Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Hawaii-Based Airlines
Reload this Page >

HA: Any Way To Upgrade An "H" Fare Without A Change Fee?

Old Aug 25, 04, 7:26 pm
Hoc
Original Poster

Location: San Juan Capistrano, CA; AA 2.5 MM, Bonvoy Titanium

A few months ago, I saw a great fare from LAX-HNL ($243 or so), and I jumped on it for a Thanksgiving flight home. After I booked it, I realized too late that it was an "H" fare, which does not accrue AA miles. It would be worth an extra hundred or so dollars to me if this flight were to accrue AA miles. However, even if I just want to change the fare basis, but keep all of the other flight details exactly the same, I am told that I will have to incur a change fee of approximately $150, in addition to the fare difference.

I just thought I'd ask any of you that are more familiar with HA's processes: is there any way to implement simply a change in fare basis, with no change in schedule or anything else, without paying a change fee on top of the fare difference? Also, if the "at the checkin counter" $150 upgrade is available, and I take it, will that change my fare basis so that I could accrue AA miles for the flight?

Thanks for your help.
Old Aug 25, 04, 9:56 pm
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Location: Honolulu, Hawaiʻi [+MKK4 EBBER R577 EDSEL R577 ELKEY EXERT]
Originally Posted by Hoc
I just thought I'd ask any of you that are more familiar with HA's processes: is there any way to implement simply a change in fare basis, with no change in schedule or anything else, without paying a change fee on top of the fare difference? Also, if the "at the checkin counter" $150 upgrade is available, and I take it, will that change my fare basis so that I could accrue AA miles for the flight?
Unfortunately, no and no. The HA agents will stick you with the charge to change your fare basis. You may, however, get F/A class, however, as I've happen to have received in the past.

Good luck!

aloha
Old Aug 27, 04, 12:25 am
Hoc
Original Poster

Well, that thoroughly sucks. But such is life, I guess.
Old Aug 27, 04, 10:23 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage & Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: American ExPlat; Marriott/SPG Lifetime Plat; Hyatt Globalist
If it is any consolation, very often, the next fare category is considerably higher than their common H fares. I used to run into this all the time with HA, when I was trying to buy an economy fare that would qualify for HP mileage. I'd try and try on the website, and it was either H or full Y. So, I'd call HA and they'd find other fares, but they were hundreds of dollars higher -- like double the price of the H fare. (Fortunately, now, there are usually first class fares on sale at a "reasonable" price, so I buy those and don't have to deal with the qualifying fare issue.)

I really think they are missing the boat here (I guess we can add it to the list of things they're missing). They have this silly rule about H and K fares. Ok fine. Don't they realize that there are a lot of mileage fanatics out here that would pay another $150 or maybe even $200 for a ticket, just to get miles into their favorite program? Wouldn't it be worth it to consistently offer a fare at that level that would qualify? All it's costing them is the price they pay the partner airline for the miles, which can't be anything close to what they'd be taking in. Seems to me like a profit opportunity, which they ought to be in the market for, given their current state.
Old Aug 27, 04, 11:18 am
Hoc
Original Poster

Originally Posted by AZ Travels the World
Seems to me like a profit opportunity, which they ought to be in the market for, given their current state.
It just might be that missing easy profit opportunities is one of the reasons they are in their current state.

Search this Thread