That's a savings of at least 15,000lbs (maybe even another 10,000 lbs or more). That should be more than enough for the additional miles, even if flying against prevailing winds.
Old Nov 21, 2001, 2:45 pm

Here is a photo of the extra fuel tanks.

Old Nov 23, 2001, 11:28 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the info and photos. Very cool!

cethen
Old Nov 26, 2001, 2:45 pm

Location: PHL/KOA - SU '03 M BB NCAA Champs/Phillies '08 WS Champs/Eagles '18 SB Champs
Programs: AA EXP (3MM)/HH Diamond
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by orix:
Here is a photo of the extra fuel tanks.</font>

Great photo, thanks for the link!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.