Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Hawaii-Based Airlines
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "HA trans-pac in F/J - meals, amenities, etc." thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Consolidated "HA trans-pac in F/J - meals, amenities, etc." thread

Search this Thread

Old Feb 5, 2012, 7:49 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Thought I'd chime in with my experience in January.

Flew 1st between HNL-SEA both directions.

I normally fly United - I fly them due to the fact I'm lifetime 1K - and if you are 1K you are virtually assured of a complimentary upgrade to First - United has issues, but ultimately free upgrades all the time means a lot to me.

Ok, back to Hawaiian.

About $330 each way to upgrade from coach to first. I thought that wasn't bad. Easy to upgrade on a Wednesday to Seattle - got the last seat on a Sunday back to HNL, it was a no show - think the weather helped, it snowed a lot the morning I left, almost missed the flight myself. I was persistent in SEA to get that seat.

Pre Departure. Offered sparkling wine, juice, or water. Nice.

Seat. It was a 767 both ways. Love the foot rest. It stops there. Wow, the seat is tight. Very tight.

Food. To SEA - they had this, pick 3 out of 5. Ranged from cheese, chicken salad, baby back ribs, salman, or sichuan eggplant with a bunch of other veggies. I got the sichuan eggplant. It was good. Not great - but good. Back from SEA it was a disappointment - expecting eggs or a real breakfast - it was a single choice grilled chicken island style. Really wanted a breakfast.

Entertainment. Gave me a video player - large selection. The bad, both directions, the first player didn't work - SEA/HNL return, took 3 players to get it to work - when it does, like it.

Service. Ouch. Had to beg it seemed to get a cocktail. Was very slow. I know your experience may vary - but sloooow.

Overall, was good - I still prefer my complimentary upgrades on United - but it was good on Hawaiian - get me bigger seats and a little more prompt service would have made it better.
Old Feb 6, 2012, 10:35 am

Programs: Ovaltine secret decoder club, Hilton Diamond, United 1K, Hawaiian air Gold, Starwood Gold
Originally Posted by billxmeredith
Thought I'd chime in with my experience in January.

Flew 1st between HNL-SEA both directions.

I normally fly United - I fly them due to the fact I'm lifetime 1K - and if you are 1K you are virtually assured of a complimentary upgrade to First - United has issues, but ultimately free upgrades all the time means a lot to me.

Ok, back to Hawaiian.

About $330 each way to upgrade from coach to first. I thought that wasn't bad. Easy to upgrade on a Wednesday to Seattle - got the last seat on a Sunday back to HNL, it was a no show - think the weather helped, it snowed a lot the morning I left, almost missed the flight myself. I was persistent in SEA to get that seat.

Pre Departure. Offered sparkling wine, juice, or water. Nice.

Seat. It was a 767 both ways. Love the foot rest. It stops there. Wow, the seat is tight. Very tight.

Food. To SEA - they had this, pick 3 out of 5. Ranged from cheese, chicken salad, baby back ribs, salman, or sichuan eggplant with a bunch of other veggies. I got the sichuan eggplant. It was good. Not great - but good. Back from SEA it was a disappointment - expecting eggs or a real breakfast - it was a single choice grilled chicken island style. Really wanted a breakfast.

Entertainment. Gave me a video player - large selection. The bad, both directions, the first player didn't work - SEA/HNL return, took 3 players to get it to work - when it does, like it.

Service. Ouch. Had to beg it seemed to get a cocktail. Was very slow. I know your experience may vary - but sloooow.

Overall, was good - I still prefer my complimentary upgrades on United - but it was good on Hawaiian - get me bigger seats and a little more prompt service would have made it better.
Thanks for your detailed comparison. I compare the two products often but i thank you for the review...and the validation of my similar thoughts.
Old May 5, 2013, 12:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
What is HA serving on your FC flight to Hawaii?

Could not find a master thread on this subject so thought I'd would start one. If one exists please merge.

What kind of food can I expect in First from the west coast to OGG? My flight (SEA>OGG and my first one with HA) will be at lunch time.

