HA Service and Crew : Less than Competitors

Old Aug 16, 04, 3:49 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Advantage, AF Frequence Plus, NW World Perks, RG Smiles, QF Frequent Flyer, SQ Kris Flyer
Angry HA Service and Crew : Less than Competitors

Having flown Hawaiian Airlines 4 times on the Sacramento to Honolulu service and 2 times on Los Angeles to Honolulu service I have to say that overall they are not keeping up with the other airlines they are competing with.

True, Hawaiian Airlines has some serious problems on their hands. inclusive of selling SMF/LAX-HNL almost year round at $300-$400.00, while other airines in the market are equally as full and chanrging $100-$200.00 more.

The service on Hawaiian Airlines at best is hit and miss. The selection of food from the West Cost to Hawaii and return has been the saem selection for the past 4 months. It would be nice to see soemthing new once in a while. In addition The service is as follows: Headsets, Drinks, Meal, Movie, Water, and dont forget a semi open help yourself bar!

Isnt Hawaiian Airlines trying to make a name for theirselves? If so why arent they doing anything different from any other airline? They are still charging for headsets and the music and video presentations have little or nothing to be desired. And that is being a bit kind. Then you also have the new service to Sydney, which is performing well ala cheap tickets!

To my knowledge all of the Premium seats in that market are going to Qantas and Air Canada, who are offering a real Business Class product! The Hawaiian Airlines "Premium Service" is well to say the least in need of some serious beefing up! Combined with the appearance of the Flight Attendants..(get new uniforms, or ones that fit).. The lack of care for passengers .. (be sure you do you final safety checks at 10,000 feet - On my last two flights the FA's were chatting or non existent during what should be final seatback, seatbelt, and traytable checks)!

The WIngs of Aloha or whatever Hawaiian Airlines uses is not working so well. Compare Hawaiian Airlines to Air Tahiti Nui. A fellow airline in the Pacific. Compare the professional Cabin Crew, the new modern state of the art A340 fleet, and the superior inflight service and amenities. The same can be said for Air Pacific. Hawaii - If it is Hawaiis airlines needs a little more exposure to how things are done outside of the Inter-Island Termanil. Perseption is very important and that is why many choose UA 777, AA First Class, Delta Economy Class, and Continental Business First!

Of Course, we all have a choice.. And thankfully Hawaiian Airlines has done well so far, question is for how much longer until the bubble pops? Rumors have been flying with friends who are employees that there is a lot of term oil within the company and that even though the employees care for their airline, things are not going near as planned.. Up from a recent conversation was HA looking to replace the Boeing fleet with Airbus, a further staff reduction, and less than profitable operating costs!

Last edited by SMF777; Aug 16, 04 at 3:52 pm
Old Aug 16, 04, 4:19 pm
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Location: Honolulu, Hawaiʻi [+MKK4 EBBER R577 EDSEL R577 ELKEY EXERT]
Originally Posted by SMF777
Of Course, we all have a choice.. Up from a recent conversation was HA looking to replace the Boeing fleet with Airbus, a further staff reduction, and less than profitable operating costs!
You should really consider flying Aloha Airlines from SMF-HNL. In terms of on-board service, they really blow away any competitor IMHO, just as long as you can make the ride on a 73G (with a little more pitch and legroom).

That said, I've never has a problem with the on-board service with HA. Ground staff is a different story. As far as HA replacing their fleet with Airbii, that's never going to happen. Remember, HA is in a transitional period and has undergone changing of many hands, so its future is still up in the air (despite the profits made in the past handful of months).

aloha

Last edited by slippahs; Aug 17, 04 at 12:30 am
Old Aug 16, 04, 5:24 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, United
I just got back from Hawaii on HA and it was 'ok'. But 5 dollars for headsets! Thats really rediculous. I might as well bring my own laptop and movies. Food was okay, but it was packaged food...
Old Aug 16, 04, 6:19 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Advantage, AF Frequence Plus, NW World Perks, RG Smiles, QF Frequent Flyer, SQ Kris Flyer
Angry

