Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Hawaii-Based Airlines
Reload this Page >

Hawaiian Airlines to partner with Island Air

Old Jun 12, 04, 2:48 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, RCC, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold

Looks like Hawaiian is pulling out of Lanai and Molokai after August 1. I hope I will be able to use my Northwest and American Airlines miles on Hawaiian Airlines operated by Island Air. I remember flying to Lanai on Hawaiian and it was never a full flight. I think Hawaiian should bring a couple of prop planes in to Hawaii to operate a flight that cannot be supported with jet service.

http://pacific.bizjournals.com/pacif...7/daily60.html
Old Jun 12, 04, 3:48 am
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Location: Honolulu, Hawaiʻi [+MKK4 EBBER R577 EDSEL R577 ELKEY EXERT]
If HA were to bring different types of jets in to service smaller markets that would mean higher maintainence costs for the company (for operating three types of aircraft -- one of the perks for AQ is that they go with the all 737 series a/c making it very easy to maintain). IMHO, it wouldn't be such a smart move, especially with a carrier that purchases their jet fuel from Japan to save costs (HA does not use HNL refineries).

I'm kind of torn at this announcement. Jet service to LNY and MKK was a pretty nice option because not everyone enjoys flying on Island Air's prop planes; however, HA would be adding service to ITO and OGG, which is also good because destinations like ITO needs more flights (even given a very good number of seats to ITO, it's still pretty jam packed on those flights).

Thanks flyhawaii for the update. Below are some excepts from the article you posted above.

The airline will add a flight in the morning on the Honolulu to Maui route and an afternoon flight on the Honolulu to Hilo route starting Aug. 1. It expands each route by 861 seats per week.

To gain more seat capacity and exit the nonperforming Lanai and Molokai markets, Hawaiian will tie up with Island Air.

Hawaiian's new code-share pact with Island Air, effective Aug. 1, will enable the former to pull out its daily service to Lanai and Molokai. The airline will offer instead Island Air's seven flights to Lanai and eight flights to Molokai.

"Our 37-seat de Havilland Dash-8 aircraft are better suited to serve smaller airports and resort communities with greater frequency than their jets," said Neil Takekawa, president and CEO of Island Air. "It makes sense for us to work together where our operations complement each other."
It's kind of interesting that Neil Takekawa, I just noticed, is pres. and CEO of Island Air. He worked his way up from Aloha as Customer Service Manager in the 90ies.

Also:

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp...o_kitv/2245303

The people of Molokai and Lanai will be without jet airline service beginning later this summer.

Residents of Lanai and Molokai have already grown to depend on the small planes of Island Air since Hawaiian only flies once a day. But they worry that Island Air will be their only airline.

"If that one carrier doesn't happen to be running that day, then what do we do?" said Rick Gonsalves, of Lanai. "What if there's an emergency? How do (we) react to that?"

The loss of cargo capacity is a major concern for farmers on Molokai who depended on Hawaiian's big planes to get fresh produce to Oahu and the west coast.
Also from HA's website: http://www.hawaiianair.com/about/cor...ection_377.asp

aloha

Last edited by slippahs; Jun 12, 04 at 5:02 am
Old Jun 12, 04, 8:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by slippahs
If HA were to bring different types of jets in to service smaller markets that would mean higher maintainence costs for the company (for operating three types of aircraft -- one of the perks for AQ is that they go with the all 737 series a/c making it very easy to maintain). aloha
I would imagine it is a little more complex than that. AQ uses the really old outdated (but still "legal" for HA/AK use) Stage II B737-200s in interisland use. I doubt is many of the spare parts for it would be useable in their nice newer modern B737-700s especially the instrumention and engine thingees.

MisterNice
Old Jun 12, 04, 8:24 am

Programs: Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Alaska MVP Gold
The two times I have flown there had 8 and 11 people on my 717 plane....it was almost a joke even flying there to begin with if you think about it.

Search this Thread