Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Hawaii-Based Airlines
Reload this Page >

New/Inexperienced Agents Answering HA Elite Line

Old Nov 6, 2021, 1:47 pm
Original Poster

I was wondering if anyone else has recently noticed agents answering the Pualani Elite line have been very inexperienced. In the past, I would usually be able to get whatever I needed done quickly and the agents were very familiar with rules, processes, etc. I would also recognize familiar names when they answered. Recently, I have had very inexperienced agents who were not familiar with basic things like changing flights on a reservation booked with the neighbor island travel plan. The last agent I spoke with last week took several minutes just to pull up the reservation that I was calling about. I started to have flashbacks to when HA first sent their reservations operations to the Philippines. Just wondering if I've just been unlucky or if others have recently experienced similarly. I get that we were all new at our jobs at some point, but it seems counter-intuitive to have calls from the elite line routed to these new employees. I'd much rather wait a few minutes for an experienced agent than have my call answered after one ring by an inexperienced/clueless agent. I also wondered if maybe Hawaiian changed call center companies.
Old Nov 8, 2021, 12:10 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, HA Plat
No recent experience calling, so no perspective to offer.
Old Nov 10, 2021, 3:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Well, here is my experience today. Have a flight from HNL-ITO tomorrow. Tried to check in online. Kept erroring out when trying to select seat. On a main cabin ticket but had no seat assigned and back of the bus showing 100% full, no seats to select. Only seat available during check-in process was 1F. As a Platinum I can take this seat as my free upgrade. I could select it, and it said $0, but when tried to save it got error saying try again or check in at the airport. Tried a couple times same thing and 1F always showed available. Called the elite line and explained, they had same issues and put me on hold twice to try and figure it out. At the end they said they could not get it to go through but said they put a block on the seat and notes in my record and I should be able to get it when I get to the airport tomorrow. I have little faith that this will actually happen and I get the seat tomorrow though the seat map does show it taken now. But it also now shows one seat in the back available so I have a strong feeling the person in the now available seat in the back got the first class seat. Guess I will find out tomorrow. All in all the call did not resolve the issue of all the errors during check in.
Old Nov 10, 2021, 5:27 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Baze
Well, here is my experience today. Have a flight from HNL-ITO tomorrow. Tried to check in online. Kept erroring out when trying to select seat. On a main cabin ticket but had no seat assigned and back of the bus showing 100% full, no seats to select. Only seat available during check-in process was 1F. As a Platinum I can take this seat as my free upgrade. I could select it, and it said $0, but when tried to save it got error saying try again or check in at the airport. Tried a couple times same thing and 1F always showed available. Called the elite line and explained, they had same issues and put me on hold twice to try and figure it out. At the end they said they could not get it to go through but said they put a block on the seat and notes in my record and I should be able to get it when I get to the airport tomorrow. I have little faith that this will actually happen and I get the seat tomorrow though the seat map does show it taken now. But it also now shows one seat in the back available so I have a strong feeling the person in the now available seat in the back got the first class seat. Guess I will find out tomorrow. All in all the call did not resolve the issue of all the errors during check in.
As a Platinum, I have had this EXACT problem on my last 3 inter-island trips since late last month, including today. The last 2 times, when I tried to go back and check in again, the seats were taken by someone else. Today, on my second attempt, the upgraded seat actually took. I reported this each time to the Web Support (even if you call Web Support directly, if the system recognizes you through your phone number, it rings the Elite Desk and they have to manually transfer you to Web Support). Every time they say it's the first they're hearing of it but they will escalate to their programmers and upper management. I don't really care for the the new web checkin interface. It aesthetically nicer, but seems to take longer and while the older one was very basic, it worked without any issues or problems. Also, have you noticed now that as a Platinum, 4A and 4B are no longer selectable at checkin for inter-island flights even if they are open/available? I have to ask at the counter or in the Premier lounge to move to those seats. I reported this latter issue to the mobile app email address since at least those folks are based here in HNL.
Old Nov 10, 2021, 7:15 pm

I’ve also had problems checking in for my last few interisland trips. I haven’t ended up with no seat, but upgrades and seat changes fail to stick as often as not. Have sort of given up on trying to improve my seats until they get the bugs sorted.
Old Nov 10, 2021, 8:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Update, was able to check in for my afternoon return flight ITO-HNL and even got an F seat upgrade. Did take a couple tries though. Got same message as this morning on first attempt. 2nd attempt went through.
Old Nov 11, 2021, 12:21 am
Original Poster

Update, was able to check in for my afternoon return flight ITO-HNL and even got an F seat upgrade. Did take a couple tries though. Got same message as this morning on first attempt. 2nd attempt went through.
Just curious what browser you're using if you're doing check-in on a laptop/desktop. Mentioned this to my brother and he hasn't been having the problem; he said he uses Firefox. I've been using MS Edge. I'll try to use Firefox on my way back on Sunday.
Old Nov 12, 2021, 5:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by hawaii777
Just curious what browser you're using if you're doing check-in on a laptop/desktop. Mentioned this to my brother and he hasn't been having the problem; he said he uses Firefox. I've been using MS Edge. I'll try to use Firefox on my way back on Sunday.
Chrome on a Windows 10 laptop.

