Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Hawaii-Based Airlines
Reload this Page >

COVID-19 Hawaiian Airlines Network/Flight Schedule/Cancellations/Restart of Routes

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

COVID-19 Hawaiian Airlines Network/Flight Schedule/Cancellations/Restart of Routes

Search this Thread

Old May 14, 2020, 8:38 pm
bec
Original Poster

I just looked at our flight from JFK-Honolulu and there still is no schedule changed on the 25th of June for a non stop flight. It is available to fly with a discounted price but only 1/2 full. Does this mean most have cancelled their flight and received the credit?. Hawaii is on a 14 day quarantine until the end of June and we obviously now are waiting for HA to change the schedule or cancel the flight altogether so we can receive a refund. Would it be possible that they fly anyway with a 1/2 empty flight and not care if we have to be quarantined in our hotel room or will they try and do as the island is doing and cancel?

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; May 15, 2020 at 5:39 am Reason: original thread title was too vague - https://www.flyertalk.com/help/rules.php#threadtitles
Old May 14, 2020, 9:08 pm

Programs: AS 75K
Most airlines are waiting until closer to the flight date to cancel. Expect Hawaiian to do the same. The best indicator I've found is to watch your favorite flight tracker to see what is actually flying.... not what is scheduled. With the governor extending the 14-day quarantine through the end of June things throughout June will probably look somewhat similar to how they have looked through May as far as routes, etc.
Old May 14, 2020, 11:08 pm

Programs: AA PLT, AAdv since Day One
HA 51 is cancelled through the end of May. It is 99% certain it will eventually be cancelled on your departure date and beyond. The locals have a better at home order through June and tourists are effectively persona non grata for some time beyond that with a 14 day quarantine. Wait for the flight to be cancelled then ask for a refund back to your original form of credit. Just keep checking on your own, don’t wait for HA to contact you.
Old May 15, 2020, 7:05 am
bec
Original Poster

Thank you!!
Old May 15, 2020, 8:22 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Do nothing. Late June is the distant future and HA itself has no idea whether and what it will be operating. If your flight is cancelled or substantially changed, you are due a refund. If it goes, at worst, you can take a credit just as you can do today. Because JFK-HNL is the only East Coast departure, anything changing realistically means a cancellation and reroute using non-HA flights, which gets you a refund for yet a third reason.
Old May 15, 2020, 11:14 am

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Unless some lucrative cargo contract is picked up - which is unlikely, expect HA to only fly LAX, SFO, SEA and interisland in June.

Cancellations may end up being last minute - although the quarantine extension was only announced yesterday, so they may proactively take flights off of schedule soon.
Old May 15, 2020, 1:31 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, Global Entry
Originally Posted by Often1
Because JFK-HNL is the only East Coast departure.
They also flew to BOS, although it might be a long time before that route actually comes back.
Old May 19, 2020, 7:46 pm
bec
Original Poster

HA is indeed playing a game of "chicken". Hilton Hawaiian Village cancelled on me today...but HA is still holding on.
Old May 20, 2020, 9:51 am

Originally Posted by bec
HA is indeed playing a game of "chicken". Hilton Hawaiian Village cancelled on me today...but HA is still holding on.
As mentioned earlier - they may not officially cancel until a few days before the flight in order to hold on to the money longer - this isn't unique to Hawaiian.
Old May 20, 2020, 10:27 am
bec
Original Poster

I know..I am trying to patiently wait
Old May 21, 2020, 4:08 am
bec
Original Poster

I woke up this morning to the cancellation of the flights but not my interisland. So I will end up with a credit for the interisland and a refund for the main flight. We cannot go back next year so I really hope they end up cancelling the interisland as well.

Last edited by bec; May 21, 2020 at 7:31 am
Old Jun 11, 2020, 10:17 am

Programs: UA, AA
HA cancelled our interisland about 2 weeks out.
Old Jun 16, 2020, 10:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Location: Honolulu, Hawaiʻi [+MKK4 EBBER R577 EDSEL R577 ELKEY EXERT]
Latest round of updates (as of June 10) show that HA is restarting HNL-PDX service beginning July 1, 2020 ( https://www.hawaiianairlines.com/coronavirus )

So we will have:

HNL-LAX
HNL-SFO
HNL-SEA
HNL-PDX (July 1)
HNL-ITO/KOA/LIH/OGG x5 daily
HNL-MKK/LNY 2x daily

HNL-PPG may restart July 1

Japan/ICN/PPT routes suspended through July 14 and Australia/NZ suspended through July 31.
Old Jun 16, 2020, 10:58 am

I'm surprised they didn't restart a Vegas flight
Old Jun 25, 2020, 10:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Location: Honolulu, Hawaiʻi [+MKK4 EBBER R577 EDSEL R577 ELKEY EXERT]
HA's June 24, 2020 update reads: "All U.S. Mainland routes are suspended through July 27, excluding the once-daily service between Honolulu and Los Angeles/San Francisco/Seattle/Portland (starting July 1)/San Diego and Sacramento (starting July 15). Service between Kahului and Līhu‘e/Hilo/Kona will resume starting July 15. All French Polynesia, Korea and Japan routes (excluding Chitose) are suspended through July 27 as well. Flights between Honolulu and Chitose are suspended through July 25."

Really interesting that July 27 is the key date, prior to the partial lifting of the quarantine.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.