Pacific Wings?

Old Aug 4, 03, 1:47 pm
Original Poster

Pacific Wings?

Anybody have experience with these guys, whether chartered or scheduled?
Old Aug 4, 03, 4:29 pm
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Location: Honolulu, Hawaiʻi [+MKK4 EBBER R577 EDSEL R577 ELKEY EXERT]
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Jim Phillips:
Anybody have experience with these guys, whether chartered or scheduled?</font>
I've flown with them once. The pilot was very nice and professional; however, flying in a Cessna didn't quite appeal to me. Pacific Wings get Federal funding to fly to less-popular/smaller airports throughout the islands, and although they have flights to Kahului to compete with Aloha and Hawaiian, they still are the cheapest way to hop the islands. I believe roundtrip tickets are at $120 or less. Charters might be a bit more expensive, especially when flying to other islands. Pacific Wings operates out of the smaller interisland terminal at HNL, which leaves way for less congestion and with only a handful of pax on each flight, there is less of a chance that you'll be delayed, etc.

I think if you want a faster ride, you should consider flying the two main carriers, Aloha and Hawaiian. However, if you're looking to save a few bucks and don't mind riding in a Cessna, maybe Pacific Wings is the best choice for you. As not a big fan of riding in such a small airplane over the Moloka'i Channel, I wouldn't recommend it.

More information on Pacific Wings: http://www.pacificwings.com/

Hope this helps. Aloha
Old Aug 4, 03, 6:05 pm

Programs: Delta 2MM/GM , HH <>, AX-Plat
I just flew with them Tuesday HNL-Hana-Kahului. The Hana - Kahului hop is quite special 'cause they flew at 1000' and you got tremendous views of the coastline, waterfalls, etc.

A few considerations: there is a nonpublished per pax checked luggage limit of 40#. It may or may not be a factor for most flights. If you connect to another interisland operation or a mainland flight then you have to clear security all over again after flying Kahului.

Oh, and most importantly no frequent flyer miles that I know of except for the credit card purchase!

Wish I was flying 1000' over the Maui coastline right now!

Jim
Old Aug 4, 03, 6:49 pm
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for the feedback.

I have flown the Molokai Channel myself in small aircraft, so the idea is not so daunting to me.

I think I will check out this option. At least the in flight conversation with a fellow pilot should be more engaging than overhearing the giddy cacophony of a bunch of cheesy tourists on a once-in-a-lifetime trip. I was once on an AQ flight when a pair of dudes sporting mullets and the confederate x-cross on those characteristic black t-shirts were so trashed that they actually puked en route. I think this is what has me re-thinking various options for interisland egress.

[This message has been edited by Jim Phillips (edited 08-04-2003).]
Old Aug 6, 03, 2:14 pm

Programs: BA, DL, HA, etc
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Jim Phillips:
Thanks everyone for the feedback.

I have flown the Molokai Channel myself in small aircraft, so the idea is not so daunting to me.
</font>
I too have flown the Molokai to Oahu route in a small plane, although I don't remember the airline. There was an outrigger race below us. As the heavy passengers all leaned to the left to see better, the plane started to dramatically tilt. As we aproached Oahu and started the descent, it felt like Splash Mountain at Disney World. I thought, what a wonderfully beautiful city to crash into... :-)

Editied to correct spelling and add that I had no clue as to the airline ;-)

[This message has been edited by Lavarock7 (edited 08-06-2003).]
Old Aug 8, 03, 10:16 am

We flew them from HNL to Lanai and back. Great fun - much better than the bus-like feel of the Aloha and Hawaiian inter-island services. We had lots of luggage - I don't recall being charged extra for it but they struggled to get our bags into the nose compartment!

Search this Thread