For the HNL-ITO flight got to the airport. No seat and no notes in record. Plane showed 100% full. Finally got my seat assignment, 5D on the 717, 2 minutes before they started boarding.
Old Nov 15, 2021, 5:35 pm
Original Poster

Chrome on a Windows 10 laptop.

For the HNL-ITO flight got to the airport. No seat and no notes in record. Plane showed 100% full. Finally got my seat assignment, 5D on the 717, 2 minutes before they started boarding.
Thanks! I couldn't test it out with a different browser on my return flight since First was booked full. I'll try again over Thanksgiving although that may be a hard time to get an upgrade.
Old Nov 18, 2021, 12:00 am

Programs: HA Platinum, UA Silver
Called HA reservations yesterday and there is definitely a huge change.
Took almost an hour to process a flight change that included an upgrade.
I wish HA would have warned us about the change.
Definitely required a lot of patience because the agent (who was very polite and sweet) kept reading a script without actually comprehending what I was calling about. Itʻs obvious they are not trained well and I felt really sorry for the agent.
It wouldnʻt be so bad if their website had more functionality, but for a lot of issues regarding changes and upgrades it must all be done over the phone.

Now Iʻm trying to remember how long it took for the old agents to get up to speed when res was first outsourced because I have lots of COVID-cxld flt credits I need to use up by mid-2022.
Old Nov 19, 2021, 1:03 pm
Original Poster

Thanks! I couldn't test it out with a different browser on my return flight since First was booked full. I'll try again over Thanksgiving although that may be a hard time to get an upgrade.
Co-worker had same problem this morning for flight tomorrow. She used Firefox so it's not browser-related it seems. She tried calling web support. After being on hold for 55 minutes, the person said that they don't accept or report issues with the website at web support (?!). She said that if there was a problem with the website, you had to send a message to consumer affairs to complain and they would be the ones to notify back office IT department. SERIOUSLY?!
747FC likes this.

Last edited by hawaii777; Nov 19, 2021 at 8:24 pm
Old Nov 29, 2021, 7:56 pm

Now it seems that better seats just aren't available at all, either at initial purchase or checkin. I've been stuck between row 9 and 14 or thereabout on recent interisland trips, even when booking a couple of weeks out and checking in right at T-24. That may be partly because they've cut the schedule on the HNL-ITO flights I use most, but it's significantly worse even than full flights pre-pandemic. It continues to boggle my mind that this airline does so little to make life easier for its most frequent customers. I really don't want to fly Southwest, and their schedule isn't yet viable anyway, but I sure can't see any sign that Hawaiian management cares about keeping my business.
Old Nov 30, 2021, 10:02 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by WrightHI
Now it seems that better seats just aren't available at all, either at initial purchase or checkin. I've been stuck between row 9 and 14 or thereabout on recent interisland trips, even when booking a couple of weeks out and checking in right at T-24. That may be partly because they've cut the schedule on the HNL-ITO flights I use most, but it's significantly worse even than full flights pre-pandemic. It continues to boggle my mind that this airline does so little to make life easier for its most frequent customers. I really don't want to fly Southwest, and their schedule isn't yet viable anyway, but I sure can't see any sign that Hawaiian management cares about keeping my business.
Not sure if this may be related, but I recently noticed in the last few months that when you actually are booking your ticket, the seat map during booking does not show the "better" seats on the seat map. If you go in to your itinerary after purchase and open the seat map, the better seats in the 2-seater in the front of coach open up. I also reported this to web support and well... you know how that goes!
Old Dec 3, 2021, 11:18 pm

Not sure if this may be related, but I recently noticed in the last few months that when you actually are booking your ticket, the seat map during booking does not show the "better" seats on the seat map. If you go in to your itinerary after purchase and open the seat map, the better seats in the 2-seater in the front of coach open up. I also reported this to web support and well... you know how that goes!
I remember that one at times in the past but havent encountered it recently. What I have seen recently is more of an absence of the old pattern of better seats opening up closer to flight time (but before the check-in window) when blocks were released. Sometimes I wonder if HA IT is just messing with us.
Old Dec 29, 2021, 11:32 pm
Original Poster

Thumbs down Interisland Platinum Upgrade/Seat Change Error Still Persists

As a Platinum, I have had this EXACT problem on my last 3 inter-island trips since late last month, including today. The last 2 times, when I tried to go back and check in again, the seats were taken by someone else. Today, on my second attempt, the upgraded seat actually took. I reported this each time to the Web Support (even if you call Web Support directly, if the system recognizes you through your phone number, it rings the Elite Desk and they have to manually transfer you to Web Support). Every time they say it's the first they're hearing of it but they will escalate to their programmers and upper management. I don't really care for the the new web checkin interface. It aesthetically nicer, but seems to take longer and while the older one was very basic, it worked without any issues or problems. Also, have you noticed now that as a Platinum, 4A and 4B are no longer selectable at checkin for inter-island flights even if they are open/available? I have to ask at the counter or in the Premier lounge to move to those seats. I reported this latter issue to the mobile app email address since at least those folks are based here in HNL.
I hadn't had this happen to me over several flights, so I thought this was fixed. Unfortunately, it happened again tonight... I wish they would get this fixed.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.