Originally Posted by bmw14x5
I just got back from Hawaii on HA and it was 'ok'. But 5 dollars for headsets! Thats really rediculous. I might as well bring my own laptop and movies. Food was okay, but it was packaged food...
Rows 40 and up no matter what flight end up with the Pasta or Sandwich... By the way Hawaiian Airlines needs to realize that the $5.00 fee on a flight where competitors are giving them for free is recognized! In addition Hawaiian Airlines has been taking a beating from the recent expansion of NW, UA, and AQ in the market... Look for a not so great year end report... The Hawaiian pie is starting to go stale!
Old Aug 16, 04, 6:20 pm
Original Poster

Talking

Originally Posted by slippahs
As far as HA replacing their fleet with Airbii, that's never going to happen. Remember, HA is in a transitional period and has undergone changing of many hands, so its future is still up in the air (despite the profits made in the past handful of months).

aloha

Dont forget that Boeing is tearing Hawaiian to shreads with the outlandish lease rates! Once those leases are up.... Bye Bye Boeing!
Old Aug 16, 04, 8:58 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage & Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: American ExPlat; Marriott/SPG Lifetime Plat; Hyatt Globalist
. . . Rumors have been flying with friends who are employees that there is a lot of term oil within the company. . .
Oh, no! The dreaded term oil! (Sorry -- couldn't resist.)

I fly HA often, primarily because of the non-stop service from PHX. I've found the service adequate -- certainly as good or better than UA. The First Class seating, with the 2-2-2 seating in the 767, is a joke. Width-wise, a little better than the 2-3-2 in the back, but not much. And, boy do they pack those rows into coach. Yikes!

I don't know that there is a great choice to Hawaii anymore. At this point perhaps the best premium cabin would go to Continental's BusinessFirst. As for economy, probably American's More Room Throughout Coach.
Old Aug 16, 04, 9:12 pm
Original Poster

Wink

Originally Posted by AZ Travels the World
Oh, no! The dreaded term oil! (Sorry -- couldn't resist.)
Good One!

I know what you are saying... And what is the issue with the Boarding Call-

Wheelchairs
First Class
Small Children
Elite or Pualani -whatever-
Economy
Economy
Economy
Economy
Economy
Economy

Recently in Honolulu the Gate Agents at gate 35? Came around and took the boarding passes from each passenger in the borading area. They said that the computers were down... 3 trips in a row.... No, No, No

Any knowledge as to when A' (the LTU aircraft) will be retrofitted with the standard HA seating and interior?
Old Aug 17, 04, 4:44 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage & Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: American ExPlat; Marriott/SPG Lifetime Plat; Hyatt Globalist
. . . Recently in Honolulu the Gate Agents at gate 35? Came around and took the boarding passes from each passenger in the borading area. They said that the computers were down... 3 trips in a row.... No, No, No . . .
I don't know about computers being down, but they do this all the time. I'll bet every flight I've been on out of HNL in the past year they have either come around the seating area and torn off boarding cards, or they do it as you pass by the desk, entering into the gate seating area. They place an orange "HA Security Cleared" sticker on your boarding stub. Then you just show it as you walk on board. It probably helps them expedite boarding, as they can be logging you in as on-board before actual boarding begins.
Old Aug 17, 04, 5:39 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, United
I was at gate 33 and they didn't do that... Or maybe they did..
Old Aug 17, 04, 11:15 pm
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Location: Honolulu, Hawaiʻi [+MKK4 EBBER R577 EDSEL R577 ELKEY EXERT]
Originally Posted by AZ Travels the World
I don't know about computers being down, but they do this all the time. I'll bet every flight I've been on out of HNL in the past year they have either come around the seating area and torn off boarding cards, or they do it as you pass by the desk, entering into the gate seating area. They place an orange "HA Security Cleared" sticker on your boarding stub. Then you just show it as you walk on board. It probably helps them expedite boarding, as they can be logging you in as on-board before actual boarding begins.
This does seem to happen a lot more often then it should... I wonder what the prize is for the grounds crew that gets the most planes pushed back on-time. There must be one heck of an incentive.

aloha
Old Aug 18, 04, 8:52 am

Programs: OnePass
Wink

The service is as follows: Headsets, Drinks, Meal, Movie, Water, and dont forget a semi open help yourself bar!
Do they no longer serve the made-in-hawaii macadamia nut chocolate chip cookie ice cream sandwich for dessert in coach? I haven't flown Hawaiian for a few years, but that dessert was memorable.

