Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Hawaii-Based Airlines
Reload this Page >

COVID-19 Hawaiian Airlines Network/Flight Schedule/Cancellations/Restart of Routes

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

COVID-19 Hawaiian Airlines Network/Flight Schedule/Cancellations/Restart of Routes

Search this Thread

Old Jun 26, 2020, 5:18 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by slippahs

Really interesting that July 27 is the key date, prior to the partial lifting of the quarantine.
The Lt Gov implied this morning that Hawaii residents who take trips to the mainland won't have to quarantine or take a test if the trip is less than 6 days. Maybe they will be gearing up for resident demand.
Old Jul 30, 2020, 1:44 pm

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
FYI, HA is operating at 15% capacity, and will be downsizing. Currently, planning on cutting around 25% of staffing:

https://www.staradvertiser.com/2020/...han-2000-jobs/

Neighbor of mine just returned from the Mainland, and reported around 40 people on the A330.

This is only going to get worse.
Old Jul 31, 2020, 12:54 pm

Originally Posted by 747FC

This is only going to get worse.
Far worse. I see practically no chance the State reopens Sept 1, and even if they did - very few people unless something really changes, won't get test results within 72 hours to even make a trip feasible - and that is just the mainland. A lot of people don't realize that they flew to more international destinations than the mainland - and who knows when international travel will open back up again.
florens likes this.
Old Jul 31, 2020, 7:03 pm
azj

Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
Far worse. I see practically no chance the State reopens Sept 1, and even if they did - very few people unless something really changes, won't get test results within 72 hours to even make a trip feasible - and that is just the mainland. A lot of people don't realize that they flew to more international destinations than the mainland - and who knows when international travel will open back up again.
Domestic (mainland US) accounted for roughly 50% of Hawaiian's operation pre-Covid. The the other 50% was split relatively even between inter-island and international. There are 13 mainland destinations and 10 international destinations (11 if you count the Tokyo airports separately.)

To your other point... I agree. I don't think the state will be ready by Sept 1st.
Old Aug 1, 2020, 12:12 pm

Originally Posted by azj
Domestic (mainland US) accounted for roughly 50% of Hawaiian's operation pre-Covid. The the other 50% was split relatively even between inter-island and international. There are 13 mainland destinations and 10 international destinations (11 if you count the Tokyo airports separately.)

To your other point... I agree. I don't think the state will be ready by Sept 1st.
I forgot about Boston and dropping Beijing, and I'd argue SF, San Jose, Oakland are 1 destination - anyway, my real point is international flying is a huge blow to HA. Regarding Sept 1, even the CVS website says expect test results in 6-10 days, unless a testing miracle occurs on the mainland, I don't see how it will be feasible for people to make the 72 testing requirements - and CVS won't even test you if you are under 18 or not resident of the State or don't meet other testing criteria - and CVS is being touted as a major testing partner.
Old Aug 6, 2020, 6:55 pm

Interisland quarantine starts again Aug 11 - so likely a reduction in interisland flights. Don't see how Hawaii reopens Sept 1, with beaches on Oahu closed until Sept 5
Old Sep 15, 2020, 3:38 am

Programs: AS MVPG, HA Plat 75k, CA Phoenix Gold
It now looks like Pre-Travel testing will not start on October 1.

That said, is there still any chance that Hawaiian Japan or Korea service might come back in limited fashion later this year? What would be the trigger that would have to be met for that (e.g. pre-testing, a bubble agreement between Hawaii and Japan, etc., etc.)?
Old Sep 15, 2020, 10:29 am

Programs: AS MVPG, HA Plat
I think the main trigger would be state and county governments getting their acts together, which doesn’t appear to be imminent. There’s increasing pressure to make something happen, but doesn’t appear to be much focused action in response.
HNLbasedFlyer likes this.
Old Sep 15, 2020, 1:15 pm

Thanks, WrightHI, that would be my assessment, too. I guess I just needed to hear it from someone else.

To be fair to our local governments... is a larger "reopening" of tourism really feasible? The actions of the few seem to constantly endanger the sacrifices of the many. (For an example outside Hawai'i, https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-...tying-22678037, where a party hungry traveling individual managed to plunge the reopened German tourist town of Garmisch Patenkirchen into a testing frenzy and lockdown panic last week.)

I could still see a limited travel bubble between Japan and Hawai'i working. Both places are heavily tourism dependent and we both just went through second waves, so we are in similar places.

Last edited by Alex909; Sep 15, 2020 at 7:44 pm
Old Sep 15, 2020, 2:07 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, HA Plat
I've been very skeptical about the feasibility of large-scale tourism reopening, primarily because many of the things people like to do on vacation here involve close contact with others. Indoor dining and especially indoor drinking look like a no-go for the foreseeable future. But masks seem to make a huge difference in making more limited contact workable, and outdoor dining seems to have been pretty safe and successful elsewhere. It looks like it should be possible to put together a plan that would permit a limited amount of tourism if we had the right safeguards and sensible enforcement measures. But that appears to be a Jupiter-sized "if" for Hawaii right now.
Old Sep 15, 2020, 11:39 pm
azj

HNL-NRT returns 1/wk starting October 1st offering pax service. This is in addition to the 3/wk cargo flight. HNL-LAS returns 1/day on the 321neo. PPG returns 1/wk on 330. More 321neo inter-island flying. The rest is basically what's been flying in August/Sept.
Old Sep 16, 2020, 12:23 am

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
Originally Posted by azj
HNL-NRT returns 1/wk starting October 1st offering pax service. This is in addition to the 3/wk cargo flight. HNL-LAS returns 1/day on the 321neo. PPG returns 1/wk on 330. More 321neo inter-island flying. The rest is basically what's been flying in August/Sept.
Do you know what the market is for the NRT flights? According to the Japan forum, it seems like only Japanese nationals and permanent residents can gain entry to Japan.
Old Sep 16, 2020, 2:18 pm
azj

Originally Posted by 747FC
Do you know what the market is for the NRT flights? According to the Japan forum, it seems like only Japanese nationals and permanent residents can gain entry to Japan.
I'm not sure what the motivation behind this is. IMO, it's out of left field, but HAL wouldn't be doing it just for fun. Maybe its to supplement the cargo flights while attempting some grab at pax revenue as well. Like all the west coast flights.
747FC likes this.
Old Sep 16, 2020, 7:36 pm

Thank you for the update, azj, this is great news. We may not have noticed it otherwise. Wife and I will will take advantage of this flight to be able to take care of a terminally ill family member there.

Last edited by Alex909; Sep 16, 2020 at 8:25 pm
Old Sep 17, 2020, 2:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
My JFK HNL flight in early October was just cancelled

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.