Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Hawaii-Based Airlines
Reload this Page >

HA- how to get FF tix on holiday week

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6, 2006, 6:47 am
Original Poster

I just registered on this site, first post! I hope you can help. I plan to take my family of 5 from SFO to Kona 12/23-12/30/06, trying to use AmEx miles. I will need to transfer the Amex miles to HA, then book the trip in one-way segments the day each segment loads. I believe, if I am to have any chance of getting FF seats at that busy time. I have a HA mileage account open, and I opened a HA Visa account last month. My questions are
1. Will I have to transfer my Amex miles well in advance of the day I hope to book the seats (331 days out for each segment)?
2. I wake up early and check availability 331 days out just for practice and less than 10% of the time do I see segments avail in coach for 17,500 miles. It's almost always 25,000 for coach, 30,000 miles for FC. Does that mean that some flights never have seats for 17,500 miles or am I not waking up early enough? This morning I was actually on line when the SFO-Kona flights for 12/3 were posted and still didn't see any for 17,500.
3. I read somewhere that registering for a HA visa would improve the FF availability, but I haven't noticed any change. How exactly is the FF mileage program going to know that I have a HA Visa now? Is this just a benefit if you call in to speak with someone or an online benefit?
Thank you everyone and anyone who can advise me.
Old Jan 6, 2006, 9:59 am

Programs: Hawaiian, American, America West
Hi, if I remember correctly, when I opened my Hawaiian Visa, when you log into your online account, there's a place to register your FF credit card so it's on file. Seems like it's pretty hard to find flights for 17,500 each way at any time of year, even far in advance. I've been trying for summer '06' for awhile.

BTW..in my searches, most flights show as 20,000 (instead of 25,000) miles each way, maybe that's because of the HA Visa status.

Last edited by ggflier; Jan 6, 2006 at 10:05 am
Old Jan 6, 2006, 10:55 am

not likely to happen for the 17.5k. if you can get 20k, i'd go for it. if they don't sell the seats, ha typically lowers the # of miles at the last minute (as in 24-48 hours before flight).
Old Jan 6, 2006, 12:35 pm
Original Poster

I called the Mileage service center today and the main problem is that they have not been notified by the bank of my new platinum Visa status. My filing the info online was not adequate. Hopefully by next week this problem should resolve, and I'll see the 20K option (if not the 17.5K) and more seats available.
In terms of transferring Amex points into Hawaiian airlines miles, is anyone aware of any glitches I am likely to encounter in terms of timing? I didn't really want to transfer them until I know I will be using them on Hawaiian for sure. How long will Hawaiian hold a one way reservation (or R/T) and is that enough time to get my Amex miles transferred? Also, has anyone noticed at what time of day the flights that are 331 days out are loaded for FF tix? Thanks so much for your help.
Old Jan 6, 2006, 1:39 pm

hawaiian usually hold's res. until midnight the next day, hawaii time. try it and you'll see. amex transfer never took too long - a few days as i recall (can't remember exactly since i use ha amex instead now). if you don't see 17.5's now, you won't see them until the very last minute. on that, i'm sure.
Old Jan 15, 2006, 7:45 pm
Original Poster

Now I am registered as a Platinum Visa HA cardholder, and I see lots of availability online for FF tix at 20K miles per segment. However, this appears to be a perk of online booking. I don't think I will get the same mileage level awards if I book by calling in and having the res held by the agent until the Amex miles get transferred in. So, do I bite the bullet and transfer 187K miles into HA from Amex next week (total of 200K to get 5 ff tix RT to Kona) and assume that those 20K award seats will be there for travel on Christmas week? I do not want to waste these Amex miles if there is an effective blackout of the dates I am travelling.
Old Jan 15, 2006, 7:49 pm

first, i'd be surprised is an agent would hold you res. much beyond what the computer does (next day midnight). then, if you see it there today for the time period you're needing, i'd expect it to be there in the few more days it will take to xfr. but i'm not sure you're saying you see if for those specific dates or you're just seeing 20k tix in general.
Old Jan 16, 2006, 7:04 am
Original Poster

I didn't realize there was an option online to hold for 1-2 days before ticketing. Good to know.
The dates I need are over 331 days out, will be loading for outbound in 10 days, but I am planning ahead. I see 20K availability for Thanksgiving week, a high demand week, so am guessing I'll see some for Xmas week as well.
Old Jan 16, 2006, 1:15 pm

Originally Posted by jan250
I didn't realize there was an option online to hold for 1-2 days before ticketing. Good to know.
The dates I need are over 331 days out, will be loading for outbound in 10 days, but I am planning ahead. I see 20K availability for Thanksgiving week, a high demand week, so am guessing I'll see some for Xmas week as well.
just fyi, thanksgiving isn't comparable in demand and pricing to xmas.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.