Mahalo.
Old May 5, 2013, 3:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Location: Honolulu, Hawaiʻi [+MKK4 EBBER R577 EDSEL R577 ELKEY EXERT]
FYI, Hawaiian puts up its menus online:

http://www.hawaiianairlines.com/serv...-flight-dining
Old May 5, 2013, 5:12 pm

Programs: AA PLT, AAdv since Day One
Originally Posted by slippahs
FYI, Hawaiian puts up its menus online:

http://www.hawaiianairlines.com/serv...-flight-dining
Thank you for the link. But I'd like to take exception to the accuracy of what HA states is available on Mainland-HNL flights in F. The lunch/dinner service in each direction states that you get your choice of two Main Course dishes. On two recent r/t's between JFK and HNL this past Dec and more recently in April, there was only one main dish offered, and fish was not one of them, just a choice between chicken and pasta. My point is only to say that what HA publishes and what is actually offered onboard can be different. YMMV.
Old May 5, 2013, 5:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Location: Honolulu, Hawaiʻi [+MKK4 EBBER R577 EDSEL R577 ELKEY EXERT]
Originally Posted by inlanikai
Thank you for the link. But I'd like to take exception to the accuracy of what HA states is available on Mainland-HNL flights in F. The lunch/dinner service in each direction states that you get your choice of two Main Course dishes. On two recent r/t's between JFK and HNL this past Dec and more recently in April, there was only one main dish offered, and fish was not one of them, just a choice between chicken and pasta. My point is only to say that what HA publishes and what is actually offered onboard can be different. YMMV.
Yes, as you can see, it was last updated in August 2012.
Old May 5, 2013, 7:28 pm

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Originally Posted by philemer
Could not find a master thread on this subject so thought I'd would start one. If one exists please merge.

What kind of food can I expect in First from the west coast to OGG? My flight (SEA>OGG and my first one with HA) will be at lunch time.

Mahalo.
If you wear a Boise State shirt, perhaps you will get no food

Seriously, the food will be superior to what you get on other first class domestic carriers. They will offer you maybe four choices, of which you select two. Enjoy the flight!
Old May 5, 2013, 8:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by slippahs
Yes, as you can see, it was last updated in August 2012.
Sad.

Any more meal reports?
Old May 5, 2013, 8:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by 747FC
If you wear a Boise State shirt, perhaps you will get no food

Seriously, the food will be superior to what you get on other first class domestic carriers. They will offer you maybe four choices, of which you select two. Enjoy the flight!
I'm looking for a U of H sweatshirt as we speak!!

Food choices are a good thing. Thanks!
Old May 6, 2013, 9:59 pm

Originally Posted by philemer
I'm looking for a U of H sweatshirt as we speak!!

Food choices are a good thing. Thanks!
Regardless of the shirt you wear, the flight attendants are the best in the business. So you have a great flight!
Old May 6, 2013, 10:20 pm

Programs: HA - Pualani Plat; Avis FIRST; Emerald Club Executive
Flew last month red-eye to LAX
Crab cake salad, Teri-beef sandwich (warm) & dessert
Drink service throughout the flight and once again in the morning.

Flight back home was a choice of appetizer, and one choice from two entrees and dessert.

Nothing like before where you would pick three out of five
Old Jul 10, 2013, 1:49 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Sixt Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Platinum, Avis First, Caesars TR Diamond, Mlife Gold
Is it true, that their J seats are just like domestic F, with no lie-flat option?
Old Jul 11, 2013, 11:06 am

Originally Posted by gkbiiii
Is it true, that their J seats are just like domestic F, with no lie-flat option?
Yes, for both their 767 and their A330 there is no lie-flat option. Since they use the same aircraft for both domestic and international F/J classes are identical. An aircraft could fly TPE/HNL then continue on to LAS that same day.
Old Jul 11, 2013, 11:45 am

Programs: AA Plat, DL, AS, UA, IHG Plat
How does the HA J product compare to international carriers that serve HNL? I think CI uses their A340 which has recliners. And JL and NH also use high density layouts non-lie flat J airplanes on services to HNL from Japan. Jetstar has recliner as well. NZ 767 is also recliner but HA doesn't fly to AKL. Not sure about KE.
Old Jul 11, 2013, 2:11 pm

Originally Posted by bzcat
HA doesn't fly to AKL.
HA flies back and forth to AKL.^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.