Rumors have been flying with friends who are employees that there is a lot of term oil within the company and that even though the employees care for their airline, things are not going near as planned.. Up from a recent conversation was HA looking to replace the Boeing fleet with Airbus, a further staff reduction, and less than profitable operating costs!
I used to work for Hawaiian...everybody loved to talk rumors and gossip, more than any company I've ever worked at. It's fun, but most of it is worth little more than its entertainment value.
Old Aug 18, 04, 2:09 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by anthonyanthony

I used to work for Hawaiian...everybody loved to talk rumors and gossip, more than any company I've ever worked at. It's fun, but most of it is worth little more than its entertainment value.

Hawaiian Airlines seem to not understand that we do things differently on the Mainland and furthermore if they want to succed in todays airline industry they should probably start listening to the people on the Mainland and less to the ideas of the Beach Crowd base in HNL!
Old Aug 19, 04, 10:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
inclusive of selling SMF/LAX-HNL almost year round at $300-$400.00, while other airines in the market are equally as full and chanrging $100-$200.00 more.
...and...

By the way Hawaiian Airlines needs to realize that the $5.00 fee on a flight where competitors are giving them for free is recognized!
Seems like you're coming out at least $95 ahead.
Old Aug 20, 04, 7:42 am

Programs: Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Alaska MVP Gold
If Hawaiian is so wrong, then why do you guys fly them? Hey, you from Sacramento - go ahead and drop Hawaiian and go to SFO for UA if it is so much better.

Hawaiian has little competition to Hawaii from places other than the hub strong holds (SFO, LAX), so if you want a non-stop flight, this is your choice.....
Old Aug 20, 04, 11:19 am
Original Poster

Wink

Originally Posted by WebTraveler
Hawaiian has little competition to Hawaii from places other than the hub strong holds (SFO, LAX), so if you want a non-stop flight, this is your choice.....

Markets where HA does not have a stronghold:

LAS - Bulk of Hawaii traffic travels on UA via SFO/LAX
LAX - Bulk of Hawaii traffic travels on UA
PDX - Bulk of Hawaii traffic travels on UA via SFO
PHX - Bulk of Hawaii traffic travels on UA via SFO/LAX/DEN
SAN - Bulk of Hawaii traffic travels on UA via SFO/LAX
SEA - Bulk of Hawaii traffic travels on NW
SFO - Bulk of Hawaii traffic travels on UA
SMF - Bulk of Hawaii traffic travels on UA via SFO/LAX

This of course would explain why United Airlines and American Airlines have eaten away at Hawaiian Airlines marketshares on the West Coast. Furthermore the service as earlier stated on Hawaiian has a lot more to be desired. Compare Hawaiian Airlines to Continental, United, American, Northwest and Delta and you will see a night and day difference. Not to mention that Hawaiian Airlines operated singles flights to SMF, PDX, LAS wherein these markets are mainly United Airlines connection markets via LAX/SFO.

Hawaiian Airlines, needs to wake up and see what they are missing. Unfortunately, Hawaiian Airlines suffers from many ailments inclusive of:

A/ Lack of Vision - "Hawaii Starts Here" a slogan that needs to be inforced!

B/ Lack of Innovation - Boring 767-300, Boring Service, Boring Meals

C/ Lack of Service - Hawaiian for the most part only offers nonstoop to Honolulu and Kahului; Forutnately American Airlines, Aloha Airlines, United Airlines, Delta Airlines, Conitnental Airlines, American Trans Air, and Northwest Airlines also offer the same thing! Furthermore American Airlines, United Airlines, Aloha Airlines, and Northwest Airlines also offer Kona. American Airlines, Aloha Airlines, and United Airlines offer Lihue. Now who wants to go through the mess of chaning in Honolulu?????

D/ Lack of Desirable FF Program - Lack of "Premium", "Quality" partners!

E/ Lack of Professionalism : Compare to the professionalism of a Mainland US airline crew - Night and Day

F/ Lack of Organization : I.E. Checkin at Honolulu

G/ Lack of Premium Service : CO Business First, UA First Class, AA First Class are all miles above HA in the markets they serve to Hawaii.

H/ Lack of Quality Service : QF Business Class is unreachable from what little HA is offering in the HNL-SYD market.

Last edited by SMF777; Aug 20, 04 at 11:28 am

Search this Thread