Community
Wiki Posts
Search

HA Service to Australia

Search this Thread

Old May 7, 2020, 7:33 pm
Original Poster

Programs: IHG Rewards Platinum, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, UA/DL/AA Back of the plane...
HA Service to Australia

I looked for this and have not seen any discussion on this and am new to this forum. I know with Covid-19 predicting service / routes is really a crap shoot, but is there any ideas of when HA will be flying between AU and Hawaii again? A friend would just as soon get money back for a trip in July but the flights are still on the schedule. Has HA given much advance notice for what their plans are?
Old May 7, 2020, 7:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
There is a possibility that your friend may need to take the flight.

Many airlines have been eager to resume service. Not exactly over, but things have been better now. So July travel may be a possibility.
Old May 7, 2020, 8:14 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, Global Entry
With HI closed off to international tourism for the foreseeable future, and Australia with its current approach, I would be very surprised if the SYD or BNE flights operated in July.
Old May 7, 2020, 8:31 pm
Original Poster

Programs: IHG Rewards Platinum, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, UA/DL/AA Back of the plane...
Originally Posted by garykung
There is a possibility that your friend may need to take the flight.

Many airlines have been eager to resume service. Not exactly over, but things have been better now. So July travel may be a possibility.
Originally Posted by Taoyuan
With HI closed off to international tourism for the foreseeable future, and Australia with its current approach, I would be very surprised if the SYD or BNE flights operated in July.
These two different opinions are what I thought too! Yes or No!

I think it is most likely the second and suggested they wait and see but thought that there might be some insight here!
Old May 7, 2020, 9:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by fwfdan
I looked for this and have not seen any discussion on this and am new to this forum. I know with Covid-19 predicting service / routes is really a crap shoot, but is there any ideas of when HA will be flying between AU and Hawaii again? A friend would just as soon get money back for a trip in July but the flights are still on the schedule. Has HA given much advance notice for what their plans are?
Australia is unlikely to be open to visitors for many many months. My guess in none for 2020, other than NZ citizens/resident.(AU<-->NZ maybe in July)
Given that COVID-19 looks to be out of control and increasing in USA, IMHO USA will be last in line for entry to Australia. A long last.
Currently only AU citizens/permanent residents and very limited others can enter Australia. AU citizens cannot leave unless a specific exemption is granted.

Link--->https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-05-...tions/12225602
PM can't see international travel happening any time soon
"I can't see that happening any time soon. There's nothing on our radar which would see us opening up international travel in the foreseeable future. There are already some very, very minor exceptions, where the Border Force can provide an exemption for outbound travel, but that's in areas like facilitating development aid in third countries and things like that. It's a very limited set of circumstances."
Even if an airline is flying, that does mean passengers will be allowed entry
UA are flying SFO-SYD daily, but no tourists.

Last edited by Mwenenzi; May 8, 2020 at 5:11 pm Reason: Corrected year 2019-->2020
Old May 7, 2020, 10:11 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
If travel is prohibited for the customer's passport/residence by governments at the origin and/or destination (or transit points), is it clear that the customer is entitled to a full refund (in cash to the original form of booking)? What if the government at either end imposes a mandatory fourteen day quarantine period?
Old May 7, 2020, 10:24 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
The issue will be, as noted, that your friend won’t be able to travel as he won’t be admitted to Australia.
Old May 7, 2020, 10:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

off topic

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
If travel is prohibited for the customer's passport/residence by governments at the origin and/or destination (or transit points), is it clear that the customer is entitled to a full refund (in cash to the original form of booking)? What if the government at either end imposes a mandatory fourteen day quarantine period?
It is always the passengers responsibility to ensure they have the correct passport/visa/documentation to enter/transit a country. Not the airlines problem or airlines cost if they can't. No different to say a pax getting a criminal conviction after buying a ticket that no longer allows entry. But in todays COVID19 times government requirements can change at short notice or even whilst inflight.
Really in these times depends on any waiver airlines grant

on topic
Old May 7, 2020, 10:41 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Some airlines offer refunds if the passenger applies for a visa and is rejected. The situation here seems similar. I suspect that whether a refund is due or whether one can get a credit after paying a change fee will depend on the specific airline's CoC as well as the fare rules.
Old May 7, 2020, 10:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

off topic
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Some airlines offer refunds if the passenger applies for a visa and is rejected. The situation here seems similar. I suspect that whether a refund is due or whether one can get a credit after paying a change fee will depend on the specific airline's CoC as well as the fare rules.
LH is the only airline I am aware of that did(does?) this (85% confidence level)

Any way this is off topic for HA flights to Australia

on topic
Old May 7, 2020, 10:52 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
I don’t believe any airline currently offers a cash refund if the destination border is closed to the traveler.
Mwenenzi likes this.
Old May 8, 2020, 2:24 am

Programs: AS MVPG, Global Entry
HA is making incremental schedule updates. Just have your friend wait until the July schedule is released and those flights are officially canceled.
Old May 8, 2020, 10:56 am

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by fwfdan
A friend would just as soon get money back for a trip in July but the flights are still on the schedule. Has HA given much advance notice for what their plans are?
Although unlikely Hawaii will be open to international tourism AND entry requirements are relaxed in Australia in July - you are at the mercy of HA cancelling the flight - and there is simply no incentive to do until as late as they can and hold your money.
Old May 8, 2020, 4:02 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
off topic

LH is the only airline I am aware of that did(does?) this (85% confidence level)

Any way this is off topic for HA flights to Australia

on topic
Even LH only offers a refund if the passenger applies for a visa and it is rejected. That is not this circumstance, even on an LH ticket. But, the "friend" is not flying on LH.

Cancelled - If the flight is cancelled, the friend is due a full refund to the original form of payment, e.g. credit card.
Not Cancelled - The friend may either fly and, presuming that he meets entry requirements (extremely doubtful), he is on his way. Or he may take advantage of the special waiver and cancel his reservation. It will serve as a credit for approximately 2 years and any change fees (but not fare difference) will be waived.

What does it mean to cancel my ticket? By canceling your ticket, you will not be charged a cancellation fee and the unused value of the ticket may be applied towards the purchase of a new ticket until the ticket expires. Tickets purchased before March 1, 2020 are valid through May 31, 2022 and tickets purchased between March 1, 2020 and May 31, 2020 are valid for two years from the ticket purchase date. Once the cancellation is complete, please note that you will not be able to rebook your ticket online. When you are ready to rebook, you will need to contact our Reservations department prior to your ticket expiration date to have your change fee waived (any applicable difference in fare may apply).

For this reason, the friend gains nothing by cancelling now. Travel is not until July. Whenever the flight is cancelled, then ask for a refund. That could be on the day of scheduled travel. If by some chance the flight goes and presuming that the friend does not wish to or cannot travel, then take the credit. But, don't do it now. A credit is simply an interest-free loan and that is a poor idea.

Last edited by Often1; May 8, 2020 at 4:24 pm
Old May 8, 2020, 8:13 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the advice everyone... I have been dealing with US to Europe travel myself - I think that AU to Hawaii is a bit more complex but similar advice - wait and see.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.